Genetic Engineering | Teen Ink

Genetic Engineering MAG

Bam! A 16-year-old takes off running at his high school track meet. He is not a quarter of the way around the track when the first of his five opponents reaches the finish line.

Now, in the 21st century, many people say the world is on the verge of a scientific revolution that brings one of the most ­controversial ideas of all time: genetic ­engineering of humans. I believe this is morally wrong, dangerous, and will lead to problems in our society.

The ethical dilemmas of human genetic engineering are what make this issue so controversial. Humans are trying to play too large a role in the universe. Many people believe that genetic engineering of humans is ­interfering with natural processes like the random selection of genes for looks and talent passed from parents to offspring. Human genetic engineering could let individuals “play God” and choose and manipulate their genes and those of their children. I believe that giving people this power goes against the basic forces of ­nature. All that is really needed is for us to accept ourselves the way we are.

The idea of a divided society in the near future is a troubling and likely consequence of human genetic engineering. Societies have always been divided by varying degrees of inequity and bias. Now, with the emergence of the genetic revolution, society entertains the prospect of a new and more serious form of segregation. One based on genotype.

The destructiveness of prejudice and discrimination is unmistakable. Imagine a world where the rich not only hold all the power, but they become superhuman. They could do things far beyond even the best abilities of normal people. Genetic engineering will bring about a rift between the upper-class citizens who are fortunate enough to afford such technology, and the lower classes who must rely only on their natural abilities. Human genetic enhancement would guarantee that families who can afford it would be able to perpetuate their social and political dominance.

Technology, or lack of enough advanced technology, is another topic of controversy for the genetic engineering of humans. It is interesting to think about the impact technology is having on the world, but is mankind ready for this kind of change?

Genetic engineering has the potential to treat and possibly cure a variety of cancers and chronic diseases, but in reality, this technology is not as promising and reliable as it may seem. Seven years after the first gene-therapy trial on humans, a complete cure for even one patient has not been produced. The technology seems to have an impressive array of benefits, but the science is still in its infancy.

It is simply part of the nature of mankind to want to be better, stronger, healthier, happier, and capable of achieving more. On the other hand, some things are better left unaltered. Change is not ­always good.

on Oct. 11 2010 at 9:08 pm
towerjunkie019 SILVER, Grandview, Washington

"go then, there are other worlds than theese."
Jake Chambers

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion"
-MJK

exactly.  genetic engineering is pretty much extremely fast evolution.

on Oct. 11 2010 at 9:05 pm
addisonmc521 GOLD, Oak Harbor, Ohio

Agreed. Completely. 100%. If this is our future, then what becomes of 'you are unique' I would feel disgusted with the thought growing up that my parents had me specially engineered. I'd feel as if I was processed and sold from a shelf. And giving my own children that image would make me even sicker still.

"It is simply part of the nature of mankind to want to be better, stronger, healthier, happier, and capable of achieving more." That, and the worst of all, to be better than everyone. Pride is what drives someone crazy. One can't achieve enough pride, which is a result of the wealthy doing this. For pride. Of their children. And to just flash their money around like it's nothing. This topic disguts me, but your article couldn't have explained it any better. People need to realize the risks.

on Oct. 11 2010 at 8:59 pm
addisonmc521 GOLD, Oak Harbor, Ohio
You couldn't have said it any better(:

on Oct. 11 2010 at 8:58 pm
addisonmc521 GOLD, Oak Harbor, Ohio

Yes, they did all die out because of changing environments, but what environment is there to change for us? Humans travel all around the world where a variety of environments await us. Environments do change, but one day a man can be staying overnight in Alaska, and the next, he'll be traveling through Egypt. Changing environment is not a threat to us.

I agree strongly with this article. I've most feared this topic of new technology. I agree on all levels with this piece.

on Oct. 11 2010 at 5:17 pm
Johnny212 BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio

"The great thing about minions is that they never last long enough to work up a horrid stench."

But it IS natural. All of you people who are against that don't realize that a form of genetic engineering happens in nature called NATURAL SELECTION. Animals pick and choose the strongest, healthiest mate that will most likely produce strong, healthy babies that will survive and pass on their good genes. Genetic engineering isn't much different.

on Oct. 11 2010 at 5:08 pm
Johnny212 BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio

That's not how it works. Genetic engineering is done through the passing of genes, mainly the good genes. Think of natural selection. That's what they're doing here. They can't go in and alter your genes now, not at all. That's not what genetic engineering is. Genetic engineering is taking the best and breeding it with another best, and then, bam. You have a better child. Then you repeat, until the best is even better than the former best.

