The Death Penalty | Teen Ink

The Death Penalty MAG

By Anonymous

   An article ran in the January issue of The 21st Century supporting the death penalty. I feel that it is important to print an article in opposition to capital punishment.

The death penalty has always been one of the most hotly debated issues in the United States. As our country grows older and wiser, however, evidence clearly points to the fact that the death penalty is not a good solution.

There is no question that killing another person is the most heinous crime that one can commit. I am not sure why, but it seems that our government is being hypocritical when it states that capital punishment is allowable because, after all, the criminal did murder an innocent victim, and therefore should be killed. This is known as the "eye-for-an-eye, and tooth-for-a- tooth theory." Of course, if we used this system all the time, there would be no need for laws. If someone hits me, I would hit him/her back. How simple, we can all be primitive again.

A second argument that some people use to support capital punishment is that the fear of being given the death penalty is going to stop criminals from murdering. How many criminals would murder in the first place, even in a state where there is no capital punishment, if they thought there was a chance of getting caught? Most murderers feel that they have a fool-proof plan to get away with murder. Unfortunately, most are right.

In response, I believe that the Bill of Rights, specifically the Eighth Amendment, prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. If there is any punishment much crueler than death, please let me know.

In addition, it is time to face the fact that our judicial system is prejudiced. For instance; in southern states, 8 percent of the black criminals who murder get the death penalty. Only 1 percent of white murderers get capital punishment. Also, murderers are seven times more likely to get the death penalty for murdering a white person as they are if they murdered a black person. This strikes me as blatant prejudice.

Finally and most importantly, no one, including a judge, is perfect. What happens if a person is given capital punishment and evidence turns up later which reveals that this person is innocent? If the "criminal" was put in jail, at least partial reparations could be made later. Obviously, if a person is given the death penalty, there is no turning back.

Indeed, it is not fair that murderers are often given parole after only a few years in jail. That is the reason that I would suggest those convicted of murder should be jailed for life with no option for parole. No matter how good the murderer is in jail, he/she should not be given parole. There are plenty of bridges and roads that need to be repaired. Let the convicted murderer work for the public good for the rest of his life. True, this will never make up totally for the misery of the victim's loved ones. But at this point in time, it seems better than the alternative.n



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 120 comments.


on Nov. 4 2015 at 11:36 am
HafsaAhmed PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
22 articles 2 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't believe in angry arguments , I believe in silent revenge.

Revenge doesn't merely means hurting others, it sometimes mean being a better person than you were yesterday.

There is a difference between murder and punishment! Think about the family's loss. If the family chooses to forgive the murderer then he/she should be forgiven.

on Nov. 4 2015 at 11:33 am
HafsaAhmed PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
22 articles 2 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't believe in angry arguments , I believe in silent revenge.

Revenge doesn't merely means hurting others, it sometimes mean being a better person than you were yesterday.

By the way the article was nicely written :) ! good job!

on Nov. 4 2015 at 11:32 am
HafsaAhmed PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
22 articles 2 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't believe in angry arguments , I believe in silent revenge.

Revenge doesn't merely means hurting others, it sometimes mean being a better person than you were yesterday.

I don't think I agree. The way I see it, death penalty isn't a wrong thing at all. The choice must be victim's family's. It depends what they choose. In my eyes that would be the fair judgement. If a person commits murder and kills innocent life, he deserves death penalty. He deserves to see what death really looks like. But If the victim's family chooses to forgive him then there is no point in giving him death penalty. He should be forgiven. Lastly, No, Death isn't the cruelest thing. How you die defines the thing 'cruelty'. There are far more cruel things out there than death or death penalty.

on May. 26 2015 at 4:06 pm
Nicolette27 BRONZE, Farmingville, New York
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
Thank you for such postive feedback! Im very happy you enjoyed reading it

on May. 26 2015 at 4:04 pm
Nicolette27 BRONZE, Farmingville, New York
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
Thank you! Im glad you enjoyed it:)

Zach said...
on May. 26 2015 at 3:31 pm
Wow this was outstanding.

on May. 26 2015 at 3:30 pm
Nic...i luvd it... :):)

on May. 21 2015 at 12:30 pm
Thank you so much for writing this. I needed two paragraphs for my weightlifting final on my "favorite sport" and you allowed me to get an A!

