Teaching Happiness

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Next »

Chapter 5

I hear a knock on my door. “Katie. You need to get up.” I roll over and look at the clock. 7:50! I throw the sheets back and jump out of bed. Opening my closet I grab the first clothes I see and put them on quickly. I run a brush through my hair and choose to forget makeup today. I grab my backpack and sprint towards the door.
“By the way Katie, Dad took your car this morning so you have to walk.” I glare at my mom. Surely that would have been nice information to know before now. I run outside and it’s raining. I think of how miserable the twenty block walk to school will be. How could this day get any worse?
I’m about a block away from my house when a car pulls up next to me. At first, I think the worst and try to decide how to best defend myself. But when the driver rolls down the window, I recognize him.
“Need a ride?” Ryan smiles. I nod. “Come on.” I run around the front of the car and get inside. “Did you not realize that it’s raining?”
“Er, not until I was already outside.”
“And what’s with you and running places? I thought you told me that you had a car.” The thought of my car made me silently curse my parents.
“Apparently my dad took it this morning. And I woke up late so running was my only option.” He laughed.
“I guess it’s a good thing that I drove this way this morning isn’t it?”
“Yeah I guess so.” I look down at my hands and take deep breaths. I am in Ryan’s car. The car I’m in is Ryan’s. Oh gosh.
“So you usually drive then?”
“Everyday. Well, except for today.” He looked over at me and smiled.
“Are you cold? I have an extra jacket in the back seat if you want it.” I was about to refuse when I felt myself involuntarily shiver. He laughed and reached into the backseat to grab it, and handed it to me. I put it on backwards so that it covered my front. Another involuntary shiver went through my body as I slowly warmed up.
“Thanks. Seems like you just have a solution to every problem.” I laugh. “First, the whole walking me home to make sure I got there alright, then giving me a ride, and now your coat.”
“And it seems like you are just a very unprepared person.” I jokingly roll my eyes at him as he pulls into the student parking lot. As we approach the first empty spot I notice that Samantha is parked right next to it. Please not there, I think.
“Ugh not there,” Ryan says to my surprise as he bypasses the spot. I grin at him.
“Why not?”
“Samantha is parked right there. She seriously stalks me.”
Still smiling I say, “Wow. It seems like a lot of people at this school are pretty big Samantha fans. Why aren’t you?”
“Like I said, she stalks me. Plus, the fact that she’s crazy.” I just smile and look at the window as we pass her. Her face was a perfect Polaroid moment.
Ryan parks his car in the next empty spot a few down from the first. He gets out and waits for me as I pull my backpack out. Of course, it gets stuck so I’m forced to fiddle around with it to remove it. When I finally put it on, I walk over to Ryan.
“So thanks again for the ride. I really appreciate it.” We walk from the parking lot and into the school. When the hallway splits, I begin to walk toward my locker, and he starts to walk the opposite way.
“Wait. Where are you going? English is this way.”
“To my locker. I need to get my book.” He shrugs and starts to walk in the direction of my locker. I grin and walk with him. When we reach it, I open it and take out my book.
“Looks like you’re prepared for something at least,” he says. “What’s this?” He reaches up to the top shelf and takes down the magnetic whiteboard my mom had given me the first day of school. It was still in it’s packaging.
“That was my first day of school present from my mom.”
He turned it around in his hands. “Can I open it?” I shrugged and then nodded. He tore off the wrapping and uncapped the marker. He glanced over at me, smiled, and wrote on the board. Quickly, he placed it inside my locker and shut it.
I raised my eyebrows at him. “What did you write on that?”
“You’ll see next time you open your locker,” he smiled. “Let’s go to class. There’s no better way to start off a day than Shakespeare.” I smile slightly, shake my head, and walk off to class with Ryan by my side.

After the bell rings for my final class to end, I walk to my locker anxious to see what Ryan wrote. I fumble with my combination but eventually get it right. There in large block print is a phone number. Below it is the note

This is for the next time you need a ride

I quickly put his number into my phone and gleefully shut my locker. I can’t stop smiling the entire walk home.

sammielovesyou said...
May 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm:
there needs to be more

killjoy1011 replied...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:36 am :
\I wanna know how he tries to appoligize to her soooo bad if she evan lets him ....dont you ??!!

FallenAngel1 said...
May 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm:
This is good so far. How could you post more on a story after you have already posted it before?

Alayna T. said...
Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:43 am:

Wow..

this is really good ..i so far love it.. and really want to continue but theres nothing else to read :/ 

;D

Kayly replied...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm :
Thanks! I'm writing some more right now I just want to write a little more before I post it