Black and Grey | Teen Ink

Black and Grey

August 8, 2016
By Darktress, Tucson, Arizona
More by this author
Darktress, Tucson, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 59 comments

The author's comments:
i tried to make this feel like a 1920's ganaster themed story. I just hope that you guys feel like it is.

I came home one evening tired from the long day’s work. I’m a copper you see and the criminals in this god forsaken city never seem to sleep. I was tired from working the night shift at the Chicago police department and I figured that I would pour myself a drink, because I deserved it. So I poured myself whiskey into a clear glass that stood next to the sofa on the lamp table. Grabbing it I sit down in my chair. I try to relax, only thinking of the days where everything had made sense and none of it was in chaos. I started to get comfortable when I hear a knock on the door. Just my luck never get a chance to relax. I go to the door expecting molly the Dumb Dora to be standing there waiting to talk my ear off.
(She always knew when I’d be back in my apartment trying to fall asleep.)To my surprise she wasn’t there, instead laid a cardboard box in all its glory. As they say “curiosity killed the cat” My mistake was ever opening that door in the first place because as soon as I did one of Sylvester’s goons had a bean-shooter pointed at my head. How did I know it was one of Sylvester’s goons? Because they wear too much body order.

“Listen copper the boss man aint to happy with you putting all his men in the big house. He would most appreciate it if you quit doing your job.”
“Why? So rats like you can run the city with chaos and deception? You may pack heat and have chopper squads, but to everyone your still scum.”
“This is a warning copper if I was you I’d skip town and never look back.” he hit my head with the butt of the bean-shooter. That was it.

I knew he was gone before I made the move to turn around. Even guys who wore masked never scared me. So why would I let myself be pushed around by Sylvester’s dames? They don’t own me, I’m the justice and law around here. This is my town and there in for a surprise.

I push through the departments doors with my brief case in one hand and my coat slung over my shoulder with only one finger holding it up. All you can hear from this is the loud banging drawers, ringing telephones, shouts, and dames balling their eyes out. I see my partner in crime sitting at his desk dealing with last night’s killing. I approached the desk wanting to see what his reaction to me being back from vacation would be.

When I knew he wasn’t paying attention I slammed my brief case down on his desk. Making every one stop in their tracks. I didn’t really pay attention to that I only had my eyes on my partner who by the way flew three maybe four feet high from his chair.

When he came back to earth he gave me his dirtiest glares he could give me which spread into an ear to ear smile.

“You dirt ball American charmer, you finally back from kicking in the sand?”

“Come on Jack when have you ever knew me to just kick back and relax when we still got a whole lot of scum bags to put in the can?”

“Ah but Jimmy boy that’s only half the fun when you don’t have a partner at your side.” He looked

around me at the now staring crowd we had.

“What all ya pansies looking at get back to work, COAL!!! IN MY OFFICE NOW!!!” Chief said.

“Be there in a minute cap.” Jimmy said.

“Mr. Coal in my office now.”

“Yes cap.” I say as I mutter under my breath.

“You better go you are already on his bad side Jim don’t make it worse.”

“Yes captain obvious.”

“Hey I’m just saying Jim, you already broke one of his rules you really want to start something that you aint gonna finish?”

“You know me Jack I don’t follow rules.”

He only shakes his head and continues back to his work. After muttering under his breathe
“one day that gonna get you killed.” I only smirked and walked to Capt. Office.

Everyone at the station knew that I laugh at the face of danger. No one even tried to stop me, but their right I shouldn’t do the things that could get me killed. No matter what type of thrill I get from it.

“Coal would you like to explain to me why you disobeyed my orders?”

“Capt. you wanted to see me?” I said.

“Coal, why in the god fearing of hell did you dismissed my direct order?”

“What order would that be sir?”
“I gave you a direct order to stay your ground.”

“But Capt. He was getting away and I had to pursue him. If I hadn’t we would still be chasing our tails.”

“(sigh) this is a warning Coal you disobey my orders again and you’re out. Got it?”

“Yes Capt.”

The Capt. just look at me with an unreadable expression on his face that told me I was off the hook, but that didn’t mean I didn’t get any repercussions. I was told I had to be a meter maid for a week. I hated that job, but I still had to do it.

It’s just going to be another cold and bitter day for us Chicago people.

The author's comments:
not done with this chapter yet i will be putting part2 up soon

Why is it so f*ing cold here in the winter? I could’ve been in Hawaii. Just kicking up sand, enjoying the oceans view, but nope I’m stuck as a meter maid. Well that’s what I get for trying to cause no troubles. I continue muttering under my breath when I hear an alarm go off. It sounded more like a bank alarm, so I took action and headed straight across the bank. Convenient right? Anyways there I am running towards the entrance of the bank when I heard a bean-shooter go off. I rushed in side yelling freeze, big mistake. A grifter was packing some extreme heat, started shooting my way. Of course I dive behind a counter waiting for his gun to rub out of bullets. {3…2…1} I start shooting him, he is still shooting at me, I’m yelling at someone to call in for some help.


Of course no one is going towards the phone their too afraid to be shot. Then I hear this “all right scums put down your weapons and get on the floor with your hands and knees. Go on move it.” Said a dame. I look from my position behind the counter and wow from what I could tell the doll face had everything covered. “Are you gonna stand there all day like a lost puppy?” she said to me. “That depends on whose you is dolls face.”
“Does it really matter who I is I just apprehended the goons and you want to stand there like a Dumb Dora.” the broad said.
“Look here sweet cheeks I aint here to argue wit chew. I here to arrest the goons who decided to do a heist at a local bank that I proudly helped build myself.”
“Would you two’s shut your yappers and start putting bracelets on them?”

