Why Do Teenagers Drink? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Why is drinking alcohol so popular at the high school level? As a high school student, I think I have a thorough understanding of what is going on.

Most people would agree that alcohol can be dangerous and quite damaging, directly or indirectly. The only people who believe otherwise are either denying a known fact or are extremely ignorant.

Most people would agree that being drunk isn't very pleasurable since they lose control over many of their actions, and afterwards, as a direct result, feel darn sick. Personally, I feel as though vomiting isn't much fun, but maybe it's me.

Okay, let's be entirely honest. What enjoyment is gained from drinking? I think I have an answer, and I'll admit now I may be entirely off-base, but I have confidence in my theory: Drinking gives a sense of infantile satisfaction.

When I was a junior, my English teacher (to make a point) put an envelope on his desk that was labeled "dirty pictures" and he said nobody was to touch it. A child feels a strong curiosity when told s/he cannot drink alcohol. Every child loves to disobey the "rules." So s/he is compelled to try it. The reason why drinking is so popular among high school students is because it is considered fun and acceptable to break rules.

I have only one piece of advice for these drinkers: take responsibility for yourself and ask yourself why you are drinking. Teenagers couldn't give an intelligent answer to justify their actions. And "It's fun!" is not an intelligent answer. To put it nutshell: grow up, you are impressing no one but other immature people. n

dannn said...
how about you get why we drink from a real teenager. Quit trying to act like you know what we are thinking by using very descriptive and professional words. Its obvious i drink because when i drink i always have a great time. Because when i drink i do things that normally im am to embarassed or shy. alot of my best nights ive had have been when i was drunk  

nkwhatchamacallit said...
Support D.A.R.E DRUG ABUSE RESIST EDUCATION  ***To Resist Drugs and Violence.***

smoremore said...
This is so true and it is sad that people have to get down that low to get attention but I say only your opinion matters. It's what you think of your self and it's always good to think good of your self. So for people who are down on their luck just hold your head up high and look ahead and know that the day ends and a new one begins.

Ashante212 said...
SOME KIDS JUST WANT ATTENTION FROM THEIR PARENTS AND NEED IT BAD SO I WOULDN'T GET MAD... I WOULD TRY TO HELP !

eileentotheleft said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm:
I understand the point of this article; however, it was not a very good approach. The "extremely ignorant" comment is an attack comment, which is the opposite of what you want to do in this sort of writing. Honestly, this is a bad article. Try stepping outside of your opinions long enough to learn to write.

LIL BUBBLES said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:06 am:
I AGREE THAT TEENAGERS ARE TO SMALL TO BE DOING ALL THAT STUFF DELING WITH DRUGS OR ALCOHOL. I THINK THAT THEY SHOULD STOP BECAUSE THAT IS BAD 4 THEM.

Noitcif_plup_92 said...
Well I am a high school senior and I have been drunk only 3 times. I haven't had a sip in 2 years. I don't know why, but I think it starts out as social thing. If you want to be "cool" and have fun then you must drink or do other things..... I didn't enjoy any of the times I was drunk. I ended up just puking and sleeping through all 3 experiences. Some just must enjoy it I guess.

nkwhatchamacallit replied...
Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm :
Don't be a follower... ESPECIALLY if you don't enjoy being one.

jimmydane34 said...
why are people looking for an intelligent answer to a question that is so simplicit to answer. my answer to why i drink is to enjoy a night with good friends, what poetic intelligent answer do you expect. when i drink i never made a irrational action that has me regret something terribly nor do i puke. general teenage public population who do drinnk act dum and drink for a reason that is not rational. but general society is ignorant and act irrational in every aspect..not just the on alcoholic b... (more »)

GiselleD. said...
Dec. 5, 2010 at 12:32 am:
Have you ever had a drink? Not saying that I have, because I haven't, but people who actually do this seem to have a very different opinion to what you have said. I think, overall, it is a good article, I just think that maybe it's easier to speak on this subject when you have experienced it yourself, rather than speak on what you think it feels like for the ones that DO do it.

youranidiot said...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 7:13 am:
You have like 8 typos, and as a teen who has drank how about the fact that alcohol lowers your inhibitions and make, makes you feel adventorous, and really helps white people like me dance. weather or not it's alllowed legally ,has nothing to do with it for most people, otherwise 45 year olds would drink.

Stacy0543 said...
*CORRECTION! I meant I would NOT endorse it to anyone else.

nkwhatchamacallit replied...
Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:50 pm :
Actually "escaping" from reality with drugs, makes reality worse.  I actually happen to like reality.... as I see it in a positive perspective.

Stacy0543 said...
I'm a teenage drinker, and I also smoke. You're right; I have no intelligent reason why I do it. I do it anyways though. I do it so I can escape my problems and not worry about them anymore. Any state of mind is better than reality. I have to just get away for awhile, and come back with a fresh set of eyes to sort out my problems. I think it gives us a little vacation so we come back refreshed and we haven't gone anywhere. That’s why I drink and smoke. I can't speak for anybody else, ... (more »)

theskeptist replied...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 1:29 am :
I agree, this is very true

Noitcif_plup_92 replied...
Jan. 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm :
That is true. It is nice to escape reality for a little bit, but there are other ways like writing or watching a movie. It's not gonna make you feel as good as you would drinking (unless you get very sick like I do) or doing other kinds of drugs, but you'll feel better in the long run.

AgnotTheOdd said...
I dont understand why "it's fun" isnt a good answer.  I run with my dogs because its fun.  I bike because its fun.  Sometimes I even write because its fun.  Whats wrong with drinking for fun?

Kresint50401 replied...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 11:52 am :

I actually quite honestly agree with you. =) Sometimes people don't have an explanation for why they do things that don't seem to make sense. It's just enjoyable. And if we can't do something just because we can't say it's "fun" then what are we supposed to say??

People do do things to "rebel" but on the other hand, making mistakes and dumb choices is part of growing up. And the best way to learn is make the not-so-good decisions and understand why it's not a smart thing to do. If peop... (more »)

ktluvz ya replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 9:46 am :

i think tht is a really good point

agsmiley888 said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 8:55 pm:
i completely agree with you i beieve that as children when being told not to do something you feel the curiosity of doing it, i think that for some reason that's a part of every human expirience when they want to brake the rules. But personally i think that some teenagers drink usually because of the pressure that their so called friends put them on, and no one wants to feel left out. Also some drink because of the fact of trying to make their problems go away with out noticing hat they ... (more »)