Should Police Officers be able to carry guns? | Teen Ink

Should Police Officers be able to carry guns?

March 10, 2012
By Anonymous

Did you know that on average, 155 police officers are killed each year in the line of duty? Last year alone 166 police officers were killed in action in the United States. Imagine how high that number would be if it were illegal for police officers to carry guns. Millions of people in the United States own a gun or a number of guns, if police officers came across criminals who have guns, and our police didn’t have guns like the police in England and other countries around the world, more officers would most likely die as a result.
I believe it is right that police officers should be allowed to carry a firearm, or else, our entire country would be overrun by crime and murder. Today, more criminals are armed and dangerous. It is the police officer's job to keep them off the streets, and to protect and serve citizens from harm.
If a cop is trying to arrest a serial killer, and the serial killer has a gun, all he has to do pull a gun on the officer and the police officer can’t do anything about it because he doesn’t have a gun to defend himself with. Police officers need guns to help them arrest criminals and give them a distinct advantage.
If police officers don’t have guns, then many officers would die as a result of not being able to do anything to help themselves from other people shooting at them. More people would die each year from uncontrollable violence and our country would be consumed by crime and violence and fall victim to the gangs and mafia who would control the gun market.
Some people might say that police officers have big egos and only have guns to show that they have power. Others might say that if they didn’t have guns then crime rates would decline because criminals would have no need for them anymore. I believe that just the opposite of that would happen and the crime rate would spike to the highest rate since before laws were made.
I believe that in order for us to have a safer country, our police officers need to be armed to be able to ensure the public’s safety. Our police officers need a way to defend themselves and a stick and pepper spray just won’t do it. Officers need guns to be able to defend the public from crime.