Swish | Teen Ink

Swish

April 9, 2012
By jozyjay BRONZE, pawnee city, Nebraska
More by this author
jozyjay BRONZE, Pawnee City, Nebraska
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

I walked into my first class. There sitting there was Lucas Hampton. He was so, hot! I am pretty sure he smiled at me. I am pretty positive that my cheeks got as red as they ever have. I was melting I could tell. I think He might like me. I hope so he appears hotter than ever this year.
As I scanned around I saw the usual hottie Justin Lewis. He is what you would call the hottest guy in school. Rumor has it that he isn't dating right now. I wonder if I could change that.
Doubt It. It seems like over the summer all the guys just get hotter.
Mrs. Gagpersons started class. I hate biology. Boring! I don’t know if I'll ever use it. I know I won't be a Doctor. I might be a rock star or a pro basketball player. Who am I Kidding? Mom and Dad would never let those go. They want me to be a lawyer. Blah! Gross. It is so normal. I am anything but normal. I am crazier and fun. My parents want me to be a boring angel. Maybe I should be an Angel of not so good? That would be okay I guess. I would still be an angel o well. I guess the rest of the day went by fast. All day, all I had on my mind was guys. Hot guys, ugly guys, fat guys, skinny guys, kissing guys, talking to guys, boyfriends, just friends. All guys!

I know it is wrong but when you are trapped in a house with girls at a learning camp over the summer.. You what guys. Doesn’t matter what kind. Any ones will due just I need them soon. I think this year might be the year I get a guy. I hope so! I need a guy that will love me.

I need a guy that will love me. One that will hold me tight. One that will take me away from my parents and there expectations. A guy that will let me be me. One that will stay up to talk to me. One that calls me beautiful not hot. One that doesn’t care how I look or act. I want the one. I want him soon too.

Sometimes, I wonder if there is something wrong with me and that is why the guys don’t like me. Maybe it is my hair. It is dirty blonde with some curls here and there. Nothing that turns heads. Maybe it’s my clothes. I wear shorts and a t shirt everyday unless it is cold than I where jeans. My parents don’t exactly agree with it but they let it slide. I don’t where fancy clothes unless I have to. I always wear my sneakers. Easier to play basketball in. Maybe it is that. Basketball. Do guys not dig girls that like that sport. They play it why wouldn’t they like girls playing it. I know they are scared that I will beat them at the game. I so would! I guess that must be why they don’t like me.

That has to change! I think I might be the only freshman to never kiss a guy. That is kind of weird. I wonder if Lucas has kissed a girl. I bet he has. I can almost taste that cinnamon lips. His breathe always smells like cinnamon. Oh how I wish I could kiss his big lips. Touch his golden blonde shaggy hair. I want him bad! To have his strong hands in mine would be a dream. A dream comes true! I know he his single now I just have to get him to notice me. I should make a list!

Be more girly

be cooler

Date Lucas

play basketball

pass classes

I went to the court. Might as well get started on my shots before everyone else.
Most girls after school would me hanging with friends. One thing there is friend’s one thing I have never have. I wouldn’t say that I have a lot of enemies. I am just kind of here stuck on this earth. No real purpose but basketball and school. I have the best grades, no amazing looks. I get by that’s it. The only good thing is basketball.

As I approached the hoop at the park, I could hear someone already there. As I got even closer I saw Lucas Hampton. A pretty nice guy. We had talked a few times not enough to know him real well. I saw him look my way and I turned away. Next thing I knew he was running my way. I heard the gravel crumple under my feet. Why was he running up to me was all I was thinking about.

“Why’d you turn away?” he asked “Jessie isn’t it?”

“Yeah, you were using the court I didn’t want to disturb you”

“Disturd Me? No I’m Lucas” he said putting out his hand to shake

“I know how did you know my name I didn’t even think you knew I existed.”

“It’s on your sweat shirt. I think I’ve seen you around are you the girl that does Justin’s homework? “He asked in his newly deeper voice

“Yeah, that’s me! I keep him passing what else I have to do not like he could by himself.” I said realizing how wrong that sounded, “I mean that in the nicest way ever?”

“It’s ok you’re probably right.” he said laughing, “hey you gonna come shoot some hoops?” he said meaning that more as an invitation more than a question.

