Do Guns Cause Violence? | Teen Ink

Do Guns Cause Violence? MAG

Do you think guns are the cause of violence? Or do you think the people behind the guns cause the violence? In my opinion, the people behind the guns that cause crimes are the ones who shouldn't be allowed on the streets.

I feel that evil is in the beholder. Guns only magnify the crime that is out there. People aren't going to stop robbing and stealing if guns were no longer used. People are still going to steal, but with baseball bats and sticks.

There are many gun exchange programs now that have people exchanging guns for toys, food or money. I think these programs are good, but it's going to take a while before it becomes really effective. People think that will help eradicate crime, but statistics show that it's not. It is reported that the guns (that have been turned in) haven't been used in any crimes. So those guns are still out there.

The one good thing that comes from this program is that people feel good about themselves once they give up their guns. People feel that they did something good for their community by giving up their guns. They feel that they are helping to make the world a better place, and, they are, in return, getting rewarded for it.

But, crime is kind of like poverty. It's never going to be wiped out completely. Crime is something that is going to be with us forever. It's not going anywhere. It might get better, but that's all.

My main point is that throwing guns away isn't going to stop crime and/or violence. People are going to commit crimes whether they have guns or not. Guns only magnify crimes. The gun doesn't pull the trigger. The person behind the gun does. So I don't think guns should be outlawed, or held responsible.

What do you think? ?

on Aug. 31 2011 at 10:47 am
vintigelover69, Farmers Branch, Texas

This is a paper that a women wrote that talks about guns and there role in society  if there good or bad

In my opinion they are not bad “only the people that are behind them” – quote

I am a gun user (hunting only) and there not bad. They can’t shoot some body they don’t have brains only people do, it’s what people so I agree with this.

Timmy 545 said...
on Apr. 15 2011 at 6:54 am
Guns don't cause crime and gun control has alway increased crime. Most people with guns never use then on another or even move to do so. I keep a Saiga rifle in 7.62 with has all the features of an "assault weapon". I carry it almost everywhere I am allowed to, and i never experience any crime, nor have i needed to shoot anyone (thankfully.) Your opinion is valid and I would love to argue with you.

hasty.adoree said...
this article is really interesting and can help me out with my report on this topic but what i dont get is the writers talking about how people use the guns to trigger violence in the beginning where it clearly looks like shes against guns causing violence then at the end of the reprt she holds the guns responsible . this is confusing , are you against the issue or encouraging it ?