The Engagement | Teen Ink

The Engagement

May 24, 2013
By AlFonzy1013 SILVER, Mundelein, Illinois
AlFonzy1013 SILVER, Mundelein, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Engagement

(In this time period of the world in the near future, there are very few parts of human civilization left and the reason why is because of a global catastrify that took out all electric devices. The people who caused this; the Zealots. They are a terrorist group consisting of people from what remains of Russia and from a small part of China . They’ve brought the world down from its utopia to its now dystopia . They killed many innocent civilians and those who opposed them . They took control of the Earth. After many years they have strangely went into hiding. No one knows why but they believe they will be back to take what they left behind; they will come back to continue ruling Earth. What remains of the other civilizations on Earth is now attempting to raise themselves back to owning their planet , but they are not alone. A military force made immediately after the Zealots vanished consisting of the Northern and Western part of the United States. A force still standing named the ARF, Anti-Zealot Response Force. They fight to protect what is left on Earth in hope that the Zealots will not return and they can begin to have their small civilizations rise again.)
(Show huge open canyon but on the end of the valley there is a military base. An ARF Base called NEST.)
Random Soldier 1 : So you glad we have we have free roaming privileges?
Random Soldier 2: Yeah but there’s nothing to do.
Random Soldier 3: You think you can check on the crate?
Random Soldier 4: Yeah, wait did you load all of these?
Random Soldier 3: Yep, Sgt. said that he didn’t want them sitting around. He wants them ready for action .
Random Soldier 4: Just like us.
(Show falcon/ helicopter land.)
Soldier 1: This is the last load I believe. Do you guys need anything else?
Soldier 2: No, but umm… do you think you can… you know.
Soldier 1: Get you some better food?
Soldier 2: Yes, the food right now is just-
Sgt. Ratinsky: Terrific!
(Show Sgt. Ratinsky walk down to falcon pilot.)
Sgt. Ratinsky: That’s all we will need of you for now son, now get going.
Soldier 1: Yes sir.
Soldier 2: I was just leaving.
(Show Sgt. Ratinsky walk down to line of soldiers.)
Sgt. Ratinsky: Are you ready to defend NEST at all costs!?
Random Soldier 1,2,3,4: Sir, yes sir!
Sgt. Ratinsky: I know you boys have worked hard to finish this base but are we going to sit on our asses and let someone take it?
Random Soldier 1,2,3,4: Sir, no sir!
Sgt. Ratinsky: Good because if even one of you out of you sorry bunch fail me, I won’t hesitate to shoot you myself. Dismissed.
Random Soldier 1,3: Sir.
Random Soldier 2,4: Thank you sir.
Sgt. Ratinsky: Perhaps I should have asked for some tank fuel… we’re still empty . (He says to himself)
(Show Messenger walk up to the control room.)
Messenger: Sir, we have completed the arrangements that you requested.
General Fram: Good work, all within 2 weeks’ time. Inform the men that we have finished the NEST . Tell the men to relax. They've earned it. All we have to do now is hope that we won’t have to use it.
Messenger: Right away.
General Fram: I hope the Zealots have really gone back down.
(Show 2 soldiers in the middle of the canyon.)
Soldier 3: Hey. Come on, we have to head over to the beach.
Soldier 4: Yeah just hold on, I couldn’t sleep last night.
Soldier 3: Alright but be we have to make this quick, we are the first group to go today and should have reported back 15 minutes ago.
Soldier 4: Relax it’s not like today is going to be any different than yesterday.
(Show rockets then have them fire and kill the 2 soldiers.)
(Show large group of Zealot forces come into canyon and begin to fire at base.)
Messenger: Sir, we have enemy forces at the front entrance.
General Fram: How many?
Messenger: I don’t know maybe a couple dozen from what I saw. I’ve sent in the remaining men inside. If we do get over run, there will be men to still protect and help us escape.
General Fram: Have Sargent Ratinsky set up men on the railings if they aren’t already and have men ready on the ground if the manage to break through. No matter whom they are, Ratinsky won’t let us down.
Messenger: Yes sir.
(Show battle between ARF Railing and Zealot Ground .)
(Zealot Ground win and ARF Inside prepare to battle.)
