The Death Penalty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

An article ran in the January issue of The 21st Century supporting the death penalty. I feel that it is important to print an article in opposition to capital punishment.

The death penalty has always been one of the most hotly debated issues in the United States. As our country grows older and wiser, however, evidence clearly points to the fact that the death penalty is not a good solution.

There is no question that killing another person is the most heinous crime that one can commit. I am not sure why, but it seems that our government is being hypocritical when it states that capital punishment is allowable because, after all, the criminal did murder an innocent victim, and therefore should be killed. This is known as the "eye-for-an-eye, and tooth-for-a- tooth theory." Of course, if we used this system all the time, there would be no need for laws. If someone hits me, I would hit him/her back. How simple, we can all be primitive again.

A second argument that some people use to support capital punishment is that the fear of being given the death penalty is going to stop criminals from murdering. How many criminals would murder in the first place, even in a state where there is no capital punishment, if they thought there was a chance of getting caught? Most murderers feel that they have a fool-proof plan to get away with murder. Unfortunately, most are right.

In response, I believe that the Bill of Rights, specifically the Eighth Amendment, prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. If there is any punishment much crueler than death, please let me know.

In addition, it is time to face the fact that our judicial system is prejudiced. For instance; in southern states, 8 percent of the black criminals who murder get the death penalty. Only 1 percent of white murderers get capital punishment. Also, murderers are seven times more likely to get the death penalty for murdering a white person as they are if they murdered a black person. This strikes me as blatant prejudice.

Finally and most importantly, no one, including a judge, is perfect. What happens if a person is given capital punishment and evidence turns up later which reveals that this person is innocent? If the "criminal" was put in jail, at least partial reparations could be made later. Obviously, if a person is given the death penalty, there is no turning back.

Indeed, it is not fair that murderers are often given parole after only a few years in jail. That is the reason that I would suggest those convicted of murder should be jailed for life with no option for parole. No matter how good the murderer is in jail, he/she should not be given parole. There are plenty of bridges and roads that need to be repaired. Let the convicted murderer work for the public good for the rest of his life. True, this will never make up totally for the misery of the victim's loved ones. But at this point in time, it seems better than the alternative.n

BLACK jESUS said...
Jan. 10, 2011 at 11:06 am
I think teens who murder should be executed. They know what their doing when they kill. Its not like they are 5 years old thier about to be adults. They need to know what happens in the real world.

monkeyman540 said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 9:03 am
Does anyone think think that if a loved one in a family gets murdered, and they catch the murderer right... so should he be killed the same way he/she murdered the said family member?

Blak Jesus replied...
Jan. 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

I think that they should because they had to go through the grief of losing the family member. I think that the fanily should decide what happens to the nurder.

electrickissx3 replied...
forgive and let live, as the saying goes.

monkeyman540 said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 8:58 am
i agree with you 100%.. ive seen a lot of things like on blogs about how they can say that and get out of it. But if they can just say i have a mental disorder, and escape jail, why not just go get help and atleast try. This just isnt fair to others at all. They obviously know what they are doing because if they didnt they probably wouldnt be doing it.

Elila W. said...
The death penalty is just, depending on the case. People who premeditate the murder are usually the ones who get the death penalty as oppose to the ones who do it in the heat of the moment.

Amora replied...
I am sorry, but I just don't understand this "heat of the moment" idea. If you kill someone, you killed them, plain and simple as that. The punishment for someone who murdered "in the heat of the moment" should be the same for someone who planned the murder because whether it was done out of selfishness, strong human emotion, or blatant cruelty, doesn't matter. Murder is murder and people who kill without considering the implications still know that they are killing someone and that it is wrong.

Brunette replied...
Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:38 am
yeah so lets teach that person a lesson by killing them right? Yeah sure it is wrong but why kill that person because he killed. It's so wrong because you think that a judge, jury, or prosecutor should decide the fate of a person because they have a degree. If god can forgive someone for killing one of his child then you sure can.... 

Bobbi said...
Many people say that people with mental illnesses don't know what they are doing, well i don't believe that completely and here is why: there was a case of a man who kept being put in prison for molesting little girls and boys, they said he had a mental disorder so he got short time. He didn't want to hurt those people he knew what he was doing and the only way he could think to stop it was comit a burglary and not taking anything but wait till the police arrived. He went back to jail and begged... (more »)

krizzy said...
I agree with how a murderer should not get parol. If i had a loved one murdered then I would want the murderer to stay in jail for live aswell.

peacequack said...
i agree 110%. It is wrong!

kicker black said...

i agree good work

Danielle.K said...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 8:22 am
I completely agree with you. Killing someone becuause they killed someone is hyprocitical and wrong. No one has the right to deem another person dead not even the government

ex con said...
i think they should do away with the death penalty. i personally did time locked up in a correctional facility and for me it was the worst time of my life. to think that if i committed a capital offense and had to spend the rest of my natural life locked up it would drive me insane. that is exactly what capital offenders need. why give them a way out. your just letting them off the hook. punish them until they cant breath anymore. to waste away with no hope is far worse than killing them.

Linz09 said...
May 14, 2010 at 7:57 am
Yeah,,, i dont agree with the death penalty because whether or whether not you kill the person its not gonna bring th victim back to life and its very hypocritical

Tenthmuse said...
I think capital punishment should be legal, but only used in extreme cases. Like a mass murderer, such as Adolf Hitler or Machine Gun Kelly. Those who have mental disabilities and those that only kill one person deserve life in prison. If it's an honestly complete accident, only around 20 years. But without the threat of capital punsihment, murderers would have nothing to fear but a life in a prison that supplies you with free meals and a room.

alexandrexis replied...

Terrible meals and a horrible room...

it's better than how some people live but......I think the monotony would be worse to many people than simply dying. Either way criminals think they won't be caught....usually.

Thinker said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 7:47 am
I agree on many of your points, many who kill can't control themselves in the first place, they have mental issues. I also believe that we should rise above our primative nature, find something that those people can do to serve those whom they wronged, even if they are just breaking rocks.

softballchick said...
Apr. 15, 2010 at 11:13 am
I think that teens desreve another chance to prove their mistake and prove they can be good. It's all sense and matter. If it was a really bad way that they have no possible way of showing back there mistake, then that might be an opption.

Wayne Warrior said...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 8:05 am

To MICHAEL F.

The alternative to the death penalty

An alternative to the death penalty?  Murder brings deep sorrow into a community, especially to members of the victim. T o many people it is a burden carried with them for the rest of their lives. It’s unfair that a murderer can live while the victim is gone forever. The death penalty brings closure to the victims family. Abolishing the death penalty could increase murder rates since... (more »)