“I don’t know I think I should get home” Lie! I wanted to shoot hoops but not with some guy who is friends with the biggest meat head in school.

“Come on, you’re just scared I’ll make more shots than you. I’ll go easy on you if you want.”

“Easy? I don’t need anyone to go easy on me!” I said excepting the challenge. I grabbed the ball and ran to the hoop with him trailing be hind me. I made a lay up and he looked at me with his brownish bluish eyes.

“Lucky lay up.” he said with a tone in his phone saying he could do better.

“It’s not Luck, its skill something you don’t got!” I answered with a pop in my voice.

“I got skill” he said backing to the half court mark, “I bet you twenty bucks I can make it from here with a perfect swish!”

“Ok, I’ll take my money now” I said jokingly as he lined up for a shot SWISH!

In the ball had went, as I had reached into my pocket to grab out his well deserved twenty bucks, I felt his strong hands come behind me .

“If you come tomorrow you don’t owe me any thing. I got to get home see you here then?” He said more as a command than a question as he got into his old beat up truck he had gotten for his 16 birthday a month ago. “Need a ride home it’s getting pretty dark out?”

“ NO , It’s not that far out I’ll be fine” I replied only imagining what my little sister Lindsey would say if I pulled up in his pick up.

“Get in I’m not gonna let you walk home when its dark.” he replied as it began getting darker and darker out and the street lights were already on.

“Fine” I said getting in the truck knowing I was not gonna win this fight.

I think I am finally becoming cool. I got to spend the afternoon with a pretty cool girl. Jessie is her name. I hadn’t noticed her like ever. I haven’t been able to get her out of my mind since then. I even got to take her home. That is the most time I have ever got to hang with a girl.

When I had got home, I remembered I still had to do my chores. I had went to the sink, and found the dishes were already done. Payton. I saw her skip in to my arms. She is my life and always has been. She is my little 7 year old sister. She has her natural curly hair in a ponytail just like I put it in this morning for her.

“I did dishes for you” she said in her little sweet voice.

“I see that is dad home?” I asked just as the old man hobbled in to the house.

“Pay, you go upstairs and take a shower Kay? I’ll be up in a bit.” I told her keeping her away just in case he was in a bad mood again. He must have been at the bar after work today because I could smell the liquor on him. I helped him to the couch turned on the television and let him sleep.

As I went up the stairs, I heard him barely mumble something then puke in the bucket that was always kept by the couch, Typical Monday. I went to Payton’s room and helped her get her pajama’s on. She slipped into bed and I had read her another chapter of Charlottes Web. Until, her eyes began to droop and she peacefully went to sleep.

I went to my room and sat on my bed to think. What a day? I am now best friends with Justin Lewis the most popular guy in school. Missy Kenton Smiled at me in Biology. We had tuna for lunch, and I got to hang out with Jessie today, plus I got to give her a ride home. I Lucas Hampton am the luckiest guy in the world. No one in the universe is more luckier than me. I am no longer some nerd. I have plans for after school tomorrow. I haven’t had plans with people like ever. Next thing I knew I heard a scream from Payton’s room. I dashed in there. There is no way dad had got up here I would have heard.

Payton laid there sweating in her room. “What’s wrong Pay?” I asked hearing dad’s footsteps stomp up the steps.

“I ...had… a…. bad… dream.” she said sniffling and crying

“What is all the racket up here some of us are trying to sleep.” Dad answered with coldness in his voice.

“Payton just had a bad dream, its ok you can go to sleep again. I’ll take care of it” I answered with my arm around her.

“Don’t let this happen again” he said with he said slurring his words and eruptible stomped to the steps and fell going down. He laid passed out at the bottom.

“Do you want me to stay in here with you” I asked lying next to her already.

“Yeah” Payton said putting her head on my shoulder and drifting to sleep.

I sat with Payton then I heard her say “Luke, I’m scared.”

“Why?”

“I’m scared I’ll have that dream again”

“What’s the dream?”

“Daddy, taking you away and then trapping me in a room all by myself.”

“That won’t happen Pay,”

“Luke tomorrow can I go to the court with you please?.

