Why Do Teenagers Drink? | Teen Ink

Why Do Teenagers Drink? MAG

Why is drinking alcohol so popular at the high school level? As a high school student, I think I have a thorough understanding of what is going on.

Most people would agree that alcohol can be dangerous and quite damaging, directly or indirectly. The only people who believe otherwise are either denying a known fact or are extremely ignorant.

Most people would agree that being drunk isn't very pleasurable since they lose control over many of their actions, and afterwards, as a direct result, feel darn sick. Personally, I feel as though vomiting isn't much fun, but maybe it's me.

Okay, let's be entirely honest. What enjoyment is gained from drinking? I think I have an answer, and I'll admit now I may be entirely off-base, but I have confidence in my theory: Drinking gives a sense of infantile satisfaction.

When I was a junior, my English teacher (to make a point) put an envelope on his desk that was labeled "dirty pictures" and he said nobody was to touch it. A child feels a strong curiosity when told s/he cannot drink alcohol. Every child loves to disobey the "rules." So s/he is compelled to try it. The reason why drinking is so popular among high school students is because it is considered fun and acceptable to break rules.

I have only one piece of advice for these drinkers: take responsibility for yourself and ask yourself why you are drinking. Teenagers couldn't give an intelligent answer to justify their actions. And "It's fun!" is not an intelligent answer. To put it nutshell: grow up, you are impressing no one but other immature people. n

on Sep. 30 2010 at 11:52 am
Kresint50401 BRONZE, Erie, Pennsylvania

I actually quite honestly agree with you. =) Sometimes people don't have an explanation for why they do things that don't seem to make sense. It's just enjoyable. And if we can't do something just because we can't say it's "fun" then what are we supposed to say??

People do do things to "rebel" but on the other hand, making mistakes and dumb choices is part of growing up. And the best way to learn is make the not-so-good decisions and understand why it's not a smart thing to do. If people feel the need to drink, then they should be ready to accept the consequences if they get into trouble.

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

I dont understand why "it's fun" isnt a good answer.  I run with my dogs because its fun.  I bike because its fun.  Sometimes I even write because its fun.  Whats wrong with drinking for fun?

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

i completely agree with you i beieve that as children when being told not to do something you feel the curiosity of doing it, i think that for some reason that's a part of every human expirience when they want to brake the rules. But personally i think that some teenagers drink usually because of the pressure that their so called friends put them on, and no one wants to feel left out. Also some drink because of the fact of trying to make their problems go away with out noticing hat they will only go away for a certain amount. Personally i think that if parent gave their children trust the kids would grow up responsible and that has to do with waht you say, because since they are being allowed to do it they don't feel a need to go against hair parent wishes. I speak from experience cause my parents explained that to me, and have also not forced me away from a teenage experience. I completly agree with you.

Gabs(: SILVER said...
Gabs(: SILVER, Florence, Kentucky

Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that's what makes you different. -Sara Dessen.

People at my school are the same they brag about smoking and drinking, and i think its totally uncool. The writing was a little scattered and points not carried out. but it was still good. (:

on Nov. 26 2009 at 12:27 am
spontaneous09 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
It's in the opinion catagory...

But, that may part of the reasons teenagers drink. The only difference is this: We are actually being told what can happen to you if you do decide to drink. Or, we already know the side effects.

CaseyLeigh PLATINUM, Moraga, California

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

I understand the point, but this article's supposed to be an informational piece about why teenagers drink and instead it's a very unfounded opinion piece.