Vegetarianism in Todays World | Teen Ink

Vegetarianism in Todays World

By summerlover10 BRONZE, Warrenton, Virginia
summerlover10 BRONZE, Warrenton, Virginia

Vegetarianism. Whether this word is said, written, or simply implied, people everywhere have strong views about this worldwide issue that is shaping the way the modern world looks at the food they eat.
Choosing not to eat meat isn’t just a choice…it’s a lifestyle. People all over the world are making the choice to eat green for various reasons. Health, trend, moral, economic, religious….all good enough reasons to do it. So why all the opposition?

Well, for one thing, many people who oppose vegetarianism agree that we are built and function as carnivours, and therefore have been hunting for millions of years, making meat a necessity in a regular diet. While we can substitute meat, they believe vegetarians live with a high protein deficiency rate, and therefore, lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

Further arguments against vegetarianism may include the fact that economically, it is much more expensive to buy soy products and meat substitutes for cooking, even if you do remove meat from your grocery list.

There is no deficiency when you choose to be a vegetarian. There isn’t one nutrient necessary for decent human health that cannot be attained from plants. Actually, by choosing to live on a 100% organic and meat-free diet, you’re doing your body a favor. There are over 20,000 different types of drugs, including steroids, growth hormones, and antibiotics, that are given to livestock animals. When you’re ordering your double whopper or chicken burrito at Taco Bell, you’re consuming these drugs as well!

Did you know that there is more than enough food on this planet to feed the entire human population, but an estimated 800 million people are living in starvation? Every 3 seconds someone dies of hunger. Why?, you may be asking.
Part of the reason is the meat industry that is feeding us everyday. It takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat.

And if you’re one to stop and think twice about the environment we live in, here’s another fun fact for you: every day tropical forests in Brazil and nearby regions are being destroyed in the process of creating more land to raise livestock. And that’s not to mention the amount of fossil fuels used every year (one third of all fossil fuels in the US alone) in raising animals for food.

So maybe the environment isn’t your thing. Maybe you’re not as health-conscience as you’d like to be. If you’re anything like me, you might be worried about the moral side of this issue.

I will always love animals as I love myself. Why would I want to cause harm to a living, breathing, cute little pig? By purchasing a nice, juicy chicken sandwich, I’m going against everything I believe in and supporting an industry that doesn’t care how much drugs they have to inject in the animal to get it the perfect size, shape, and color. I would be supporting an industry that cuts down hundreds of rainforests each year to get my money in their pocket. The jump from a chicken sandwich to a veggie burger isn’t so big, but somehow, it makes all the difference in the world. Living this way is a lifestyle choice. Remember: you don’t have to be vegetarian to make good choices. Buy from local farms, where you can see how they treat their animals and what they feed them. More than likely, they will be happy to answer any questions you have about how they function. Don’t forget….you have the right to know! Whatever diet you choose for yourself, make it healthy, fit for you, and most importantly, know your facts! : )

My best friend and sister Nicole inspired me to write this piece. She's been a vegetarian for three years now, something many people can't stick to.
I hope people @ least get inspired to eat healthier, doesn't have to mean just vegetarian.

beachbum said...
on Jul. 2 2010 at 11:01 am
I like the article, most people don't realize what their "eating" when they chew into a peice of meat. However, I believe meat is an essential part of our diet. Today's world doesn't make it as nutrious and healthy as it should be, but that's another issue that needs to be addressed. I think a true diet should be a nice balance of leaf and meat. A nice salad with a home grown steak. We as a nation are changing into a more healthy and enviromental place, but it's going to take a while before we do.

veggiegirl91 said...
on Jul. 2 2010 at 10:37 am
This article is written brilliantly. I agree with everything the author wrote and appreciate the facts that she threw in there. Great Job!

on Jun. 30 2010 at 2:53 pm
Great article. Well writte ad makes a case for vegeterianism thout being agressive.