“Umm... Yeah sure ,pay, anything for you go to sleep Kay?’

I stretched out of bed. Went to my closet. Trying to decide what to wear in the morning is always the hardest part of the day. Pink? No I wore that yesterday. Orange? No makes I look pale. Blue? Yeah that should work and I slid it on. I went put in my contacts and got my make up on. Got to look pretty to keep my new status as It girl. New goal is to get a boy friend. That will boost my popularity by a lot. I mean I just need a guy to use long enough to keep status on top then dump. No one too nerdy or normal, but no one too popular either. Any people like Justin Lewis might dump me before I dump him. My rep would go down if I got dumped. I might never be able to go back to the school again.

I know that seems a little over the top but in high school you have to be the top or you’ll be the bottom. I’ve been the bottom and that is not fun. Top is the new me no more fat nerdy piggy tail Darcy, I’m now skinny trend setter Darcy Millington.

After a summer of fashion magazines, only almonds, and a treadmill I am the new it girl. I knocked Tyler Lucyington right out of this spot. I felt bad but hey she has a guy name it was easy. When I made her as an enemy middle of the summer. I just had to fling mud and she went down. I know it is wrong but she had it coming..

Since the 2nd grade she has made fat jokes about me. She’s made me feel small. Now it’s payback time. I ran down stairs and made some toast. Daddy and Mom came down the steps. Dad was clenching his brief case he came over and kissed my forehead.

“Bye, baby girl” he said then gave a glare to mom. Who also was rushing out the door.

She turned around and yelled “have a nice day at school” Normal day. Must be fighting again. Great! I thought sarcastically. I sat waiting for Jenny Wilson to come pick me up. I can’t wait for my birthday. Daddy said he’ll buy me a convertible. One of my choice. For now I am stuck with riding with Jenny. She is pretty cool I guess. Not near as pretty as me. But she comes pretty close.

She pulled up in her jeep. What a weird car I know but it’s a car. We drove the 4 blocks to school and we parted ways. I saw a group of my friends by my locker and we talked until first bell. When I went to biology I bumped into Tyler.

“Wow fat people really do need more room they have to bump others out of the way to get it too.”

“Yeah that’s why you bumped into me” I said responding to the joke

“I’m not fat I weigh 120!”

“Obese much?

“Look whose talking fat camp!” She said,”We all know that’s where you’ve been this summer!”

That’s when I slapped her. We grabbed each others hair and wrestled around. Someone nearby yelled “Chick Fight!” Soon enough Mr. Hudson was on the scene breaking up the fight and taking us both to his office.

Sadly since I started the fight I got detention and she got off on self defense not a good day today. Looks like after school shopping will have to wait for tomorrow and I’ll be walking home. What fun?

Detention? So what if I gave Johnny Daniels a wedge! It’s his fault for being a nerd. Dad won’t be happy but so what. He’ll understand. I thought as I walked into the detention room. Looked like a full house today. Did Mr. Hudson give everybody detention today? 5 people is an all time max for usual. Wow and 3 were girls! It’s all good Lucas got it to for laughing when I gave Johnny the wedge.

“Glad you could join us Mr. Lewis.” Mr. Hudson said motioning to a desk. “I have to run some errands but lets review the rules, there will be no talking, no eating, and you must be working the whole time. I do not allow cell phones or iPods here so I suggest they stay in you bag. Mr. Hampton a ride was arranged for your sister to be taken home since you got detention. Now, I will be back in about 30 minutes when I return you may go. Is that clear?”

“ Crystal” I replied with attitude in my voice. Mr. Hudson walked out of the room shutting the door behind him. “So what did you guys do to get detention?” I asked curiously.

“I slapped Tyler for being a twit” Darcy Millington the hottest girl in school said.

“Oh, I heard about the chick fight did you win?” I asked laughing at the thought of the little twigs fighting.

“ No one won because Hudson broke it up.” she replied with a slight grin on her face.

“How bout you jenny?” I said trying to remember if that was her name or not.

“It’s Jessie, she does your homework for you at least you could do is remember her name” Lucas said snapping at me. Since when has he been friends with nerds?

“Oh yeah sorry.” I said seeing it’s not a thing to fight about with her there. I’ll talk to him about it later. “So many names hard to remember when you’re as cool as me.”

