'The Beginning'

Author's note: I thought of the idea for this book when I was thinking of superheros, I realized that almost all...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I thought of the idea for this book when I was thinking of superheros, I realized that almost all of them were atleast in highschool. So I thought I should change that, put it from a middle schoolers point of view.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Cam's P.O.V.

“Hey Tilly, want to meet up with me and Lily in the new park to work on the environmental project due next month?”
“Sure.”
“Okay meet me in the park in 30, I’m going to call Lily now.”
“Kay kay.”
I hung up and began to punch in Lily’s number.
“Hey Lily! Tilly and I were going to the new park to work on the environmental project in 30, you coming?”
“Sure, I’ll grab my bike and head out right now.”
“Okay, see yah soon.-Oh bring a notebook with you.”
“Okay, see yah soon.”
And then the phone went dead, when the call ended. I grabbed my small, worn out black bookbag, and walked out of my cluttered bedroom. I had been clean earlier today, but it was already back to the organized chaos that I had grown accustom to over the years.” Where do you think you’re going?” I heard my mom call from inside her bedroom. I turned my head to face her as I walked down the hallway, “Tilly, Lily, and I were going to the new park that they opened up a month ago, across the street, to work on the environmental project due next month, is that okay with you?”I asked, stopped at the corner of the hallway. “I guess so,” she said, “Do you have you cell phone with you?” “Yes.” I said, about to walk out the front door. “Okay, just don’t stay out to long, and stay with your friends, you have to be home by 7:00pm. Here’s is 20 bucks for you and your friends in case you get hungry.” She said handing me the dollar bill. “Don’t get in to any trouble!” She shouted to me as I ran out the door. “I won’t!” I shouted back to her as I raced out the door.
Boy was I wrong.
I stuffed the 20 in my pocket and pulled my bike out of the shed. It was a deep iridescent purple, with black stripes, the chain was a little rusty and if you pedal too fast it catches, but it’s still a good bike in my opinion.
I biked down to the end of my winding driveway, at the end of the driveway; I watched cars on the highway zip by in both directions. I looked for an opening, but there wasn’t one. So with a sigh, I pulled my bookbag off my shoulders and opened it up. I was looking for the signs I had made earlier this year, they were two medium-sized cardboard signs with straps I could attach to my arm instead o f holding them up, on them I had written in HUGE letters, ‘STOP PLEASE!!!!!!!’ I strapped them on my arms, and waited. I held up my left arm sign so I could pull out of my driveway, it probably looks stupid but it works, I made it to the other side of the street in almost no time.
At the park I pulled the signs off my arms and placed them back in the medium- sized compartment of my bookbag. I got my first good look at the park since they just finished building it a week ago, today was the grand opening, they had already had the ceremony so it was a lot less crowded then it had been at lunch time. The park in my opinion was perfect, it was mostly paved trails and there was a small clearing for people to have picnics, plus there wasn’t any of those tacky climbing toys/castles. And a plus, the woods surrounding it had been cleared of poisonous snakes and bugs to avoid any accidents, the woods were perfect for exploring and having an adventure.
I rode on my bike for awhile, until I heard someone say from behind me, “Hey Cam, what are you doing here? You come to go on the exploration too?” the person said. I stopped my bike to see who had talked to me; it was Max, the über cute guy that had moved here 2 months ago. “Hey Max, I’m just waiting for Tilly and Lily to get here so we can work on our project- wait exploration?” I asked, curiosity getting the better of me. “Me and two of the guys are doing a little exploring in the woods today with some other people from school, you’re welcome to come if you want.”
“No thanks. We really need to work on the project.” I said, already regretting turning down the offer. WHY DID I SAY NO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
“Hey dude!”A voice called, “Why you hangin’ out with bookworm?” the voice was getting closer, I turned my head to see who had spoken and saw Brad and Drake barreling down the path toward us on his skateboard, narrowly missing taking out a kid . “Hey lamebrains, long time no see?” I said.
“You know it Bookworm, little far from the library don’t yah think?” Drake retorted.
“Hey at least I know where it is half-wit.” I said with a sarcastic smile.
“Whatever, come guys lets go.” He said, and started to walk away.
“No it’s okay, I was leaving already. Bye Max.” I said, getting on my bike again, and with a quick peace out, I was off.
“Hey Cam, Ready to work on the project now?” I heard Lily shout from behind me, I stopped for her to catch up. “Yeah, we just have to wait for Tilly.” I replied as she pulled up on her bike beside me. Just then Tilly pulled up on her bike coming to a screeching halt. “Speak of the devil, we were just wondering when you would get here. Ready to work on the project?” Lily asked.
“Yeah, so do you want to work at a picnic table or out on the clearing?” Tilly asked as we pushed our bikes down the path to nowhere in particular yet.
I looked up at the clouds; the bottoms have been threatening to fall out for the last three days.
“Umm…… I think we should go to the concession stand and buy some of the disposable ponchos, It looks like the clouds are about to break loose.” I said.
“Good idea, but I thought of that already.” Lily said as she pulled out the COOLEST ponchos I have ever seen from her silver messenger bag. They were a dark sky-blue, with black polka dots on one , another had in a large loopy-styled cursive, “Lily”, her name, printed across the back in a big font, and the last one, was just a simple solid-colored one, it was the same color as the other ones, a dark sky-blue. She handed the striped one to Tilly, and the solid-colored on to me, and understandably, kept the one with her name on it for herself. And just in time too, there was a thunderous crack of lightening and then the bottom of the dark, storm clouds broke loose in a down pour of rain. “Agggh!!!” we cried, as we struggled, trying to get into the ponchos quickly. I hate getting wet-Well, at least when it was cold, and by the time I had gotten into my poncho I soaked to the bone, and even though it was summer, it was cold! “So I guess we’re going to work on the picnic tables with the roofs!” Lily shouted, struggling to be heard over the sound of the pounding rain. Tilly and I nodded our heads at her in agreement.
We got our bikes and started to pedal to the tables. While we were pedaling we passed a stern-looking lady holding an umbrella and a suitcase, she looked like she came straight from in any spy movie you could ever see, where the spy was waiting at the rendezvous point with the top secret package... weird… But I just shrugged off the creeping feeling I was getting that something bad was going to happen.

I REEEEEALLY shouldn’t of done that.