A Thousand Miles | Teen Ink

A Thousand Miles

By ShannonLil99 GOLD, Ongar, Other
ShannonLil99 GOLD, Ongar, Other

'Why should I care what other people think of me? I am who I am. And who I wanna be.'

- Avril Lavigne

Author's note: I love writing. I always have. It's always the supernatural; you can find boring old humans anywhere, can't you? Still vampires have been done, werewolves have been done, even ghosts have been done. I want to write something different, and so here it is...

Prologue

Who knew that my first real memory would be of a boy? I can see him as clear as day in my mind still – a soft, sweet-scented boy. He had soft, pale blonde hair and was probably about 6ft 4inches with vivid blue eyes. I don’t know who he is, or even why he is. He just is. Or was. Or imagined, now that I consider it. Even though I had the dream years ago, I can still see every single detail as perfect as the lines on the palms of my hands.

I use that example for a reason. Before my mother died, she read palms. I know people’s palms better than I know maths or science – probably because I have no reason or logic. Basically there are 4 main lines – the heart line, the head line, the life line and the fate line (although not everybody has this).

The heart line is the deep horizontal line at the top of your palm and it indicates emotional stability, romantic perspectives, depression and cardiac health. Mine begins below the index finger which shows that I’m unhappy with love life; I have only had one silly boyfriend in my entire life and he doesn’t exactly count. If it begins, however, below the middle finger it shows that you’re selfish when it comes to love – a trait I’m proud to not share. If it begins in the middle of these two fingers, you fall in love easily. Mine is long and curvy which shows that I freely express feelings and emotions although a lot of my friends have a straight and short line so they have less interest in romance. If it touches the life line (the vertical line) it shows that you have your heart broken easily. On the other hand, if it is straight and parallel to the head line you have a good handle on emotions. If it’s wavy you are bound to have many relationships and lovers – be sure not to get wavy and curvy confused. If there is a circle on the line it shows depression. A broken line or lots of smaller lines (which I have) shows emotional trauma.

The head line is the other vertical line, and it’s below the head line. It represents learning style, communication style, intellectualism and thirst for knowledge. My curved line is associated with creativity and spontaneity but a straight line is linked with practicality and a structured approach. If it’s short, you prefer physical achievements than mental ones. If it’s separated from the life line it shows adventure and enthusiasm for life. My deep, long line shows thinking is clear and focuses; which it is, most of the time. A broken head line shows inconsistencies in thought and multiple crosses through the head line shows momentous decisions. The life line begins near the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. It reflects physical health, general well being and major life changes. If your line runs close to your thumb you are often tired, if it’s curvy (like mine) you have plenty of energy. Long and deep life lines – like mine – are associated with vitality. On the other hand, if the line is short and shallow you are manipulated by others. Mine swoops around in a semi-circle which shows strength and enthusiasm. If your line is straight and close to the edge of your palm, you are cautious when it comes to relationships. Multiple life lines - extra vitality. Circle in line indicates - hospitalized or injured. Break - sudden change in lifestyle.

The fate line is also known as the line of destiny, and it indicates to what degree a person’s life is affected by external circumstances beyond their control. The line begins at the bottom of the palm (if you have one) and mine is deep so I am strongly controlled by fate. If there are breaks and changes of direction you are prone to many changes in life from external forces. If it starts joined to the life line you’re a self-made individual with aspirations early on. If it joins with the life line somewhere in the middle, it signifies a point at which your interests must be surrendered to those of others. Lastly, if it starts at the base of the thumb and crosses the life line support is offered by family and friends; mine doesn’t.

In addition to the 4 major lines there a several other lines which I look at: the travel line, the marriage line, the money line, the fame line and the health line. The health line can be found extending from below the little finger, down across the palm, to the base of the palm. The lack of this line indicates that you will have few, or perhaps even no, health problems. A strong and undisturbed health line shows strong business sense as well as the strength to work hard and make money. If it’s wavy there are potential problems as a result of anxiety and nervousness. If it’s broken, poor health will cause problems in business situations. Smaller lines crossing the health line indicates that you are prone to accidents. Extra line branches onto the life line – a sign of a life-threatening situation in old age.
The fame line reinforces the fate line. The fame line influences the social rewards of success. This line, if visible, starts at the base of the hand and moves its way up to the ring finger. If it’s missing you may still be successful but prefer to do without public acclaim. If it’s strong and clear there is distinction and satisfaction with your life’s work and being broken repeatedly is an indication of the ups and downs of social recognition. If it travels straight to the ring finer you are likely to have fame in the arts, if it ends beneath the ring finger in a star or a triangle, spectacular success awaits you in the fine arts field (singing, dancing, and acting).

