If I Were Mayor | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor

By Awardwinner GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Awardwinner GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Being a mayor requires passion, determination, and drive. It takes a person with those qualities to be the face of your city and perform the tasks called for you. Even if people don’t know it, the mayor is the head of police and fire departments. The mayor is in meetings to please the people he is representing. If the city were a business, the mayor is the Chief Executive Officer. All of these tasks requires the right person for the job. If I was mayor of Waukesha, Wisconsin, I would do the job right.

One issue that I would address immediately would be drug prevention. This is an issue that has plagued young kids and adults and has ruined lives across this state. Overdoses have devastated communities. This issue has been increasing every year and unless something is done about it, more innocent children are going to succumb to drug use. Implementing drug prevention programs throughout schools will spread the word about the harmful effects and hopefully stir students away. We would have activities for the students to do during school time as well as weekend programs where they are actively involved and engaged. There will also be programs on weeknights that parents can come to for information on how to prevent their own children to start abusing drugs. Parents need to know about this information in order to keep their family safe. Lastly, we will have an online form to find out the statistics of people who have done drugs and incorporate that into our programs. We will take the results of the survey and figure out a better solution to solve this drug use, whether it is increased drug searches or even undercover policemen who can stop those from having easy access to illegal drugs. We will then do a follow up on the survey to ensure the problem has decreased or what we can do better. This is a problem that if we don’t act quickly, we may never control this epidemic.

Another issue that I would address would be schooling. Questions and concerns every day are raised about schools underperforming and not suitable for a quality education. 47% of students in Waukesha are below basic in math skills. Only 38% of all students are proficient, and I believe that those numbers can increase drastically. That all starts with the budget and restructuring the schools. I would make sure that not only do the teachers get paid well for the good job they provide, but also I would fund the school to make them more student friendly by including more courses and more technology. Budgets will have to cut some classes, but this money will be used to further better our schools. Many students don’t try in school in part because they are not interested in the courses offered. By including courses that will provide the skills needed in that career, they will be more prepared for what they have an interest in. Whether it is business classes, engineering classes, or art classes, there are options for everyone. To improve scores in math and other lacking areas, we will have extra tutor programs and teachers who can directly help the student throughout their time in high school. Without the proper education, students would never learn the key skills such as responsibility and teamwork that is taught throughout school that would translate into the real world after they graduate. This would be one of the first things on my list to improve our city and state.

The last issue I would address would be entertainment. Families look for fun things to do on weekends, holidays, and during the summer. Who doesn’t like to have fun with loved ones and friends in the city under the street lights? Waukesha was ranked in the top 10 as the best place to raise a family in Wisconsin. Activities make communities closer and more family friendly by providing fun events for all ages. Who says we can’t rise up the charts to make Waukesha one of the best places to raise a family in the country? Every weekend we would have an event open to the public for free such as a concert by local bands, festivals, and games. On holidays we will include specific things like Santa for Christmas and an Easter Egg hunt for Easter. Not only are we going to provide events for people, but we are also going to build more parks around the county. There will be skate parks, playgrounds, dog parks, and new baseball and soccer fields. This is something that the city is lacking and will make Waukesha a more family friendly city. This will bring the community together to create a more exciting feel throughout Waukesha.

If I was mayor of Waukesha, I would do the job to benefit those I am serving. Being the face of the city brings a lot of responsibility, but no one is more ready to start improving Waukesha than me. Preventing drugs, improve schooling, and include entertainment are not the only things that I would do, but they are a good start for families and individuals to love where they live.