Sgt. Ratinsky: Prepare yourselves.
Messenger: Sgt. Ratinsky! They are trying to hacking our systems and open the gate.
Sgt. Ratinsky: Do not let them get any farther than one step!
Messenger: I’m going to head up and help the General.
Sgt. Ratinsky: As you wish.
Zealot 1: The door is impossible to open.
Zealot 1: Do you have anything stronger than that?
Zealot 2: You’re joking!
Zealot 2: Come close my brothers.
Zealot 2: Let us see how strong there door really is.
Sgt. Ratinsky: Get ready!
Sgt. Ratinsky: Fire!
(Show Zealot Ground rush into Nest and begin to Fight ARF Inside.)
Sgt. Ratinsky: Don’t let up!
Random Soldier 1: There’s too many!
Sgt. Ratinsky: This is not our last stand!
(Show Sgt. Ratinsky die.)
(Show one ARF soldier leave in a warthog.)
(Show 2 warthogs passing by [Sanchez and Jones in front and Carter and Dane in back] and see the ARF warthog.)
Sgt. Carter: Hey, remind me why we are out here again.
Sgt. Dane: Shut your mouth Carter. We are on are way back so you shouldn’t be complaining.
Sgt. Carter: Oh you know how I feel about this kind of stuff Dane.
Lt. Sanchez: Stop! Hey stop for a sec.
Pvt. Jones: Was I driving too fast sir?
Lt. Sanchez: No, look.
Sgt. Dane: He has to be going at least 60 in that thing.
(The car begins to catch on fire and then stops.)
Soldier 3: Help me, please.
Sgt. Dane: Where did you just come from ? Hey Jones, help this guy!
Pvt. Jones: Here, sit still.
Soldier 3: I just came from NEST.
Lt. Sanchez: I thought they were just almost done making that place? Has it been over run.
Soldier 3: It was starting to. I didn’t want to stick around for it to happen. Zealots took over the place in a matter of minutes.
Lt. Sanchez: Zealots.
Sgt. Carter: I thought they were in hiding?
Soldier 3: Well so did I, so did my Sgt., so did everyone else at Nest . But we need to get out of here. They’re probably gearing up and heading this way.
Lt. Sanchez: No, we are heading back over there.
Soldier 3: Didn’t you see what they did to my hog. Imagine what they will do if they see more coming rather than leaving.
Lt. Sanchez: We are not going to just leave those men in the dust. There isn’t time to leave them there. They built NEST to protect the HQ from invaders setting up in the Cayon, and if that falls; what else can and will?
Sgt. Dane: Sanchez is right. Jones get ready because you are about to see your first day of action.
Pvt. Jones: Okay. But I just hope there are more injured than dead.
Sgt. Carter: Finally something to do.
Sgt. Dane: Shut up.
(Show NEST getting over run and General Fram is starting to fall.)
(Show Lt. Sanchez, Sgt. Carter, Sgt. Dane, Pvt. Jones come to the Communications Office and save them.)
General Fram: Who are you four?
Lt. Sanchez: Lt. Sanchez, Recon division. This is Sgt. Carter, Sgt. Dane, and Pvt. Jones. We were just out on patrol when we encountered one of your soldiers.
General Fram: Thank you for coming. I’m General Fram; I’m in charge of NEST. I lost my Sgt. and my messenger. He didn’t even know how to shoot a gun. We got hit by Zealot forces.
Lt. Sanchez: Well, do you think there will be another attack?
General Fram: Most likely. This seemed like only the scouts.
Sgt. Carter: Well we are going to need more men. If their scouts can manage to pull of this much damage, imagine what else they can do.
Sgt. Dane: We will need to send out a distress signal.
General Fram: Well our tower got slightly damaged during all of that. We will need time to fix it.
Lt. Sanchez: Private Jones, go escort Sargent Dane to a high vantage point and then return here and give aid to who you can and then send them out to the front gate.
Pvt. Jones: Yes sir.
Lt. Sanchez: Sgt. Carter and I will keep watch at the gate try and stop what we can to buy you some more time.
