Teaching Happiness

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next »

Chapter 2

Once I could think straight, I walked though the hallway and into the kitchen. Sitting at the table was my mother, eyebrows furled, and arms crossed.
“Kathleen Hayes. Where have you been?” She gave me the ‘look’. The one that only moms can pull off. The one that means you cannot end this conversation until you explain yourself.
“At the pond.”
“The pond in the woods? By yourself? That’s very dangerous. You should understand that.” Slowly my reasons for running there in the first place began to return. I decided that I needed to end this conversation as soon as possible and that lying would not help me do that.
“It’s fine, I’m fine, that’s all that matters. Okay.”
“Katie, the way you have been acting lately is so, so unlike you.”
“I know, I know but I have a feeling that things will be getting better soon.”
“I hope so. Why don’t you think about how to make those changes happen while you clean yourself up. You smell awful.”
“Okay mom. Will do.” I turned around and walked through the rest of the house into my bedroom. I felt like my entire world had changed since the last time I had been in here. I turned on the shower and got I letting the pond water run off of me. I tried to think about all that had happened that day but my thoughts kept returning to Ryan smiling. The entire rest of the night, through dinner and my homework, all I could think about was how Ryan walked me home, and hoped to see me at school. Just everything. I could feel all of predetermined judgments of our return back to Virginia melting away. And for once, the idea of going to school on Monday, just two days away, excited me.
The following day, I busied myself to keep the day from dragging on, which it did anyway. When I had done everything that I could possibly think to do, I took my physics book and went to read on the roof. There was a part of our roof that was flat which slanted upwards from all sides. My brother and I occasionally went up there to talk and study. Determined to pass more of the day I focus on the words in the textbook. But my mind kept returning to who I would be seeing at school tomorrow. Part of me understood that excitement would, in the end, only hurt me more. However, the other part won and I allowed myself to be excited anyway.
The next thing that I knew, the sun was setting and my brother was climbing up next to me.
“Did you know that you have been up here for about,” he looked at his phone, “six hours?” Austin was two years younger than me, but we had a very close relationship. Unlike other brothers and sisters that I know, we rarely ever fight. I could tell him anything and he told me everything.
“Great. Well, I must have just lost track of time.” I started to prepare for the climb back down when Austin grabbed my arm.
“So what happened yesterday? You left unhappy and came back with the attitude that everything was going to work out.” I looked down and focused on the grainy look of the shingles.
“Nothing happened.” I looked up at Austin who raised his eyebrows. “Okay, well I felt like I needed to get away, so I started running and……” I proceeded to retell the story of my run and meeting Ryan. When I finished Austin was silent.
After a few minutes, he said “So did you go swimming?” He laughed.
“Is that really all that you got out of that story?”
“Sorry, so you met this guy Ryan. Ryan McNabb?”
“I don’t know what his last name is. He never said.” Austin looked at his phone.
“Mom’s calling me. We should probably get down.” I led the way from the roof and back onto our porch, where once again my mother was waiting. After scolding us, we ate dinner and I promptly went off to bed. As I fell asleep, I relived my running. It was almost as though I could feel the wind blowing back my hair once again. And suddenly, there I was, dreaming, but running into Ryan’s arms.

KiraVogt2896 said...
Your such a good writter! I loved this book all the way through! Good job! Keep on writting! :) <3

RaisaMiri said...
Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm:
This was such a heartwrenching story!  All I could think while reading this was if he's with another girl I will cry! and I almost did when that happened! but the ending was beautiful when it all worked out <3 great job!

Vanner96 said...
Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:56 am:
This was good! I was trying to figure out how he can be innocent and then BAM! LOL Good job! :)

nemish23 said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm:

love it! love it! love it!

it's so true and heartwarming- it's a beautiful story.

WishDreamBelieve said...
the summary has already got me intrested

Mermaidmissy said...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:49 am:
Ahh, your story is very good and so powerful, I hope you keep on writing some more pages soon. Can you take a look at some of my poems and book please. Thank You! :)

misteriousgirl said...
hey thats a realy good story i have read it 4 times:):):)

kitkatalase This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 4:51 am:
is this it or are you gonna write more!? you gotta keep going!!:)

Jeera said...
Oh my gosh, this is amazing! You should finish it! I really want to read the rest.

killjoy1011 said...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 12:34 am:
i loved loved loved you story i read the whole thing in one sitting i did not expect that to happen at all it kinda dissapionted me but i need you to finish i wanna know what happens next in class with them!!!!!

Kayly said...
Wow thanks everyone! I'm working on writing more I just have some writers block right now. But I'm planning on putting up a few more chapters by the end of this week :)

julialove94 said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 8:47 am:
Okay, just finished it ahaha. I'm not disappointed with the way it ended, however, it should continue! It's so freakin amazing! It needs to be published. This is definitly one of those stories that should NEVER be over looked!

julialove94 said...
I'm afraid to read anyone's comment for accidently spoilers, so I won't until I finish all the chapters you have up haha. But I just finished the first chapter and I could totally picture that being the first chapter to a totally amazing published book. So as I continue to read, I hope you continue to write, if it's not already finished, because so far, I absolutely love it :)

teenagedream said...
If you do write more pleezz tell when there will be more

LilLover5-15 said...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 1:55 am:
plz finish it and she should totally punch him, just saying! :D

fall is near replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm :
thats exactly what in was thinking!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm:
Please write more. This is soooo cute, i was very sad when she told Ryan about how her sister died. Keep it up, this is very good and very emotional. GREAT JOB!!! :-) :-)

BlackRose55This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm:
Yes! Please,please be more to it, I don't think it should end there, there HAS to be more to it!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm:
You should really write more. Writing takes time but it would be worth it for people to read great stories like this one. Plaese write more.

Angie_101 said...
May 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm:
OMqq...i really wanna kno wht he wrote on thing....please write more soon.love yuhr story:)