A Problem With The Press | Teen Ink

A Problem With The Press MAG

I just have one question for all readers: why is there more publicity over the death of a celebrity than there is over a living saint ... Most people know by now that I'm talking about the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and of Mother Theresa.

Sure, Diana was nice enough, but she was no saint. All the Princess did was go to charity benefits and campaign to stop the use of landmines. She stopped twenty-five thousand innocent people a year (the majority children) from being killed because soldiers had planted landmines. My opinion is she did this for the publicity.

What the press doesn't care about is that she cheated on her ex-husband, Prince Charles, and insulted the Royal Family on many occasions. She also was dating a world-reknown playboy, Dodi Al Fayed. Even though she went to charity benefits to raise money, she donated little of her own money although she was exceptionally wealthy. Should that kind of woman be canonised? It has been said that her faith and self-sacrifice would give her the strength to move mountains.

Compare the two women and then think about what was said about either's death. When Princess Diana died, every station's broadcast was interrupted to announce the news. Coverage is still on the front page of many newspapers and magazines. I found out about Mother Theresa's death on the radio on the bus riding home from school in the following form: "Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Mother Theresa died today of heart problems. In other news today ..." I was devastated and speechless. I was later told her funeral would be broadcast on Saturday, September 13th once with no song written for her. Diana's funeral was broadcast live and replayed all throughout the day and a song was written for her by Elton John.

I do not find this fair whatsoever. I am outraged, and I hate how bad things in life are always in the news before the good things. What is the world coming to? Theresa fed the hungry, clothed the naked, and sheltered the homeless for millions of people more than 120 countries.