Why Do Teenagers Drink? | Teen Ink

Why Do Teenagers Drink? MAG

By Anonymous

   Why is drinking alcohol so popular at the high school level? As a high school student, I think I have a thorough understanding of what is going on.

Most people would agree that alcohol can be dangerous and quite damaging, directly or indirectly. The only people who believe otherwise are either denying a known fact or are extremely ignorant.

Most people would agree that being drunk isn't very pleasurable since they lose control over many of their actions, and afterwards, as a direct result, feel darn sick. Personally, I feel as though vomiting isn't much fun, but maybe it's me.

Okay, let's be entirely honest. What enjoyment is gained from drinking? I think I have an answer, and I'll admit now I may be entirely off-base, but I have confidence in my theory: Drinking gives a sense of infantile satisfaction.

When I was a junior, my English teacher (to make a point) put an envelope on his desk that was labeled "dirty pictures" and he said nobody was to touch it. A child feels a strong curiosity when told s/he cannot drink alcohol. Every child loves to disobey the "rules." So s/he is compelled to try it. The reason why drinking is so popular among high school students is because it is considered fun and acceptable to break rules.

I have only one piece of advice for these drinkers: take responsibility for yourself and ask yourself why you are drinking. Teenagers couldn't give an intelligent answer to justify their actions. And "It's fun!" is not an intelligent answer. To put it nutshell: grow up, you are impressing no one but other immature people. n