I came out of my hiding place seeming as the coast was clear and started towards the dame who called me the Dumb Dora. She was a cute little thing I can tell yeah that much. “Say where you from anyways doll face.” I asked. “That aint nun of your business copper and if I was you I’d stay out of it.” She said with a snappish voice. “Hey whoa, whoa hey there aint no need for that kind of tone doll face I can put you in the stir if you like.” I could see that fire in her eyes dim down from me threatening to hold her in the big house along with the stupid goon who was still on the floor at my feet.
She said no more to me and I was fine with that. Some dames just need to learn their place in life. I could now here the sirens of the gum-shoe boiler pulling up to the crime scene. “We got it from here copper.” “‘bout time you twos shows up, I was gonna put this guy in the slammer.” I said. One of them started to take him away while the other one started to talk to doll face over there. Then I got me thinking why there are detectives here. Why aren’t my boys in blue? After the bear-cat broad was done talking to the detectives I headed over there to talk to him myself.

“Detective I got a question here, why are you here instead of my boys?”
“Because as soon as we heard there was a bank heist we were the first ones to respond. Plus this guy is wanted for homicide.”

I didn’t believe them for a second. I knew something is fishy is going around here and I tend to find that out, but first back to meter-maid duty. (Ugh)

After a week of the humiliating meter-maid duty I finally got back to what I was intended to do and that was solve cases and drink coffee. The first lucky catch of the day is “The Bronzo Brothers.” They were the vicious stereo type murders on the block and let me tell you they’re slippery than a cat fish on a hook.
They are cryptic too. We have been on their case for two years now. We’re about this close from catching them. I just got back from my vacation when they put me on this case, don’t know why our boys in blue couldn’t handle it or why I was put on it.
I just know I aint the one to be messin with.I was about all most ready to open the case file when a brown sack landed on my desk.

“Figured you’d be hungry jimmy so I got us some-tin to eat.”

“Tanks, but no I gotta solve this case it’s driving me nuts.”

“Want some help with that?”

“Sure tanks jack you always come through for me.”

Jack slides into his chair and I give him the folder that held the information we needed to solve this case with. We went over it, over it, and over it. But no new clues popped up, then I saw it. A clue to help with this case.

I grabbed my partner and took the car all the way to the crime scene that was located in a library. I know, why couldn’t it be more like in an alleyway or in a museum? Nope it was in a library which has been permanently closed because of the killing and to keep it from being contaminated by anybody.

I went straight to where I thought new evidence showed up in the photo I had. “Jack get your ass over here and tell me what ya see?” my partner takes a close look at what I was pointing at

“I see nun-in Jimmy just some dust and crap, but I don’t see nun-in.”

“Try to look closer you nim-rod.”

“Hey don’t call me that Jim you know I hate that.”

“Then look closer and stop acting like one.”

“I will show you who’s a nim-rod and utter stuff is…getting on my nerves…kick his behind…some kind of partner he is…”

that was my partner for you muttering nonsense again because I made him mad. Well boo the f who he needs to get over it before I kick his behind all the way to the slammer.
So I start to walk around and I heard something coming from the back.

“Yo Jack get your ass over here, but be quite about it.”

“Yeah, yeah I’m coming hold your horses.”

“You’d here dat.” silence for a second.

“Yeah I hear it, might be one of them. You go that way and I will go towards the back.”

I nod in agreement to this. I know that the rule of thumb says not to split up, but how are we going to get the two if we don’t? I head towards them thinking I got the drop on them.

I no longer thought that, I turned the corner ready to put bracelets on them when one of them had me a gun point. “Don’t move copper or your brains end up on that wall over there.”

Like any copper would do I stood still waiting for that one perfect moment.

“Hey Bobby I got a badge here.”

“So did I Ricky, so did I.” I saw that my partner was at the same situation that I was in. we both stood there with our hands up looking at each other until we gave each other a signal.

“You twos are gonna swim with the fishes after we’re through with you.” I’m guessing the one called Bobby said.

“Oh yeah?” Jack said

“Yeah.”

“OH yeah?”

“YEAH!” Bobby said. That’s when I gave him the signal and we both acted on it. I gutted Booby with my elbow while Jack fought Ricky for the gun.

I turned around only to be punched in the gut, I could see from the corner of my eye that Jack was winning so I continued
Fighting Ricky (Right…left…left…right…jab…upper cut) lights out.

I cuffed my guy now just waiting on Jack. “Need any help there Jack?”
“Nope I got him just give me five more minutes.”

He sound way to out of breath, I think he needs to work out more. As I sat there I copied the motion that Jack had used on the goon.

“60 seconds left Jack come on you can handle him.” “I know Jim just zip your lips.”*smack* head right into the gut. Big mistake on his part, I mean Ricky. Jack clasped his fist together and came down hard on Ricky’s spine hard. That ended the battle between the both of them.

“Finally it was starting to get to the point where I was going to take a catnap.”

“Oh bite the big one Jim.”

“In your dreams Jack.”

“I’m going to call in, should be back in less than five.”

“Okay Jim just hurry up I got to cuff this guy.” I gave him a nod and headed bag to the boiler.

(Jack P.O.V)

As soon as Jack left I went to Bobby and slapped his face wanting him to wake up.

“Hey you in there pal.”

He opened his eyes and spit in my face. I wiped his spit from my eyes.

“Sylvester is going to know about this and he won’t let you put us in the slammer.”

“I work for Sylvester numb skull and he aint to happy about the two of you messing things up.”

his eyes widen at that. “So here’s the deal I’m going to shoot the two of you and I’m going to make it look like you were trying to escape. You go for the gun next to you and be before you can shoot batta bing batta boom your dead.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


Darktress said...
on Aug. 23 2016 at 1:55 pm
Darktress, Tucson, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 59 comments
would anyone like to give me feed back or suggest anything?