Now my marriage line particularly disturbs me – you’ll see why in a second. Relationships are indicated by the little lines that are located just below the base of the little finger. The closer the lines are to the base of the finger, the later in life these relationships will me. If your marriage line is like mine and its cuts off sharply, it signifies the end of a relationship due to death or divorce. If there are just several light lines – romance, if there are strong and clear lines – marriage. If there are numerous overlapping lines – affairs. Lines that meet but don’t cross shows children that will be born. If a break resumes with an overlap there will be a separation and a later reunion.

The money line does not directly indicate you accessing material wealth; it represents your skill in acquiring riches. If the line goes from the base of the thumb to the little finger you will acquire wealth through inheritance. If the line goes from the base of the thumb to below the middle finger, it shows money made in business. If the line runs to the ring finger and cuts through the fame line, you will obtain money from luck and surprise. Travel lines are a major indication of the trips taken throughout your life that have either had, or will have, an impact on your life. If the travel line intersects the life line a trip will be made under circumstances of health or a trip will affect your health. Breaks show a possible delay in your travels. If they intersect the fate line it shows a life-changing experience.

Don’t believe me? You should.

Present Day

I practically fall out of bed as I scramble to reach my alarm clock. Instead of feeling my alarm clock, I just felt air. As my eyes adjust to the darkness I realise I’m in some sort of cell, with some sort of drink next to me. I try to say something – anything – but all that comes out is an inaudible croak. How did I get here? Why am I here? I pulled the drink close to me and, after taking a conscientious look at it, I sipped from it. Cold and delicious; which I suppose is my kind of heaven. The lights turn on and they’re so bright that they almost blind me. Soon after I am adjusted to the light, I see a woman standing in the doorway.

She is pretty enough with soft, red hair that falls down her back. She has the bluest eyes I have ever seen- wait! She has the only blue eyes I have ever seen, doesn’t she? She has a nice smile and her body is small and slender. She walks towards me, still smiling, and looks at me but still keeping a wary distance. What would I do?

“What’s your name?’ She asks with her voice like velvet.
“I don’t know,’ I answer honestly.

“What about your age?’ She says, sounding slightly concerned.

“I don’t know,” I say again.

“This wasn’t supposed to happen,’ she said and for a moment I thought she was talking to me. She turned around and only then did I notice the man with the purple eyes shortly behind her.

“It should only be temporary; her brain cells should start repairing themselves soon enough.”

“Should?” The woman replied, starting to sound annoyed. “You said this wasn’t dangerous, that no harm would come to her if we decided to do this.”

“It’s not dangerous – she’s alive and healthy, and if a bit of brain damage is what is needed to keep her safe, then you’ll have to learn to live with it.”

“Magnus, the poor girl doesn’t even know her name.”

“Excuse me,’ I pipe in as the two of them look at me, “do you know my name?’ In response to that they just looked at each other. I thought that all I was going to hear was silence when the man – Magnus – said quietly, “yes”, and then left.

“Don’t worry about him,’ the woman told me, in a hushed mothering way.

“Where am I?’

“Some safe place,’ she said vaguely.

“What’s my name?’ I asked, softly.

“You don’t need to know that yet, child,” she said as she sorted out the pillows on the bed. Without anything left to say, I sat there quietly, avoiding eye contact with the bewitching woman. “Please…” I practically beg, as a tear streams down my cheek, ‘I just want to know my name.” She looked at me for one long moment that seemed to last an eternity. She slowly walked towards me, and then sat down beside me. As she leant in, I thought she meant to warn me but instead she just whispered, “Cori”…

Cordelia is a Celtic name, which means 'of the sea'.

Cori! As soon as she said it, I knew it belonged to me. Finally I had something that I knew, something that was stable. That still didn’t explain very much but I finally felt something: hope. I can now let myself hope that I will soon know everything that there is to know as I have so many questions. Why am I here? Where is my family? How long have I been here? Most importantly – how long will I be here? I’ve only been conscious for a few days and this place gives me the creeps. It’s like I can sense something here, something dark and powerful.

I discussed this with the redhead whom I now know is called Janette. Over the past couple of days, we have become quite close. She’s like a mother but she’s not just that; she’s my entire family rolled into one. Still, sometimes it seems like she’s hiding something from me - something important. But what do I know? I’m just a girl because from what Janette tells me I am under 18 years old. As she comes in with today’s breakfast, I prepare my inquisition.