General Fram: Thank you boys for coming here. Now go I will see what I can do from here. There are only a few men left and they are inside. There are only enough soldiers left for if we wanted to escape, but I’m not going to let this base go so quickly. It’s either die for something, like you fellow ARF and the people that count on us, or die for nothing. Do you understand me son?
Lt. Sanchez: Yes sir.
(Show Zealots at coming into the beach.)
(Show Lt. Sanchez on the ground with a few ARF soldiers.)
(Show Sgt. Carter up on the railings with a few more ARF soldiers.)
Sgt. Carter: Wait for the signal to engage.
(Show Pvt. Jones going inside the base with 2 ARF soldiers.)
Pvt. Jones: Where are the rest of the injured?
Soldier 4: We moved our slightly injured to the Medical Hut. We already moved the dead and majorly wounded inside.
Pvt. Jones: Show me where.
Soldier 4: We have very few medical staff left. We have 2 inside and 1 out here helping in the Medical Hut.
Pvt. Jones: I’ll see what I can do but I can’t make miracles happen.
(Show Sgt. Dane up on the cliff side.)
(They begin to hold off another wave of Zealots.)
Lt. Sanchez: Engage!
Sgt. Carter: Engage!
Sgt. Dane: Engaging.
(Show a Zealot Warthog come into the battlefield.)
Lt. Sanchez: Oh crap, anyone a good driver?
Sgt. Dane: I am but why?
Lt. Sanchez: Because we are going out for a drive.
Sgt. Dane: I’ll head back into the base and see if there is still a hog available.
Lt. Sanchez: Carter! Make sure they don’t push themselves to the gate again.
(Show them grab an ARF Warthog from the inside of the base and charge out the gate and engage the Zealot Warthog.)
(Show them destroy the Zealot hog but have 2 more come into the battle field.)
Lt. Sanchez: Oh crap! Give me an angle on the one on the left!
(Show them destroy one of the two but the other have the ARF Warthog catch fire.)
Sgt. Dane: Good shot sir.
Lt. Sanchez: Yeah but bring us back in, this thing may need repairs.
(Show them drive back into NEST the ARF warthog begin to have repairs. The Zealot Warthog goes back to the beach.)
(Show falcon coming in with food.)
Soldier 1: Man they are going to be so happy I came back with this food.
(Show Zealot Rocket Squad of two come onto battle field.)
Soldier 1: Wait… holy crap!
(Falcon dodges rocket from Zealot battle ground.)
Soldier 1: Attention NEST base. Is there any one left down there?
General Fram: Yes this is General Fram. I read you loud and clear.
Soldier 1: It looks like you need some help. I’ll land and see what help I can give to you.
General Fram: You are clear to land where you see fit. Just don’t do it outside the wall.
Soldier 1: This is Green 2. Coming in hot.
General Fram: Lt. Sanchez, we have a bird on the inside of the base.
Lt. Sanchez: I’m on my way. Sgt. Dane, I need you inside. Sgt. Carter, keep up the fire and we will be back out shortly.
Sgt. Carter: Yes sir.
(Show Lt. Sanchez and Sgt. Dane inside with the falcon.)
Lt. Sanchez: What’s your name soldier?
Soldier 1: I’m Pvt. Nick Howell. I came back with some supplies and it looks like you could really use some help here.
Sgt. Dane: What’s your cargo?
Soldier 1: Well it’s nothing really of use…
Sgt. Dane: It’s just a bunch of M.R.E.’s. Oh hey there all steak.
Lt. Sanchez: Alright, there’s not enough time to get all this off and we would need more people. Let’s get in a take out what we can.
Sgt. Dane: Sir, with all due respect; we should head back to HQ and bring in reinforcements. Even if this place gets over run we can still take this place back.
Lt. Sanchez: And leave Jones and Carter here?... General Fram?... All the injured?... All the rest that are still fighting for this place?... You want to just leave them? Where is the honor in that Tom? We either die for something or leave and come back as cowards.
Sgt. Dane: I… I think we should still just come back with more men than continue-
(Show Zealot falcon take the air and begin to start firing at the base.)
Sgt. Carter: Sir we have rockets on sight, I am going to bring the men down to fill ammo packs and take any injured down to Jones. We can’t risk ourselves being in view until those are down.
Lt. Sanchez: Come on we have to go! Sgt. Carter, be quick it will only be just us.
