The Shadow Keeper (A Land of Shadows Novel) | Teen Ink

The Shadow Keeper (A Land of Shadows Novel)

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Summary:

When the latest technology in gaming is launched, that of which had only been heard of in science fiction novels before, gamers from all over are jumping at the chance to play.  Maybe those novels telling of players being trapped that had become somewhat cliche were something of a warning as most science fiction is meant to be.

Land of Shadows was the first virtual reality massive multiplayer roleplaying game released to the public, and Towa VRGames, its creator, was thrilled to have so many people lined up to play the game.  After allowing 10,000 beta testers to test the game, it was ready for action and released, but soon after... everything went wrong.

Beta tester Taro Kagemune was no ordinary player.  Besides being a beta tester, she was the head of her large family and a company spanning more industries than most could ever think of doing successfully.  After graduating university in her mid teens and medical school at around twenty, she was ready for a bit of experimentation to spread her family business into the gaming industry, and what better way than to start with the cutting edge?  

She took the dive with the oldest of her two younger brothers, followed by much of her family, on that fateful day.  What happened would make her wonder if she was really as great as she was made out to be.  Can she keep going the way she had been without any help?

Taro has lived as a shadow for most of her life because she was taught that friends were of little worth a shadow was the most loyal friend, but what is a shadow without a light?  Can she find a light to shadow or will the shadow fall to ruin and meld into the darkness in a land where shadows are the only tangable objects?

.