Stereotypes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Stereotypes

by K. S., Antrim, NH

I am a junior in high school and I can't seem to get people to understand that I am a real person with feelings. Just because I am a good student who is on the National Honor Society doesn't mean that I have no life outside of school. It really hurts when people make fun of you because you are smart. What should I do? Should I play dumb to please everyone? The thing that I really hate is being stereotyped. If you are intelligent, you are a "dexter." If you are kind of dumb and you dress differently, then you are considered a "nerd." The "popular" crowd is supposed to be filled with snobs and preps. Really, none of these stereotypes is accurate. Many "popular" kids aren't snobby and many "nerds" aren't stupid. Everyone has a unique personality, but no one gives us a chance to show who we really are. Just once I would like to attend a school where it doesn't matter how you dress or what your I.Q. is. I'm not even sure if one exists. I wish there was a way to show everyone how wrong stereotypes really are.

SarahG said...
Jul. 31, 2009 at 3:46 am
you should come to my school, very very small, but here everyone is either a farmer or a town person, there are no cliches(well not very many)

BellaBarbaric said...
Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:12 am
I completly agree, although I live in The UK we have the same problem and I am also classed a "Nerd" or a "Geek" just because I am good and get good marks, it really hurts when people say things about me, but I don't see why I should have to change to please the "popular" kids, if they don't like me then that's they're problem. Forget trying to please people, you never will, just be yourself and have your own opinion instead of following the crowd.