Divided

Author's note: This was originally a short story for my English class. It  does  contain violence,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

This was originally a short story for my English class. It does contain violence, although I've tried to tone it down. All the same, if you're not one for violence, I'd recommend not reading this. 

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Him

He is the one who chose the man in the chair. He is the one who watched as that man was beaten. Tell me what you know, he said. Tell me everything. He stared the man down, looking into wide eyes for any signs of lies or deceptions. It doesn’t surprise him that every word the man said was a lie.

Lies lead to truth eventually. It’s just a matter of chipping away at that resistance.

There are many ways to coerce someone. The simplest, of course, is to beat it out of someone. But he knows that beatings are a blunt tool, and to penetrate a web of deceit, sometimes a scalpel is needed. He is a surgeon. He can dissect their words and their behavior, he can find their fears, and he can use anything he finds with utmost precision. He is never the one inflicting pain but he’s the one they fear most.
He walks back out to face the thirteen men. Silent, all of them, the one he spoke to not even daring to move. He scans their faces. There is terror on every one, but the sparks of defiance are still there, a fire for him to smother. That one, he thinks, looking at a man staring at the ground. Yes. Him. His men grab the unlucky one.

Now. Pain threshold always makes this complicated. Not enough pain and the interrogator will be met with scorn and no answers, but too much and the interrogator will be met with an unconscious man and still no answers. But he’s had practice.

This book has 22 comments. Post your own now!

valkyrie1212 said...
Jan. 29 at 4:47 am
This is like my first time I've actually used this site, so I didn't know that all comments will be shown on every chapter! I apologise, if I find something exceptional/to improve, I'll name the Chapter.

valkyrie1212 said...
Jan. 29 at 4:43 am
The use of the 'second person' point of view provided a nice start to the book. I was a little unsure at the start because I felt the first two paragraphs dragged out a little too much, but after reading the whole chapter, that intro started to feel like more of a foundation, which is good. Not sure if that's what you were aiming for, but it was good. I liked how it slowly slips into the action, the suspense. The grammar, spelling, all that jazz - great. The end of the chapter was really well do... (more »)