“It’s ok, I ended up slamming my locker when Mr. Hudson was looking and I got detention.” Jessie said slumping down a little. It’s not my fault I didn’t know her name.

“Ha, getting a little wild?” I said laughing trying to brighten the mood, “What about you?” I said turning to Missy Kenton.

“I was late to class.” She said trying not to smile.

“Nice!” I said trying not to laugh.

“You?” She asked like she didn’t know.

“ I Gave a nerd a wedge and Lucas laughed about it so we got detention.”

“I see.” She said trying to make convocation. Next thing I know I see Lucas trying to pass a note to Jessie. What is he doing? Just as she was grabbing it I ran and snatched it. I began to read it out loud.

“So are we still on for shooting hoops after school check yes or no!, Dude really? If you don’t mind can I join or would I be interrupting a date or something?” I said mockingly.

“Um… I don’t mind I don’t think I can though I better get home after detention.” Jessie said almost scared like.

“Come on? Don’t bail cause of him you’ll owe me 20 bucks if you don’t!” Lucas said. What? 20 bucks?

“Fine, Missy, Darcy wanna come?” Jessie asked politely expecting a no.

“Sure! I’d love to!” Missy said enthusiastic.

“Now I have to or I’ll be the out cast jerks!” Darcy said like we torturing her.
It was on.

I couldn’t believe it! For once being late was getting me somewhere. I had plans in 10 minutes to go and hang with 2 of the hottest guys in the school! This was gonna rock. My girls were never gonna believe this! I hurried and texted Molly and Jacky.

Can’t Hang out today has plans with Justin Lewis and Lucas Hampton! plus some other kids!

I patiently waited for a respond. Finally Jacky answered.

OMG!!!!! How I thought you had detention?

I did that’s how our plans started 

Awe! I can see it now you guys get married and on how you guys started talking you can say in detention! How sweet is that?

Marry which one?

Does it matter?

True they are both So Hot!

Agreed! Hey and the one you don’t date you can introduce to me and I can date and have little hot baby’s

LOL! So true! I think Justin’s hotter so I call him you can have Lucas.

LOL! No fair I want Justin

Hey I am the ones with plans.

Your point being? He just doesn’t know I exist yet but that will change, so what are your plans?

Going to shoot hoops it is gonna be awesome!

Do your Parents know?

NO! They would kill me you know there rule of no boys until I’m a successful 30 year old business layer person!

Yeah cause that sure is gonna happen! You hate lawyers cause they are all argumentative!

I know that is why they don’t know about my plans and you won’t be the one to tell them either!

I swear on my heart I won’t tell a soul about your plans.
Good, you can tell Molly of coarse but no one else deal?

Deal!

So what you gonna wear?

Shorts and a t-shirt?

Which one?

I don’t know the red one?

CUTE!

Yeah I know and my sneakers.

The red or black ones?

Red the black ones hurt my feet.

Pain is beauty!
Not in basketball Well I got to get goin!
Text me every detail later kk?
K!

I Went for one more hoop as I heard a familiar voice come behind me. Lucas.

“Hey, didn’t think you’d show since Justin and them are comin”

“I was hoping no one would show though.” I said

“Justin really isn’t that bad of a guy I swear. He just likes to maintain his status as the big guy.”

“Big guy? More like the stupid guy who is a jerk to all the people around him.”

“You aren’t wrong there, but give him a chance” He said with a tee in his tone. Just as he said that in came the meat head himself.

“We gonna shoot or talk?” Justin exclaimed butting in to the convocation.

“Shouldn’t we wait until the rest get here?” I said with a little attitude in my voice.

“Your right, YO Lucas can I talk to you on the bench for a second.” Justin said guiding Lucas to the bench out of hearing range. They sat and whispered some stuff then as soon as Darcy skipped down the block in a hot pink jacket with short track shoes Justin pointed to her and Lucas shook his head. What could they be talking about and then came Missy we were all here now.

“Ok so I say we start up a game we’ll make it fair and do boys verses girls. You’ll have an extra girl so you guys will have advantage. WE start with ball ok?’ Justin explained like we were stupid. “You’re hoop is over there and this orange thing goes in it okay?” He exclaimed like we were idiots.

