Genetic Engineering This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Bam! A 16-year-old takes off running at his high school track meet. He is not a quarter of the way around the track when the first of his five opponents reaches the finish line.

Now, in the 21st century, many people say the world is on the verge of a scientific revolution that brings one of the most ­controversial ideas of all time: genetic ­engineering of humans. I believe this is morally wrong, dangerous, and will lead to problems in our society.

The ethical dilemmas of human genetic engineering are what make this issue so controversial. Humans are trying to play too large a role in the universe. Many people believe that genetic engineering of humans is ­interfering with natural processes like the random selection of genes for looks and talent passed from parents to offspring. Human genetic engineering could let individuals “play God” and choose and manipulate their genes and those of their children. I believe that giving people this power goes against the basic forces of ­nature. All that is really needed is for us to accept ourselves the way we are.

The idea of a divided society in the near future is a troubling and likely consequence of human genetic engineering. Societies have always been divided by varying degrees of inequity and bias. Now, with the emergence of the genetic revolution, society entertains the prospect of a new and more serious form of segregation. One based on genotype.

The destructiveness of prejudice and discrimination is unmistakable. Imagine a world where the rich not only hold all the power, but they become superhuman. They could do things far beyond even the best abilities of normal people. Genetic engineering will bring about a rift between the upper-class citizens who are fortunate enough to afford such technology, and the lower classes who must rely only on their natural abilities. Human genetic enhancement would guarantee that families who can afford it would be able to perpetuate their social and political dominance.

Technology, or lack of enough advanced technology, is another topic of controversy for the genetic engineering of humans. It is interesting to think about the impact technology is having on the world, but is mankind ready for this kind of change?

Genetic engineering has the potential to treat and possibly cure a variety of cancers and chronic diseases, but in reality, this technology is not as promising and reliable as it may seem. Seven years after the first gene-therapy trial on humans, a complete cure for even one patient has not been produced. The technology seems to have an impressive array of benefits, but the science is still in its infancy.

It is simply part of the nature of mankind to want to be better, stronger, healthier, happier, and capable of achieving more. On the other hand, some things are better left unaltered. Change is not ­always good.

lzcelloplayer said...

This is an interesting debatable topic. Although I'm not which side I'm on, but this is also a very well written article. You did a great job on it, and this makes me think a little. Do we really want to advance our technology to change peoples genes? And is this morally right? 

Again, great job on it! :D

thought replied...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 2:13 am :

Could you imagine, in ten years or so, A person telling their best friend, or a man telling his wife, that they were geneticly altered at birth. Would you look at that person the same way if they told you.

It isn't fair, it isn't natural, it isn't right.

(by the way great article)

Pumpkinscout said...
I don't think genetic engineering is right either

dave said...
there are many challenges that we are certain to face in the future global warming, wars, cancer, sexually transmitted diseases, plauges, draughts. how can we possibly face these challenges with out bettering our selves. humans have remained unevolved for many centuries now. genetic engenering is like medical technology it is plentyfull in first world countries but minimal in second and third world regions but we still try to improve it. imagine people who have not seen the blue sky for all thei... (more »)

ControversyAtBest replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:40 am :
There is no such thing as perfect, you can only strive to make it better. But even if we could create everything exactly how we wanted, humans make mistakes. Whose to say that they wont mess up with this also?

someonewhoisme replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:21 pm :
Evolution isn't real

dave replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:18 pm :
I am a devoted chritian and I believe some aspects of evolution are real I will give you an example of what aspects are in my opinion imposible. giraffes are practically un evolutionised the are incapiable of evolution because because their body dimensions of it body and circulatiory system are flawless. in order to survive this magnificent creature needs to pump blood from the heart to the brain that is an amazing phenomina in any living creature but it is even more amazing and fascinating in s... (more »)

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm :
Dave, almost all dieases are avoidable, say cancer fro example, eating yellow green fruits and vegatables rid your body of cancer causing chemicals, plus like every other fruit and vegatable aid in fighting cancer. A carrot called Atomic Red has Lycopene which fights and prevents several types of cancer, and the Lycopene is more effective when the carrot is cooked 

Mr.Grinch said...
I agree completely. Us messing with the complex process it takes to simply BREATHE is like a beginner messing with a complex program. They try to "fix" something they think could be better, and end up making the whole thing a fail. And then there's the inevitable mistakes; what do we do with those? I'm personally rather scared something might happen as in House of the Scorpians; clones are made just to provide extra lungs and kidneys and hearts and such. That takes playing God to a huge level, a... (more »)

Babycakes56 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 7:11 pm:
Obviously genetic engineering shouldn't be used to make babies beautiful. It should only be used to make genetic diseases extinct. It should be used to allow a couple to have a kid, or even five kids, without living with the idea that they will pass on a gene that will, in no uncertain terms, eventually kill them. And no people have not been able to say, genetically engineer a person so they can save them yet. But even if the idea weren't being harshly debated, and there limits on what we can an... (more »)

someonewhoisme replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm :
The thing is people don't play by the rules. You say people shouldn't use it to make their babies beutiful, or be the fastest, or the smartest, or the most talented, ect. Eventuelly humans would screw it up big time like we always end up doing. Maybe it would start out like only curing diseases, but then people will eventually abuse it. Cars are a good invention, yes? Well, look at the people that claim there's global warming in the world. They begg for everyone to stop using cars and get bikes.... (more »)

inspiredbytheworld said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm:
I am in complete agreement with this article. Recently, I debated this topic with some of my peers, and found that most people are pro-genetic engineering. I believe that the point of human genetic engineering would be to someday be able to go up to a scientist and say, "I would like this gender child with this color hair and this color eyes and have them be this tall at this age." But another point to argue on this topic would be the fact that, with genetic engineering, it could be possible to ... (more »)

SummerRain101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 19, 2011 at 7:07 am:
I completely agree. This is something natural, and should not be disturbed. And especially the impact on society, as you said - it will be like a holocaust all over again, except this time, it will be based on reality and not someone's crazy ideals.

Hejlna replied...
May 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm :
Same here. People should be happy with the body they have.

TheInnocentOne replied...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm :
But even if the government decides its too dangerous and decide to ban it, people will continue to experiment. And of course there's that possibility of human cloning. Another bad thing where humans have decided to "play God". Both of these equally dangerous ideas are on the brink of becoming reality.

BandGeek said...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 10:42 am:
I agree with this, I did a project on gene therapy, and instead of curing people's illnesses, it gave two people cancer and never really cured anything. It often had side effects, especially if the gene ended up in the wrong tissue

imdefyinggravity said...
 I don't understand what the first line has to do with the article... it seems out of place unless there was an explanation to go with it. 

Rauriice replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm :
I think the first line is proving that it has always been that it has always been people can catch up with you in a race. but if your genetically engineered then it changes everything..

jacobmhkim said...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 2:20 am:
Looking at the article the most broadly I can, I would have to disagree. First of all, the "immorality" of genetic engineering becomes completely irrelevent when we think of how cruel natural selection can be. It's a near fascist idea to say that only the fit should survive in this world. Genetic Engineering can be used in a variety of options from which you are stating but one: that it will be abused. It's true that the rich have much power in this world but if government regulations were put i... (more »)

BayBee. said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm:
Now what if genetically modifing foods has simalar adverse effects? I believe this is a more urgent issue, and it has been proven that the problems it has been creating will soon progress into disasterous proportions.

scamp24 said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm:
I agree! I think what your kis looks like at birth should be up to God. Genetic engineering gives the rich more power and arrogance.