Shay<3 said...
on May. 15 2015 at 9:15 am
Thats very true.. Im kind of into law right now and might even major in it, so I think with things like that you're right. It's unfair to him to be put behind bar for that long.. He wont be given the chance to see his grandchildren at that rate. But in law sometimes they will return a case like that and release him with way less charges then he was traditionally placed with... Along with the assault of an officer, it is dumb they were put away that long for being drunk and talking without the ability to understand. Some of the laws on officer assault could, and should, be changed for examples as such.

on May. 15 2015 at 8:36 am
ABPippins SILVER, League City, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
To die may be an awfully big adventure, but to love is an even grander affair -myself

There's been a problem where minor crimes receive major punishments, too. For example, making drunken threats to a police officer while handcuffed in the back of a police car can land somebody in jail for life. Although a majority of life sentences were given due to drug related crimes, there is a case where a petty theft offender was given over 50 years of jail time for stealing movies from a K-Mart for his three children. There has to be some point in which judges are tried in turn for wrongful conviction. It doesn't seem fair to me that those children will only see their father behind bars because he was trying to steal. It's immoral.

Shay<3 said...
on May. 14 2015 at 4:00 pm
I know.. Its really one of the hardest things to answer at times.. But without the life for a life system there would be more jail houses than churches and too many more people to feed. More jail houses for living criminals would cost more in taxes and just so much more.. Really, no one wins.. Xf

on May. 12 2015 at 8:34 am
ABPippins SILVER, League City, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
To die may be an awfully big adventure, but to love is an even grander affair -myself

And just because the criminal ruined one family's lives, why is it okay for our government to ruin another's? It's hypocritical for our government to say that "a life for a life is just."

Shay<3 said...
on Apr. 20 2015 at 1:28 pm
Truly, I think is fair to an extent. Yes they did take someones life, and they ruined that family's life. So think about whether or not the incident was accidental or intentional. More or less it is wrong to murder someone but right to deal with the problem. I almost think there is no solution. As tragic as it is in both cases. But either or no one will always be right, nor win..

on Mar. 29 2015 at 3:44 pm
s.mitchells BRONZE, San Jose, California
3 articles 2 photos 3 comments
I think the death penalty should not be done as well. According to many researchers, doing the death penalty money and resources than simply having inmates imprisoned for life. There has also been debate on whether lethal injection is actually painless. Some prisoners were found to have not enough anesthetic to actually kep them unconscious. These inmates would have been extremly likely to have been fully conscience of the next two shots and would have felt excruciating pain similar to being boiled alive. However, no one would know because one of the shots prevents the inmate from moving. Therefore there's a likely chance that we are subjecting inmates to pain much worse or equal to the electric chair which is no longer used because it is considered a cruel and unusual punishment. The actual creator of lethal injections feels guilty about what he did and said that he wishes he never wrote the bill to make it legal. I hope this eye opening to those who believe the death penalty is right.

on Feb. 13 2015 at 11:57 am
The_Narrator SILVER, Raymond, Mississippi
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." -J.F.K.

@TheSkyOwesMeRain, I disagree with your statement, and there is no offense in my opinion to be made. I apologize if I come off as that way. Murdering is not the same as killing. Murdering is (a) premeditated, (b) unjust, and (c) what some would call cruel and irrational. Meanwhile, killing as a means of the death penalty is not the same as murder. Killing, although premeditated, is just (in the eyes of that law). As far as being moral, I think killing isn't moral, sure, it's just like killing people in times of war.

on Feb. 13 2015 at 11:53 am
The_Narrator SILVER, Raymond, Mississippi
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." -J.F.K.

Author, THIS is what you're looking for. You know, crueler than death? I disagree with you, @jewelia. We don't know what lethal injections are like, though. The best that scientists can come up with is that it feels like your lungs are being squeezed before you can't move at all. You're practically witnessing your own death. As far as the fact that they deserve a cruel, painful death - that's entirely immoral and unjust. It's death that we're talking about. You know, the forced end of your life? Put the Golden Rule to the test - would you like your last moments to be being ripped apart limb from limb?

on Feb. 13 2015 at 11:48 am
The_Narrator SILVER, Raymond, Mississippi
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." -J.F.K.

The death penalty is, in all honesty, a great idea. Unfortunately, mass incarceration is a very big issue, considering that our taxes are paid to house, feed, and entertain over 2.5 million criminals. Think about it: if the death penalty didn't exist, think how many would be in jail now. While it is true that killing a murderer is not the most moral option out there, it's the best choice that we have given our current economic state. Call me a fascist, but looking at the numbers - not the people, the death penalty is our practical only option at this time.

emma said...
on Feb. 5 2015 at 6:03 pm
Kimber, you know what costs more than keeping prisoners in jail? Death sentences. Like, 2-5 times as much. It is an extremely lengthy process involving appeals and hearings and paying the prosecution and judges, etc. People who whine about paying for a prisoner to live in jail are kidding themselves.

on Nov. 16 2014 at 6:10 pm
If an murederer gets murdered then it shows that YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN THE MURDERER.............

on Feb. 6 2014 at 11:02 pm
missct16, yes God is the giver of life. But if you continue to read the Bible, God also gives the government authority to take life and inflict physical harm. With that being said, God says for us to obey and submit to the government.