'The Beginning'

Author's note: I thought of the idea for this book when I was thinking of superheros, I realized that almost all...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I thought of the idea for this book when I was thinking of superheros, I realized that almost all of them were atleast in highschool. So I thought I should change that, put it from a middle schoolers point of view.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next »

Cam's P.O.V.

Everything was black, I heard voices in the distance, swirling around me, yet I couldn’t see them. I moaned my head was killing me, it felt as if there was a raging stampede inside my head, trying to break free of my skull. But the feeling was groggy, like it wasn’t in full force, as if it was sleeping, but still there, sedated almost. Slowly things started to appear through the darkness that had clouded my vision, helping me to relax, but for only a moment.
I came too, surround by people, strapped with wires, needles in me, dazed and confused. It took everything I had not to totally and, COMPLETELY FREAK OUT.
“What’s going on? Where am I?” I asked, nerve-rattling dazed.
“Hey Cam, you’re in the hospital.”
There was a short pause before I said anything, then I just laughed (which REALLY hurt!) and said, “Hey, it could always be worse.”
“That’s funny, especially since it’s coming from you.” Brad said with a smirk.
“What do you mean by that?” I asked, sort of worried about the answer, but not wanting to show it.
No one spoke, so I asked again, but to everybody now, “What did he mean by that?”
Finally somebody spoke up, it was Lily, “You’re going to be in a… in a wheelchair for the next two months.” I didn’t know what to say, what could I say? The hospital room was blanketed in a thick silence. Then I thought of what to say, “Two months, right?” Tilly slowly nodded her head. Then I said, “Well, it could be worse, could be in a wheelchair forever… but now the question is who is going to push me around for the next couple of days until this heals up.” I gestured to my arm in the sling. Everybody did a small laugh; I was almost always been able to lighten the mood.
“I am sorry but visiting hours are over, you need to leave.” A nurse said, that had come into the room.
The next day I was FINALLY allowed to get out of bed. I was told by one of the nurses not to wander around the hospital too much, because I was supposed to have an important visitor arrive later on today. But I wasn’t really paying attention; all I could do was think about getting outside of these four excruciatingly dull walls. Then nurse wheeled in a wheelchair, it was a standard hospital wheelchair, the nurse helped me into it and wheeled me outside my tiny room. I shouted, “FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!” and tried to make a hasty escape by quickly wheeling myself down the hallway.
Yeah, it didn’t really work out that well. Since my left arm was in a sling, I could only push with my right arm, which was still really sore. All my effort resulted in was me pathetically pushing myself slowly in a complete circle. I must have looked so ridiculous with my determined look on my face, weakly trying to push myself with only my right arm, with all my might, but only ending in me pathetically turning in a complete circle. My nurse even laughed at me!
“I’m sorry, but that is the second worst attempt to escape I have ever seen.” Someone behind me said with a chuckle. He sounded familiar. “I’ll take her from here, if you don’t mind.” The voice added. I could almost recognize the voice, PLEASE let it not be who I think it is! I turn my head to see who it was, and what do you know, I was right, it was Max.
“Hey Max, what’s going on? Can you make yourself useful, and help me escape from this cramp room; it’s kind of difficult for me to make a quick get away with this… this thing.” I said with a small, little, depressed grin, gesturing to the sling my arm was in.
“Nothing much, why are you trying to escape any ways? The food can’t be that bad.” He said, laughing at his own joke. “No it’s not the food, I just can’t stand being in that little room anymore, or otherwise I’m going to go insane,” I said, “the food’s actually pretty good, I recommend the ham sandwich with the baked potato soup.” I drooled at the idea of baked potato soup; no one has fed me since lunch, YESTERDAY, and it is lunch time already!
“Why don’t I take you to the hospital’s cafeteria for some lunch?-That is if you want to.”Max asked me, is he blushing a little?!?
“Please! No one has fed me since yesterday!” I pleaded.
“All right then, too the cafeteria it is, here we go!” max said, pushing me to the elevator.
As we neared the cafeteria, the smells that lingered in the hallway near the entrance reached me. I was so hungry that when the smells hit me, it made me feel light headed. An involuntary “mmmmm…” left my mouth as we entered the cafeteria.
“What do you want to eat?”Max asked me as he wheeled me toward the tables.
I looked at him with an eyebrow raised, “do you really want me to answer that question truthfully?” I asked him, laughing.
He looked me in the eyes with a grin and said, “Sure, why not?”
“Fine, truthfully, EVERTHING in that display case by that cash register. But I’ll settle for a cheese burger, milkshake, and fries, I am starving!” I said with an eager grin.