The heartbreak of it all

Author's note: The book "The Pigman" inspired this, and has a sort-of similar plot.
Author's note: The book "The Pigman" inspired this, and has a sort-of similar plot.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

4

She tried to explain more to me, but I completely zoned out. Life without my best friend. How hard would it be to make new friends? Who could I be friends with? I didn't know what to do. What to say. I didn't even know if I would be able to keep myself alive if Amelia died. I felt broken inside. Like a toy that a child had outgrown. Like someone who had fallen in love just to lose it all. And that's exactly what happened.
I admitted it to myself, I was in love with my best friend, Amelia Johnson. That's why I was so overwhelmed by the thought she would be gone soon. I needed to see her. To tell her. I needed her to have something decent happen before her internal system killed her. I needed to tell her that I loved her.
The next day I got a bus ride over to the hospital Amelia was in. I asked the secretary about her room and went to see her. When I got to her room, so looked ashamed. She turned her sickly pale face to the wall to avoid eye contact.
“Why didn't you just tell me?” I asked, anxious to know the answer to the biggest question on my mind.
“I didn't want to see you upset...” she said, still facing the wall.
“Amelia, I'm your best friend, you could've told me. It would've hurt and I would've gotten over it but you not telling me makes it worse.”
“Who did?”
“Who did what?”
“Who told you?”
“Your mother. I was concerned so I stopped by your house and she told me all about it, I swear I almost passed out on your porch.”
“Oh.”
“Yeah.”
We stayed in silence for a few minutes, but it felt like an eternity passing.
“Hey, Amelia... want to hear a joke?” I asked.
“Sure.”
“There's this guy who's in love with his best friend. She gets really sick and doesn't tell him and he wants to just die because he's so upset that the person he loves is in such bad condition.”
“What's so funny about it?”
“That it's my life.”

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_v4ctqssukimugjb83cb43hslh2, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0