Teaching Happiness

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 Next »

Chapter 4

Do the clouds always move against each other? I’m laying in the grass on the side of my house. Next to me is the ladder I was planning on using to climb up to my spot on the roof, but after deciding that it would take too much effort, I forfeited the idea. Instead, I resolved to lie in the grass and study the shapes in the sky. So far I haven’t found any, but I don’t have anything better to do.
The rest of my school day had past uneventfully except for the fire alarm during fourth period. Turns out some kids were attempting to smoke in the bathroom. They were obviously caught and everyone watched in earnest as they were taken away by the school police officer and charged with possession of illegal substances. After that incident though, my day past slowly. Government, Spanish and Physics all seemed never-ending. After English this morning, I didn’t see Ryan again which saddened me although I was trying to force myself not to care.
I close my eyes and feel the sun on my face. Soon after though, I feel the sun disappear behind a cloud and I realize how cold it is. I shiver, look at my phone, and stand up. Once I walk into the house I put my phone down on the table, and place my ellowbows on it and rub my eyes. The table is shaking. I pull my hands away from my face and look around. Nothing else is though. Then I hear a thud as my phone falls onto the floor in mid vibrate. I see the picture of my best friend, Aly, flashing. Quickly, I reach down and answer her call.
“Katie! How are you? I’ve barely heard anything from you in days.” Aly’s voice was a mixture of concern and displeasure.
“Hey Al. Sorry I’ve been kind of, well, distracted. Other than that I’m okay. Mainly I’m just lonely. Virginia is awful,” I pause. “Well for the most part.”
“For the most part? What isn’t horrible there then?” I explain to her about Ryan and tell a summarized version of our meeting. I barely finish when she laughs.
“He found you when you were sleeping by a pond and probably looked half deranged?” I could tell she was smiling. “Well Katie, that is an interesting meeting. Some first impression you made.”
“If I would have known that two guys my age were going to be there the next morning I wouldn’t have gone there.”
“Still having issues? With your parents or what?”
“Yeah but it’s not just my mom and dad. Like I said Virginia is lonely.”
“Didn’t you have friends when you lived there before? I mean, what are they like now?”
“Different. The girl who used to be my best friend in elementary school, Natalie, now follows every move of Samantha Newark. And the others have either moved away, changed schools, or have become drastically different people.” I think about Spencer Herald. The boy I was in love with when I was younger. He was one of the boys trying to smoke drugs in the bathroom today. Now he wears pants that sag down to practically his knees and has multiple piercings as well as a tattoo.
“Okay so what about this Ryan?”
“It’s weird. Neither of us remembers ever knowing each other before. He seems nice enough but today it seemed like Samantha liked him. So who knows.”
“I guess you’re right. But just try to get through this year and before you know it we will be roommates at East Washington University!” Aly squealed with excitement. I had almost forgotten about EWU. That would be something to take my mind off things. I will focus on making this year go by quickly and moving out into the real world.

KiraVogt2896 said...
Your such a good writter! I loved this book all the way through! Good job! Keep on writting! :) <3

RaisaMiri said...
Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm:
This was such a heartwrenching story!  All I could think while reading this was if he's with another girl I will cry! and I almost did when that happened! but the ending was beautiful when it all worked out <3 great job!

Vanner96 said...
Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:56 am:
This was good! I was trying to figure out how he can be innocent and then BAM! LOL Good job! :)

nemish23 said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm:

love it! love it! love it!

it's so true and heartwarming- it's a beautiful story.

WishDreamBelieve said...
the summary has already got me intrested

Mermaidmissy said...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:49 am:
Ahh, your story is very good and so powerful, I hope you keep on writing some more pages soon. Can you take a look at some of my poems and book please. Thank You! :)

misteriousgirl said...
hey thats a realy good story i have read it 4 times:):):)

kitkatalase This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 4:51 am:
is this it or are you gonna write more!? you gotta keep going!!:)

Jeera said...
Oh my gosh, this is amazing! You should finish it! I really want to read the rest.

killjoy1011 said...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:34 am:
i loved loved loved you story i read the whole thing in one sitting i did not expect that to happen at all it kinda dissapionted me but i need you to finish i wanna know what happens next in class with them!!!!!

Kayly said...
Wow thanks everyone! I'm working on writing more I just have some writers block right now. But I'm planning on putting up a few more chapters by the end of this week :)

julialove94 said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 8:47 am:
Okay, just finished it ahaha. I'm not disappointed with the way it ended, however, it should continue! It's so freakin amazing! It needs to be published. This is definitly one of those stories that should NEVER be over looked!

julialove94 said...
I'm afraid to read anyone's comment for accidently spoilers, so I won't until I finish all the chapters you have up haha. But I just finished the first chapter and I could totally picture that being the first chapter to a totally amazing published book. So as I continue to read, I hope you continue to write, if it's not already finished, because so far, I absolutely love it :)

teenagedream said...
If you do write more pleezz tell when there will be more

LilLover5-15 said...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 1:55 am:
plz finish it and she should totally punch him, just saying! :D

fall is near replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm :
thats exactly what in was thinking!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm:
Please write more. This is soooo cute, i was very sad when she told Ryan about how her sister died. Keep it up, this is very good and very emotional. GREAT JOB!!! :-) :-)

BlackRose55 said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm:
Yes! Please,please be more to it, I don't think it should end there, there HAS to be more to it!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm:
You should really write more. Writing takes time but it would be worth it for people to read great stories like this one. Plaese write more.

Angie_101 said...
May 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm:
OMqq...i really wanna kno wht he wrote on thing....please write more soon.love yuhr story:)