Lt. Sanchez: Howell, get us up and give us both an angle.
Soldier 1: Yes sir.
(Show them fly into the battlefield and begin to fight the Zealot forces.)
Lt. Sanchez: Howell, give me an angle on those soldiers.
Soldier 1: You got it.
Sgt. Dane: Sir, I can’t shoot the enemy falcon.
Lt. Sanchez: Howell, do line drives around the falcons so we can put continuous fire on that bird.
Soldier 1: I’ll try and keep her steady.
Sgt. Dane: Show me your pilots’ license!
(Show Zealot Falcon get shot down.)
Soldier 1: Hey no one liners as long as you are in here, got it?
Lt. Sanchez: Oh Hell!
Soldier 1: Hang on!
(Show Zealot rockets squad fire at ARF falcon. But they both miss.)
Lt. Sanchez: Bring us in low.
Sgt. Dane: Sir don’t you dare jump out!
Lt. Sanchez: Do it!
Soldier 1: Multiple rockets inbound!
Sgt. Dane: Keep it steady!
Lt. Sanchez: Die!
(Show Lt. Sanchez kill all the men on the ground with rockets.)
Sgt. Carter: Come on let’s go! Grab what you can!
Lt. Sanchez: Alright, we are clear down here.
Sgt. Carter: Sir we are coming back up.
Lt. Sanchez: Howell, think you can get me.
Soldier 1: Making a turn, will be back in a second.
Lt. Sanchez: Alright thanks, I think that was all they… had.
(Lt. Sanchez sees more Zealot ground forces come in and start shooting at Lt. Sanchez.)
Lt. Sanchez: Do not land! I repeat, do not land.
Lt. Sanchez: I’m pinned by the trees on the right side. I’m not going to last much longer down here.
Sgt. Carter: Give the Lt. covering fire! Hit anything that isn’t him!
Lt. Sanchez: I’m on my last mag!
Sgt. Carter: We will cover you make a run for it!
Sgt. Dane: Howell, bring us in low and then take us over the gate. He stands no chance with all that heat on him.
Soldier 1: Alright but they may have more rockets on the ground.
Sgt. Dane: Just do it.
Sgt. Carter: We will cover you.
(Sgt. Carter and the remaining ARF soldiers shoot at the Zealot ground forces.)
Sgt. Dane: JUMP!
(Lt. Sanchez gets into the turret.)
Soldier 1: I’ve got a rocket on me. Bail out when I say…
Sgt. Dane: No we can make it. PUNCH IT!
Soldier 1: Now!
Lt. Sanchez: Now Dane!
Sgt. Dane: Howell!
(Rocket blows up ARF falcon and Howell dies.)
Sgt. Dane: Howell? Pvt. Howell? Lt?
Lt. Sanchez: I’m here.
Sgt. Dane: They killed Howell.
Lt. Sanchez: He knew what he was doing. He risked himself to save me . He did what he wanted to by coming to get me.
(Show Zealots come in with a Tank and shoot the ARF tank.)
Sgt. Carter: Umm guys, they’re bringing in a tank.
Lt. Sanchez: Sgt. Dane, get up… head to the railings and assist Sgt. Carter.
Sgt. Dane: Alright.
(Show Lt. Sanchez head back to the Communications Office.)
Lt. Sanchez: General Fram, We are going to get over run again. Have you been able to reach HQ?
General Fram: I’m trying, I almost got a signal. How is it going out there?
(Zealot Tank Fires at NEST wall.)
Lt. Sanchez: As bad as it can get. How long does it take to even get a-
General Fram: There! Help me send this out.
General Fram: This is General Fram of NEST Outpost. We are under attack from Zealot forces, need reinforcements. I say again, this is General Fram of Nest Outpost. We are under attack from Zealot forces, need reinforcements.
(ARF HQ)
Soldier 5: Good one Erica… oh. (Just stopped laughing.)
Soldier 6: Hey Alenia, come over here. (Serious)
Soldier 6: Listen to this.
Soldier 5: NEST Outpost? Hey everyone get back to work! Wasn’t that place still in construction? (Serious)
Soldier 6: Yeah but they were nearly done?
