In another way | Teen Ink

In another way

In Another Way

Isn’t everyone supposed to be entitled to do whatever they want to do? Are we, or are we not America, the land of opportunity? So what, someone does something a little bit better than you. They get the job done! Possibly, they even do it better than you. This is the land of opportunity, this is the land where people can follow their dreams, and this is the land where you can start over. It inspires me when people strive to follow their dreams even though they have some sort of disability, but it annoys me to no end when disrespectful individuals put them down. They are able to do the same things we can just in a different way. In my opinion, these disabled athletes are just as good as us “normal” people.

After reading many articles in language arts of these inspiring people, one that truly stuck in my mind was an article by Rick Reilly, ”Half the Size, Twice the Man.” It is the story of a teenager named, Bobby Martin. He doesn’t have legs, but plays football, will be wrestling for varsity and wants to go out for track to do shot put. He is an inspiring young man that always chases his dream and wants to do more. Unfortunately, I have come in contact with peers who are so lazy; they don’t have the drive to do anything. They pass school by the skin of their teeth.

Another incredible story was one that I discovered through an email. This man, Nick Vujicic, was born without limbs. He was given no medical reason for his condition, but travels around the world fishing, golfing, swimming, and telling his amazing story. At one point, he wanted to give up. But he always gets back up and keeps trying. “If I fail, I try again, and again, and again” Nick was actually afraid that he would not make it through school, heck he thought a university would be impossible! But he did it, earned his degree and everything! He is one of the most amazing individuals I have ever heard of. He is amazing, he is inspirational, and he is a hero. He is the perfect role model for never giving up.

When I was in fifth grade, my best friend, Kaitlin Gibson, had to be in a wheel chair as part of her black belt training. “It was weird, I missed being able to walk. But it was interesting to see the world in a different way. Only my friends really helped me out though.” Reminisces Kaitlin as she recalls that day. It makes me sick as a dog when people don’t have the least bit of consideration for their peers or elders or even adolescence, disability or not. The least you could do would be to show some R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Out of my fellow students, eight out of ten of my peers have seen people making fun of the ILC students. I have known some of them since first grade, it pains me to see them being made fun of. Be careful, they could be the next gold medal paralympian! Rolling, shooting, pushing, these extraordinary people are capable of extraordinary actions and can inspire anyone to do anything!