Teaching Happiness

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 Next »

Chapter 4

Do the clouds always move against each other? I’m laying in the grass on the side of my house. Next to me is the ladder I was planning on using to climb up to my spot on the roof, but after deciding that it would take too much effort, I forfeited the idea. Instead, I resolved to lie in the grass and study the shapes in the sky. So far I haven’t found any, but I don’t have anything better to do.
The rest of my school day had past uneventfully except for the fire alarm during fourth period. Turns out some kids were attempting to smoke in the bathroom. They were obviously caught and everyone watched in earnest as they were taken away by the school police officer and charged with possession of illegal substances. After that incident though, my day past slowly. Government, Spanish and Physics all seemed never-ending. After English this morning, I didn’t see Ryan again which saddened me although I was trying to force myself not to care.
I close my eyes and feel the sun on my face. Soon after though, I feel the sun disappear behind a cloud and I realize how cold it is. I shiver, look at my phone, and stand up. Once I walk into the house I put my phone down on the table, and place my ellowbows on it and rub my eyes. The table is shaking. I pull my hands away from my face and look around. Nothing else is though. Then I hear a thud as my phone falls onto the floor in mid vibrate. I see the picture of my best friend, Aly, flashing. Quickly, I reach down and answer her call.
“Katie! How are you? I’ve barely heard anything from you in days.” Aly’s voice was a mixture of concern and displeasure.
“Hey Al. Sorry I’ve been kind of, well, distracted. Other than that I’m okay. Mainly I’m just lonely. Virginia is awful,” I pause. “Well for the most part.”
“For the most part? What isn’t horrible there then?” I explain to her about Ryan and tell a summarized version of our meeting. I barely finish when she laughs.
“He found you when you were sleeping by a pond and probably looked half deranged?” I could tell she was smiling. “Well Katie, that is an interesting meeting. Some first impression you made.”
“If I would have known that two guys my age were going to be there the next morning I wouldn’t have gone there.”
“Still having issues? With your parents or what?”
“Yeah but it’s not just my mom and dad. Like I said Virginia is lonely.”
“Didn’t you have friends when you lived there before? I mean, what are they like now?”
“Different. The girl who used to be my best friend in elementary school, Natalie, now follows every move of Samantha Newark. And the others have either moved away, changed schools, or have become drastically different people.” I think about Spencer Herald. The boy I was in love with when I was younger. He was one of the boys trying to smoke drugs in the bathroom today. Now he wears pants that sag down to practically his knees and has multiple piercings as well as a tattoo.
“Okay so what about this Ryan?”
“It’s weird. Neither of us remembers ever knowing each other before. He seems nice enough but today it seemed like Samantha liked him. So who knows.”
“I guess you’re right. But just try to get through this year and before you know it we will be roommates at East Washington University!” Aly squealed with excitement. I had almost forgotten about EWU. That would be something to take my mind off things. I will focus on making this year go by quickly and moving out into the real world.

This book has 25 comments. Post your own now!

sammielovesyou said...
there needs to be more

killjoy1011 replied...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:36 am
\I wanna know how he tries to appoligize to her soooo bad if she evan lets him ....dont you ??!!

FallenAngel1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is good so far. How could you post more on a story after you have already posted it before?

Alayna T. said...
Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:43 am

Wow..

this is really good ..i so far love it.. and really want to continue but theres nothing else to read :/ 

;D

Kayly replied...
Thanks! I'm writing some more right now I just want to write a little more before I post it