The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

A New Beginning

The day started out like any other. I woke up with the sun shining down over my head. As I stretched I rolled over on my belly to look out my window that overlooked the backyard. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in sight.
I got up and got dressed for the first day of summer. This is going to be the best summer of my life.
Shelly, my best friend, came over around 3 to pick me up so we could go to the mall and get new bathing suits. I got in her car as a song blaring full blast wound down to the end.
“So, tonight there is a party over at Dylan’s house” Shelly told me.
“Were we even invited?” I asked skeptical.
“Not technically, but do you think that anyone is ever invited?”
“Yea, I actually do. You know most people aren’t outcasts like us. They actually get invited to parties. It’s like a code or something.” I said as I looked over at her.
“Macy, If we don’t go to the first party of the summer people are going to peg us as losers for our senior year. Not that we aren’t already. Live a little, please?” Shelly begged from me.
“Fine, but if it gets uncomfortable, I’m leaving. No buts. Deal?” I said firmly.
“Alright. Deal.” She said as she turned up the radio and began singing along to some Carrie Underwood.
We got to the mall and Shelly and I began looking at cute skirts and wedges. We both bought a cute party outfit for tonight as well as some extremely cute bathing suits. My bathing suit has ruffles on the edges and is a soft pink color. Shelly’s bathing suit is platinum blue with green stripes down it.
As we got back to my house, Shelly told me she would be back to get me around 10 tonight. As much as I’d like to deny it, I was pretty excited. I mean, for once I would be able to socialize like a normal person.
Me and Shelly were not sent to social exile by fault. We chose to spend time studying for quizzes on the weekend when normal teens were out drinking. Which in fact pegged us as the academic nerds. Were not ugly. I mean, both of us have average weight . But not like those other girls who choose not to eat and become twigs. We’re normal.
I have really long brown hair accumulated after I went on this strike after my mom cut my hair in a bob in freshman year. As it turns out, it’s pretty wavy. Shelly is a natural blond that is cut at shoulder length. Her mom takes her to the Salon so she never had to go through the traumatic stages of puberty the way I did.
Shelly has always worn make-up but I don’t see the reason to put any on. I only wear make-up on special occasions or if I’m really trying to impress someone.
I’ve been asked out a few times but me and Shelly just tend to keep to our studies. “If you ever want to get into Brown you need to be prepared.” Shelly would always tell me after I would start complaining about prepping for the SAT s.
This summer though, after we finally realized that we are practically graduated we’d both decided that we would become more socially active. Or in Shelly’s case, Get drunk and for once not care about school or any of the other pressures that had been laid out for us.
Shelly arrived over my house around 10:30. I walked downstairs and past the living room where my mom and dad were watching a show on TV.
“Where are you going?” My mom turned from the TV screen and looked at me.
“Me and Shelly are going to go to the movies and then I’m going to stay the night at her house.” As I told her the first thing that had popped into my head.
“Why are you dressed like that? I don’t want you out traipsing downtown at the theater wearing clothes like that.” She scorned.
As she said that my dad then looked over at me.
“Mom please, I just thought for once I would care what my appearance looked like. It’s not a big deal.” I said.
After a few moments passed she finally said “Alright, but don’t forget your mace. You can never be too safe at night.” She said as she looked at me carefully, like she could see right through my lies. But when I thought she was going to send me back to my room to change, her and my dad both turned their attention back to the screen.
I slipped out the door and climbed in the front seat of Shelly's car.
“Gosh, I thought you were going to take forever.” She playfully laughed.
“Sorry, my mom decided that tonight she would pay attention to me or what I wore. I’m good now though. She just told me to bring my mace.” I said back.
“Nice, did she use the whole ‘You can never be too safe’ line on you?” She asked teasingly.
“Funny, but she actually did.” I laughed.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

This book has 89 comments. Post your own now!

vanessasandra said...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 8:42 am
it was good, not something i would really remember though. but good job :) :) i really liked mike.

C.N.Red said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 10:31 am
I really liked this novel. There were a few errors, but I bet if you edited and tweaked it a little, it'd be great! You should write more!!!

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:59 am
I love it! I just posted two books called nightstalker and the beast! if any of u read it make sure u post a comment saying if u liked it or not or if i should change anything. Thanks!

Slugger20 said...
The moral in this story is amazing! its great! don't worry if ppl say tht ther is to much drinking, smoking, or partying... you did what you had to do to get your point across and its a WONDERFUL story!!!

Sk8erGirl said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 9:50 am
That was a great story! I love the moral i in it. Keep writing! :D

billgamesh11 said...
it was an okay story except it had a lot of drinking and smoking and smoking pot which in my opinion was not fun to read about, not interesting at all, but the story itself was so good that i didn't stop reading it even though it had thise things in it. Also, next time you post a story, have someone edit it so it is easier for the reader to read your story. But over all, good job:)

Angie_101 said...
May 28, 2011 at 10:28 am
AWEWUM STORY...I LOVE ITTTT<3

writergurl12345 said...
May 26, 2011 at 5:37 am
Hey. So I liked this. I had a few qualms while reading it, because some of the writing needs some cleaning up, and I think you can expand on the storyline a little bit. The idea (falling in love with a boy over the summer, going to parties, getting drunk), it's been a little bit overdone. However, that's not to say that yours isn't original. I kind of like that you made the character really eccentric, and some of the lines you used are soooo adorable! I think you could really go somewhere with t... (more »)

missemluv<3 said...
This is awesome!!!! I love it!!!! :)

PurpleWriter said...
May 8, 2011 at 9:32 am
This book rules! Hey, do you think you could check out my book? It's called The Searcher's Allies. Go to fiction novels and click on most recent.

I_Love_Books said...
s it that good writers have annoymuous usernames xD

I_Love_Books replied...

oops I mean

-Why is it that the REALLY GOOD wirters have annoyumous user names xD

PrincessSparkle replied...
I used an annonymous name at first because I was really scared that nobody would like my book. But now, I dont care if people like it or not. As long as it sounds good to me. 

sammielovesyou said...
This is REALLY GOOD ! LIKE AMAZIING !!!!!!! ((((((:

ThisIsRivera said...
If it happens

Rolandddd said...
That was a very nice novel. You are very talented at your writing:) Keep it up:) You will get very far in life with your writing skills:)

sfoxxy96 said...
that was absolutely awesome!! youre a great writer. keep it up:)

PrincessSparkle replied...
Thanks. Im working on a new book called Under the Summer Sky about a girl who falls in love with another girl. I think you might like it.

ThisIsRivera said...
Let me start by saying i really enjoy this im not done yet though :) I really liked the summary i found it really inviting but chapter one made me kind of loose intrest but i kept reading and i definetly think it got a bit better keep writing you re really good!!!!!check out my book so far and tell me if you like it at all :)

PrincessSparkle replied...
Okay I will, what's the name of your book?