Don't Be Afraid of Flying! | Teen Ink

Don't Be Afraid of Flying!

November 13, 2013
By AlphabetJ BRONZE, Bogotá, Other
AlphabetJ BRONZE, Bogotá, Other
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Many people in the world are afraid of flying airplanes. The main reasons are that they don’t trust the technology, they’re afraid if it’s going to crash and they are afraid of heights. However, I don’t think riding airplanes is dangerous. In fact, it’s safer than driving.

Riding airplanes is safer than driving because all airplanes communicate with the air traffic control tower during the whole flight. Pilots and the towers ensure if the plane is distanced enough from other planes, which basically means that it’s almost impossible to crash into another plane while you are in air. But cars don’t have a traffic control tower, which is why there are car accidents every single day. Furthermore, I’ve been on airplanes since when I was 5 years old and until now, I’ve never encountered danger or emergency moments during flights. So you see, I believe that planes are much more safer than cars.

To add, there are much more advantages traveling by planes rather than cars. Airplanes are safer, comfortable and faster than cars. For example, if you want to go to a different location, cars may take more than 10 hours depending on traffic, but on the other hand, airplanes may only take 1 hour and there’s no traffic in air. I’m not always saying that you should take aircrafts for traveling, but many people in the world prefer traveling by planes to other countries because of these reasons.

Furthermore, all passenger plane pilots are very skilled. Pilots start off as small cargo or non passenger pilots. Then they keep moving up, achieving new licenses and filling up the flight hours, which means that in order to drive a passenger plane, they are required to be more than 2 year veteran pilots. This is different from driving, because anyone who is over 20 or 21 can drive if they have a driving license. I’m not trying to be too biased or anything, but I think drivers license are easier to get than pilot’s licenses.

Last but not least, in 2012, there’s only been 2 plane crash accidents. As far as I know, there’s only been 1 crash during 2013. These crashes killed over 1000 people in total. However there were approximately 32,000 car crashes in 2011 and 26,000 crashes in 2012! Which altogether killed over 30,000 people. This is approximately 30 times more than the death of plane crashes! These car accidents are mostly caused by drink and driving. But on the other hand, it’s impossible to drink and drive airplanes, because the airport always checks the pilot’s condition before they enter and takeoff. So from the results we see, planes have much less death rate than driving, there’s no need to fear.

Overall, from the evidences and the reasons that I stated, there are much more advantages of riding airplanes than cars. People shouldn’t consider airplane rides dangerous nor be scared of flying, hence they have nothing to fear about.