“Jan,” I said, with a mouth half-full of cornflakes.
“Yes?”
“I want to know. In fact it’s more than that; I need to know.”
“What do you need to know?”
“Everything – my age, my country, my family, my life…”
“I’m sorry, Cori, but that is classified information.”
“I’m sick of hearing it!” I cry, "you always tell me it’s classified but it’s my life and I deserve to know the truth. I mean, who put you up to lying? The man with the purple eyes? Or am I just dead and this is some kind of hell?”
“Quiet down, Magnus is trying to help you.”
“By lying to me?”
“He hasn’t lied about anything to you!”
“Well then he is keeping me in the dark and it’s just not fair. I mean, what about my memory loss? Why did he do that?”
“He didn’t do anything,’ she snarled, completely out of character, and at that point the cell door burst open.

It was a complete moment of chaos. Janette was thrown away from me. I heard gun shots and screaming, madness consuming absolutely everywhere. I was just completely lost in all of the confusion, completely absorbed in finding my beloved Janette. Amidst the confusion, a boy walked through the cell giving orders even though he seemed only to be a year or two older than me. He was surrounded by other men – fully-grown with muscles the size of bowling balls. One of them seizes me and carries me out of the dark and twisted building. I twist, and turn. I try to break free. Nothing works; I am no match for him.

“Please, calm down,’ said a voice from behind me/in front of the man carrying me. “Dom, could you please put her down?’ Once I was on the ground, I turned around and saw him – a soft, sweet-scented boy. He had soft, pale blonde hair and was probably about 6ft 4inches with vivid blue eyes. Suddenly every bad thought went away, I just completely relaxed. Until I remember Janette.
“What did you do?” I sobbed. “What have you done with Janette?”
“Janette?” He murmured, slightly confused. “Oh, you must mean the abominable redhead who was holding you captive.”
“What?” I asked, confused – they were the ones kidnapping me, from here anyway.
“I don’t have time for explanations, Cordelia, let’s go.”
“Cordelia?”
“It’s your name.”
“No, my name is Cori,” I said, hating that he thought he knew more about me than I did.
“Cori is short for Cordelia.” With that I realised that, Janette and Magnus were always the bad guys. They just did an astonishing job of pretending to be otherwise. They weren’t even going to tell me my full name or anything else.
“Why should I trust you? I don’t even know your name.”
“My name’s Michael and as for why you should trust me… If you don’t, you will die.”

With that, Michael and Dom walked off. Left with a choice, I was torn with possibilities. To me, the danger of going with them and staying here is exactly the same. With a heavy heart, I make my choice…

…And follow them, into the big, wide world.

I wish I could say that as soon as I got out of there, everything was better. But it wasn’t. I mean, I didn’t even know where I was! I certainly couldn’t see Michael or Dom anymore. Which means that I have no place to go, no one to see because that’s just who I am at the moment – no one. Maybe that’s all I will ever be.

“Are you coming or what?” Asked a voice behind me. As I turned, I saw Michael leaning against the wall with an arrogant grin on his face.

“I’m coming,’ I said, ‘but where to?”

“You’ll have to wait and see, won’t you?”

“No. I trusted Janette partially without knowing any details. Nothing like that will ever happen again. Where are we going?”

“A small farm in Columbus. It’s the safest place for you right now.”

“Why is everyone saying that?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Janette and Magnus said they were keeping me safe, too. Why? What is going on?”

“You’ll have to find that out yourself; I’m not much more clued in than you are. All I know is that your past is catching up with you.”

“Past? What past?”

“Again, I don’t know. That’s all I’ve been told.”

“So how can we hide if we don’t know what we’re hiding from?”

“We’re going to have to find out what it is. Or rather, you are. You’re the only one who can. Remember it’s your past.”

“But I can’t remember anything.”

“Now. You can’t remember anything now, but in Columbus there is a guy who unblocks memory?”

“What do you mean unblocks it?”

“You haven’t lost your memory, Cordelia. You still have it; it’s just hidden away somewhere you can’t access it.”

“What happens when my memory is unblocked?”

“I think we have to worry about if your memory will be unblocked first…”

In order to maintain a normal image, Michael insisted that I try and find somewhere to live on my own. “That way,” he said, “no one connected to me will find you”. I dug in my brand new backpack for the phone that Michael had given me and checked for coverage. Two bars – not great, but it would do.

I started dialling numbers. The first one told me that they had already found somebody and had hung up before I could say anything else. The second one sounded like a weird old guy and Michael had warned me about that.

I called the third one, and got an answering machine with a mellow-sounding male voice. “Hello, you’ve reached the Quack Shack. If you’re looking for Ben, good luck with that because we never know where the hell he is, if you’re looking for Jared you can probably reach him on his cell phone. If you’re looking for Kaelie or Meg, you could probably reach them down at the coffee shop.” It was then interrupted by some quiet whispering and then a girl’s voice said, ‘And if you’re looking to audition for the room, come on by. It’s 119 West Lane.’ A totally different girl’s voice then said, “Yeah just look for the mansion.” And then a fourth voice, male again. “Yup, Pemberley estate meets Buckingham Palace.” Then there was laughter and a beep.