“Ok, SO do you think I’ll break a nail playing?” Darcy asked pretending to be stupid. We got in a huddle and came up with a game plan. When the guys started with ball we let them make a few shots then, when they were getting there glory we smoked them final score ended up 4-16.

“We just went easy on you but can we just not say anything about this to people?” Justin said in shock.

“ok whatever puts you to sleep at night!” Darcy said smiling.

“You think It’s funny?” Justin asked looking at Darcy, “I’ll show you funny” and came up behind her and picked her up and carried her over to the bench to drop her in the puddle right under them.

“Justin! you do it and I’ll kill you!” Darcy exclaimed fiercely. Next, thing I knew Darcy was in the puddle covered in mud. She then began to chase Justin all around the court. Finally, they called a truce and Darcy agreed to let Justin give her a ride home.

“so, umm it’s getting pretty dark out so can I have a ride home Lucas?” Missy asked wanting to see if Lucas would take the bait.

“yeah, sure Jessie do you want a ride too?”

“You know what I think I can walk it’s just across the alley” Missy said hurt that he wanted me to come.

“you sure?” Lucas asked kindly as I stood mute.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine” She said walking while texting,”Night” I could tell she wasn’t pleased she that he was going to be alone with me. I think she kinda likes him. Wouldn’t surprise me. I stood there facing him looking at him. Finally to break the silence I said.

“So, what did Justin want earlier when he had got here?”

I couldn’t believe it. I was standing with Jessie. Alone. Something I had wanted all day. She looked so amazing under the street lights. Her hair was blonde and straight with I few water droplets from where the water had splashed her when Darcy got wet. Finally, she broke the silence and my train of thought.

“So, what did Justin want earlier when he had got here?”

“Just guy stuff.” I said lying through my teeth. My mind raced back to our talk.

“Yo, you got to stop hangin with the nerds. I got you popular so you would be away from that! Don’t let some dumb nerd ruin that ok?

“She’s not some dumb girl. First off she’s smarter than you. Second off, she is really cool.”

“You know why she does my homework?”

“Cause your too stupid to!”

“No, cause she’s a nerd, and if you want a girl that’s fine, but find one like… like Darcy!” He had said gesturing to the preppy girl skipping down the street.” Watch how it’s done today then, you try your moves on a girl like Missy or Darcy not a nerd!” I remember the hurt. How could he say something like that. It reminded me of my dad last night. uh-Oh! Payton! I Had to get home. The monster was probably home by now. I dashed off to my truck.

“where are you goin?” Jessie yelled.

“Just get in the truck” I replied scared as ever and shaking barley gripping my keys. Jessie crawled in quickly knowing something was up.

“What’s wrong” She asked concerned as I roared the truck to life.

“Payton’s home alone with my dad home it’s not good” I repied,”Do you mind comin to my house? I kinda can’t waist time with her there with out protection?” I said as I zoomed down the dimly lit streets.

“Sure.” She answered without argument Just as we approached I heard Payton’s screams.

“Lucas, help, Lucas!” The truck wasn’t even completely stopped and a opened the door and ran to the house. Jessie stopped the truck and turned it off. She then ran following me. When I went to the kitchen I saw The monster trying to break the dor leading out of the kitchen to the bathroom down. I went over and punched him right in the jaw. He dropped. “Pay, it’s me you can come out now it’s okay.” I heard the lock slowly unlatch and her little blue eyes peek out.

“Lucas? where were you?” She asked sobbing andrunning into my arms. “Don’t go again, Don’t!”

“I won’t Pay, I won’t” Then, I saw Jessie smile behind me. “Payton this is Jessie she’s a friend, Jessie this is my little 7 year old sister Payton. And that waste of air on the ground is my good for nothing dad.” I said introducing. “Pay, have you ate?” She shook her head no and I looked at Jessie. “How about I take you two to McDonalds to eat? I know you haven’t ate and I myself am starved!” I said hearing Payton’s stomach growl.

“Umm I don’t know I should probably get home.” Jessie said

“Please?” Payton asked looking up at her with her tear sained eyes?

“Ok. I better call my gran and tell her I’ll be later getting home.” