Growing Up Too Fast | Teen Ink

Growing Up Too Fast MAG

Do you remember how old you were the first Christmas morning you woke up and wantedto go back to sleep? If you were like me, you knew what was coming. There was nomystery about whether there would be presents under the tree, or if Santa hadwritten a note and eaten the cookies. Knowing what to expect, it was just anotherday of vacation.

Sleep seems hard to come by as you get older. Withhomework, more responsibility and even a job, if there's no alarm buzzing, nobus, no teachers, just the satisfaction of lying still for a moment, you give inno matter what. My parents used to do this on Christmas morning, and I neverunderstood why. Now I do. This is one of those defining moments when you know youare losing your childhood innocence.

It seems children want to grow out oftheir childhood; they dream of being adults. When you go to a toy store, what doyou see? Usually mini versions of items used by adults. There's play money andcash registers, toy trucks and cars; everything you could think of to make achild feel mature. It's almost as if they're rushing their lives along. My cousinis ten years old and his mind is set on one thing - wanting everything now. Kidsare impatient when it comes to the future. To them, it seems like so much fun,and so far away.

Teens want time to move faster so they can get theirlicense and be able to vote. When you were four, did you rush your parents outthe door to the movies so you could snag the good seats? No, most likely you werepreoccupied with trying to tie your shoelaces. Little kids aren't caught up inthe hustle and bustle of our instant-gratification society.

I think thelast few years of childhood are those spent at high school. Your parents stilltake you everywhere, curfews are set, and sometimes your mom sneaks a love noteinto your lunch. Once you hit college, you know that everything will effect therest of your life. For some this responsibility is exciting, for others it'sscary, but hold onto your memories that remind you not to make life toocomplicated or stressful. And don't grow up too fast.

PCSteenhelp said...
You are correct and it is difficult because as a teen, there are so many changes, physically, emotionally and among the adults around you demanding more responsibility. However you do need your own time. Time to relax and do the things you enjoy. One way to help yourself manage this is to live more in the moment than in the past for worrying of the future. Planning the future is important but equally is as important is to find things that you do enjoy. From skills and activities. These can include music, animals, etc. and finding of new activities that might interest you and try those. Such as other sports, science, dance, etc. It also helps to make a small daily schedule so you can put time for you. Remember although parents and teachers require demands, it is also you that is important and need to know how to feel, enjoy time and feel energized and not stressed. I hope this is helpful. I am a neuroepidemiologist and behavior health educator. I remember how it was being a teen and I have parenting and teen programs to help parents and teens. Adolescence should be an enjoyable time for you. While chores in the home and schoolwork, remember to find things you enjoy. Those things can turn into skills and passions that one day can land you a career in those. So when you work, it is like not working at all. That is the good thing about adolescence is that you have that to explore. Best of luck. I am sure you will do well ;)

derpfish said...
on Apr. 8 2015 at 12:07 am
yes I agree..I'm still a teen myself and I just wish that we could all slow down... everything's going too fast...more responsibilities trusted upon us...more things to worry about... if only taking a step back without potentially jeopardizing your future is as easy as it sounds...

FIRST! said...
on Sep. 1 2014 at 3:04 am
FIRST COMMENT!!!!