Soldier 5: Are sure this isn’t just a training exercise?
General Fram: I say again, we need reinforcements, anything available-
(Large explosion/static) will you just send men over here now! This a direct order! These Zealots forces are over running us!
Soldier 5: Wait, Zealot forces, I thought they were still in hiding ?
Soldier 6: Here I’ll send a drone over to check. This could be an elaborate trap.
Soldier 5: Or just a training exercise.
(Show ARF Falcon take off and head to NEST.)
(Show Gunner seeing the battle.)
Soldier 5: My god…
Soldier 6: W-what should we do?
General Holt: Scramble the birds.
Soldier 5: Right away General.
(Show ARF soldiers getting into Falcons and heading over to the battle field [3 full to shoot, one with General Holt].)
Soldier 5: Rodger, we read you, NEST. We are sending reinforcements to your location ASAP. Now copy, over.
General Fram: You better hurry; we are running on empty over here.
(Have Zealot Tank move forward and begin to take NEST.)
General Fram: What the hell!
Lt. Sanchez: Oh right the Tank.
(Show ARF Falcons fighting off the Zealot forces at the beach.)
Sgt. Carter: Lt! We are getting over run!
Sgt. Dane: There are too many and that tank is breaking through!
Lt. Sanchez: What happened to Jones?
(Show Pvt. Jones come out with more men. But have them mostly get killed.)
Pvt. Jones: Charge!
Pvt. Jones: Keep firing!
Pvt. Jones: Die!
Pvt. Jones: AHHH!!!
Sgt. Carter: Hot… damn….
Pvt. Jones: Oh hell! I need some help down here!
Lt. Sanchez: Sgt. Carter! Sgt. Dane! Get back down to the lower level and get Jones out of there!
Lt. Sanchez: General Fram, what are you doing?
(Show him now with a shotgun.)
General Fram: If I’m gonna lose this place, I’m not gonna do it behind a computer.
Lt. Sanchez: General, No!
General Fram: Come here you sonsa-!
General Fram: This is for all the men you killed today!
General Fram: Damn.
General Fram: Uggh! (He has been killed.)
Lt. Sanchez: No! Carter, Dane, Jones! We are getting over run get out of here now!
Sgt. Dane: We won’t leave you.
Pvt. Jones: Keep firing!
Sgt. Carter: Last mag!
(Begin to show them falling.)
(Show falcons come in and save them. Show only one falcon blow up. Show Zealot tank blow up.)
(Show Zealots retreat.)
(Show falcons land and talk to the remaining men left standing.)
General Holt: You men alright?
Lt. Sanchez: I think we will be fine. I’m Lt. Sanchez, recon division. My squad is around here somewhere.
General Holt: I’m General Holt, where is General Fram?
Lt. Sanchez: He didn’t make it.
General Holt: Hmm… that’s a shame.
Sgt. Carter: Lt. What do we do now? Do you think there will be more?
General Holt: We examined the area that they were in, they’re long gone.
Lt. Sanchez: Hopefully.
Sgt. Dane: Well the question still remains. What now?
General Holt: You four will report back to HQ and rest up, we will take it from here. You men did well today. You should all expect to move up from recon. Now get outta here, I guess we will have to rebuild NEST. I’m just glad you were here, taking this kind of risk . I appreciate it. You are all great soldiers. I commend you for your service.
Lt. Sanchez: Thank you and good luck with rebuilding her, but hey little bit of advice. Have more men willing to give their lives for this place . Like Fram. I feel that this place will have a great symbol of hope for the years to come that we can fight back.
General Holt: Alright. I will.
Lt. Sanchez: Let’s move fellas.
Lt. Sanchez: So Private, how did you feel about battle?
Pvt. Jones: Sir, do you think I can have something for close quarters?
Lt. Sanchez: I’ll look into it.
(Show them fly away.)
(After the large engagement, the ARF began to tear down the remaining Zealot forces. The Zealots stand very little in force and are now in hiding. But the ARF has not disbanded, for they believe that the Zealots may return, and they may not fail. But for now the ARF is around to help keep peace in the world and keep the remaining small civilizations alive so they may grow .)


The author's comments:
I wanted to write something with the thought of what I had recently learned in school.