I blinked and finally said, “Um…hi? My name is Cordelia, well Cori for short, but I was just calling about the uh room thing. Sorry” and I hung up as quickly as possible. Those four people sounded normal and pretty close. How am I ever supposed to fit in with them? But there really wasn’t anywhere else to go… Fine, I told myself, and I snapped my phone shut, and then open again to call a cab. Maybe they’d at least feel sorry enough for me to put me up for at least one night.

“West Lane,” the cabbie announced as they stopped. “Ten-fifty.” For a five minute ride?

I paid up and thought about shooting him the finger as he drove away but he looked kind of dangerous and I didn’t exactly want any more trouble.

I hoisted my backpack and all of a sudden I felt tired and shaky as I realised I was a complete stranger around here. I counted house numbers and realised I was standing in front of 119. When I realised this, I gasped, because they weren’t joking, it really did look like a mansion.

Then I realised it was all such a bad idea and there were tears bubbling up along with panic. What am I going to do? Walk up to the door and beg to be their new roommate? They’ll think I’m completely pathetic. It’s hot, I’m tired and I’m hurt. I don’t know what happened but it just all got too much for me to handle so I collapsed to the ground in tears.

“Hey”, said a girl’s voice. “Hey, are you okay?” Slowly I looked up and saw a sweet-looking blonde-haired girl looking at me. “My name is Kaelie,” she continued with a sweet, funny smile, “You lost? I can drive you home if you want.”

She gestured to the street next to them and I realised that while I had been crying, a Chevy Silverado had pulled up. I liked Kaelie already. “No thanks,” I said. “Look I’m sorry; I’ve had a really bad week. I was calling about the room but…”

“Of course! Great! I’m just home for a lunch break; I work at the coffee shop around the corner. Meg is still there right now, Ben’s out and I don’t know if Jared is in but you can still come and have a look if you want.”

“Sure,” I replied. “Yeah, I’d like that.”

Once we were inside the house, Kaelie raced off ahead while I took a couple of hesitant steps down the hallway. Kaelie’s footsteps were clunking from room to room, searching for someone. I proceeded all the way into the big central room.

A guy was sprawled on the couch and as I entered the room, he yawned and sat up. When I opened my mouth – either to say hello or scream – he just put his finger to his mouth and whispered, “Hi, I’m Jared.”

I nodded slightly. He had blonde hair, cut in uneven layers and stunning big blue eyes. I tried working out how old he was. He looked older than me – at least 18 – and he was tall, about 6ft 4inches and slim. He was tall enough to make me feel like an elf at only 5ft 6inches. Oh, to say he made an impression was an understatement.

Long story short, I met Ben and Meg and was graciously accepted into the Quack Shack. Jared and I had this...connection. He totally got me. He'd know immediately when I was feeling down and he'd know exactly what to say. We were just so alike.

I have been so happy for these past few weeks. Jared and I aren't officially dating but that's probably for the best. Maybe I was once in love. Maybe I was once in love with someone perfect.

I walked downstairs from my bedroom and saw Jared flicking the T.V. other from channel to channel. I leant over his shoulder, so that my lips brushed against his ear and whispered, 'indecisive'.

Happy, I walked into the kitchen to make breakfast. I have been in regular contact with Michael but he thinks we're being tracked so we're having to delay meeting the person who will unblock my memories.

It's weird. At first, all I wanted was to remember and now I just don't want to go. I never want to leave this house, and I must admit that I do think Jared and I are going somewhere.

I heard the door open behind me and when I spun around I saw Jared coming over and prising the milk from my hands, placing it down on the side.

His hand cupped my chin in warmth and tilted up my face. The whole world hushed in one perfecr second of stillness. I didn't even hear my heartbeat.

His lips were warm, soft and sweet... The sensation just blinded me, made me feel more awkward and scared than ever before. I hated myself, hated that I didn't know how to kiss him back.

It stopped. My heart was beating so fast it felt like a bird fluttering in my chet. I was flushed and hot and warm... So warm...

He pressed his forehead to mine and sighed. This time, I kissed him and I let my instincts guide me as I let him pull me upright. Our hands were clasped, fingers laced...

Today was the day that I was finally going to get my memories unblocked. I was looking forward to it but at the same time I was nervous. I didn't want anything to ruin mine and Jared's new-found relationship.

I met Michael outside the large, iron gates where we waited. As a hooded figure walked down the path to greet us, Michael asked what his price would be.

The hooded figure looked at me and said, "I require the one true thing she wants with all of her fragile little heart... I want her beloved Jared's soul..."