Teaching Happiness

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Next »

Chapter 5

I hear a knock on my door. “Katie. You need to get up.” I roll over and look at the clock. 7:50! I throw the sheets back and jump out of bed. Opening my closet I grab the first clothes I see and put them on quickly. I run a brush through my hair and choose to forget makeup today. I grab my backpack and sprint towards the door.
“By the way Katie, Dad took your car this morning so you have to walk.” I glare at my mom. Surely that would have been nice information to know before now. I run outside and it’s raining. I think of how miserable the twenty block walk to school will be. How could this day get any worse?
I’m about a block away from my house when a car pulls up next to me. At first, I think the worst and try to decide how to best defend myself. But when the driver rolls down the window, I recognize him.
“Need a ride?” Ryan smiles. I nod. “Come on.” I run around the front of the car and get inside. “Did you not realize that it’s raining?”
“Er, not until I was already outside.”
“And what’s with you and running places? I thought you told me that you had a car.” The thought of my car made me silently curse my parents.
“Apparently my dad took it this morning. And I woke up late so running was my only option.” He laughed.
“I guess it’s a good thing that I drove this way this morning isn’t it?”
“Yeah I guess so.” I look down at my hands and take deep breaths. I am in Ryan’s car. The car I’m in is Ryan’s. Oh gosh.
“So you usually drive then?”
“Everyday. Well, except for today.” He looked over at me and smiled.
“Are you cold? I have an extra jacket in the back seat if you want it.” I was about to refuse when I felt myself involuntarily shiver. He laughed and reached into the backseat to grab it, and handed it to me. I put it on backwards so that it covered my front. Another involuntary shiver went through my body as I slowly warmed up.
“Thanks. Seems like you just have a solution to every problem.” I laugh. “First, the whole walking me home to make sure I got there alright, then giving me a ride, and now your coat.”
“And it seems like you are just a very unprepared person.” I jokingly roll my eyes at him as he pulls into the student parking lot. As we approach the first empty spot I notice that Samantha is parked right next to it. Please not there, I think.
“Ugh not there,” Ryan says to my surprise as he bypasses the spot. I grin at him.
“Why not?”
“Samantha is parked right there. She seriously stalks me.”
Still smiling I say, “Wow. It seems like a lot of people at this school are pretty big Samantha fans. Why aren’t you?”
“Like I said, she stalks me. Plus, the fact that she’s crazy.” I just smile and look at the window as we pass her. Her face was a perfect Polaroid moment.
Ryan parks his car in the next empty spot a few down from the first. He gets out and waits for me as I pull my backpack out. Of course, it gets stuck so I’m forced to fiddle around with it to remove it. When I finally put it on, I walk over to Ryan.
“So thanks again for the ride. I really appreciate it.” We walk from the parking lot and into the school. When the hallway splits, I begin to walk toward my locker, and he starts to walk the opposite way.
“Wait. Where are you going? English is this way.”
“To my locker. I need to get my book.” He shrugs and starts to walk in the direction of my locker. I grin and walk with him. When we reach it, I open it and take out my book.
“Looks like you’re prepared for something at least,” he says. “What’s this?” He reaches up to the top shelf and takes down the magnetic whiteboard my mom had given me the first day of school. It was still in it’s packaging.
“That was my first day of school present from my mom.”
He turned it around in his hands. “Can I open it?” I shrugged and then nodded. He tore off the wrapping and uncapped the marker. He glanced over at me, smiled, and wrote on the board. Quickly, he placed it inside my locker and shut it.
I raised my eyebrows at him. “What did you write on that?”
“You’ll see next time you open your locker,” he smiled. “Let’s go to class. There’s no better way to start off a day than Shakespeare.” I smile slightly, shake my head, and walk off to class with Ryan by my side.

After the bell rings for my final class to end, I walk to my locker anxious to see what Ryan wrote. I fumble with my combination but eventually get it right. There in large block print is a phone number. Below it is the note

This is for the next time you need a ride

I quickly put his number into my phone and gleefully shut my locker. I can’t stop smiling the entire walk home.

KiraVogt2896 said...
Your such a good writter! I loved this book all the way through! Good job! Keep on writting! :) <3

RaisaMiri said...
Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm:
This was such a heartwrenching story!  All I could think while reading this was if he's with another girl I will cry! and I almost did when that happened! but the ending was beautiful when it all worked out <3 great job!

Vanner96 said...
Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:56 am:
This was good! I was trying to figure out how he can be innocent and then BAM! LOL Good job! :)

nemish23 said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm:

love it! love it! love it!

it's so true and heartwarming- it's a beautiful story.

WishDreamBelieve said...
the summary has already got me intrested

Mermaidmissy said...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:49 am:
Ahh, your story is very good and so powerful, I hope you keep on writing some more pages soon. Can you take a look at some of my poems and book please. Thank You! :)

misteriousgirl said...
hey thats a realy good story i have read it 4 times:):):)

kitkatalase This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 4:51 am:
is this it or are you gonna write more!? you gotta keep going!!:)

Jeera said...
Oh my gosh, this is amazing! You should finish it! I really want to read the rest.

killjoy1011 said...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:34 am:
i loved loved loved you story i read the whole thing in one sitting i did not expect that to happen at all it kinda dissapionted me but i need you to finish i wanna know what happens next in class with them!!!!!

Kayly said...
Wow thanks everyone! I'm working on writing more I just have some writers block right now. But I'm planning on putting up a few more chapters by the end of this week :)

julialove94 said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 8:47 am:
Okay, just finished it ahaha. I'm not disappointed with the way it ended, however, it should continue! It's so freakin amazing! It needs to be published. This is definitly one of those stories that should NEVER be over looked!

julialove94 said...
I'm afraid to read anyone's comment for accidently spoilers, so I won't until I finish all the chapters you have up haha. But I just finished the first chapter and I could totally picture that being the first chapter to a totally amazing published book. So as I continue to read, I hope you continue to write, if it's not already finished, because so far, I absolutely love it :)

teenagedream said...
If you do write more pleezz tell when there will be more

LilLover5-15 said...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 1:55 am:
plz finish it and she should totally punch him, just saying! :D

fall is near replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm :
thats exactly what in was thinking!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm:
Please write more. This is soooo cute, i was very sad when she told Ryan about how her sister died. Keep it up, this is very good and very emotional. GREAT JOB!!! :-) :-)

BlackRose55 said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm:
Yes! Please,please be more to it, I don't think it should end there, there HAS to be more to it!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm:
You should really write more. Writing takes time but it would be worth it for people to read great stories like this one. Plaese write more.

Angie_101 said...
May 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm:
OMqq...i really wanna kno wht he wrote on thing....please write more soon.love yuhr story:)