Albetta BRONZE said...
on Sep. 19 2010 at 9:56 pm
Albetta BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
I completely disagree with this. Biological engineering is the future of the human race. Every other species to have died out has died out because they failed to adapt to a changing environment. Human beings are now on the verge of forcing our bodies to change. This tool can be used to make our race immortal, not individually, but as a whole.

on Sep. 19 2010 at 7:50 am
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

I think the purest beauty of childbirth and bering children is having them surprise you. Watching them develop and grow naturally without being spoon-fed their physical and mental traits before they could do anything. It's not fair. You make a great argument and you're a strong writer. Check out some of my writing too if you have time!

on Sep. 19 2010 at 3:26 am
tomtamtimmy GOLD, Sydney, Other

you don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

its scary to think what could go wrong in the genetic modification of a human. and it could be contiued down the familiy line.before we start playing god we must assess the risk and deplete them as much as possible. but though its scary to think what could go wrong it may also be a useful tool. someone with no legs could be put in a coma like state, have there genes changed and a few months later they wake up with a new pair of legs!

on Aug. 6 2010 at 10:53 am
TheMalfunctioningWallflower BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"GET THE CAT!!!"

"I did wood paneling."

"Do not FEAR the Crooked Zipper!! EMBRACE the Crooked Zipper!!!"

"What's better than infinity?"

"Wear your helmets, we'll be reaching speeds of three!"

"You could walk on your hands and catch up to him!"

Just the idea of having everyone superhuman and alike is disgusting. I mean we are different now but with genetic engeneering then everybody would be the same. It would be boring.

dancer13 GOLD said...
on Jul. 19 2010 at 5:21 pm
dancer13 GOLD, Troy, Michigan

"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them." ~Jane Austen

I was attempting to get at what Beckon is saying, but apparently I wasn't quite as clear as I would've liked. :P

aks_5 SILVER said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 9:42 pm
aks_5 SILVER, Oak Forest, Illinois

Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyways.

This is great! And I totally agree with everything in this piece.

Beckon BRONZE said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 9:03 pm
Beckon BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan

"Too many damn flying things." ~Frank Miller

I'm going to have to disagree with you that Maximum is anti-GE. That series shows the effect of unregulated engineering. With proper oversights (most importantly from an independent body and not the government) humans could be made more durable and healthier. As a previous poster said, the problem would be if we lost diversity in the gene pool--however that could be stopped by a ban on cosmetic engineering beyond a certain extent or technology that allows for the intelligent variation of alleles.

I think you can agree that in Maximum Ride the flock was superior and in all likelihood would have been quite happy had they not been attacked by the Institute. In a world of Maximums things could be much better. 

Beckon BRONZE said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 8:56 pm
Beckon BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan

Actually, you can save a baby's life before it's born. By screening parents for certain genetic pairings (i.e. cystic fibrosis) GE could someday be used to switch off those carrier genes in the parent and nullify any chance of the offspring having that condition.

on Jul. 15 2010 at 4:11 pm
AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona

"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

I agree with some of those points, but I don't know that it would be all bad.  For example; if humans could isolate genes responsible for fatal genetic conditions, perhaps they coud eliminate them.  Also, they could perpetuate genes from deceased relatives, which could be something as simple as a baby born with the exact same eyes as a deceased relative.  That wouldn't hurt anyone, but it'd make people happy.

on Jul. 15 2010 at 1:39 pm
everthought BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

"forever is the new now"
-anonymous

But then again, could reproductive technologies such as invetro fertilization count as a section of genetic engineering...?

on Jul. 15 2010 at 1:37 pm
everthought BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

"forever is the new now"
-anonymous

at least my generation won't be around until this whole genetic engineering gets extremely popular. as much as we try to put it down, it seems like genetic engineering will be a definite part of the future.

on Jul. 8 2010 at 11:08 pm
K9_Typical_Islander SILVER, Koror, Other

Hours of boredom followed by moments of excitement (and adrenaline)- that's fishing

Okay, good case but there has been thousands, even millions, of babies being born in the past, considerably before BC and onwards, and still today that have some trace of a disorder or lethal disease BUT the parents of those children did not result to GE for a resolution or closure. They dealt with it, loving their child/ren despite their "defects". Anyways, no one is perfect, so why are we starting now? We could use GE technology to resolve other, high-priority issues, such as HIV/AIDS, water impurities and malnutrition in developing countries, drugwars, endandered animal rescues, food and oil tragedies, etc.

I just prefer to redirect the applications and benefits of the technology to existing global issues BUT I do understand the logic behind your perspective.

dancer13 GOLD said...
on Jul. 5 2010 at 7:22 pm
dancer13 GOLD, Troy, Michigan

What if a baby were to be born with some deadly disease, or a missing limb or something? You could use GE to correct the defect, though of course there would have to be a valid reason first. 

on Jun. 23 2010 at 7:42 pm
Noir_Soire SILVER, Branson, Missouri

What I am was born in me. It’s a part of who I am, who my family is, who we all are as a tribe — it’s the reason why we’re still here.
Jacob Black, "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer

There was a reason why Hitler wanted a "pure race", all because of genetic engineering!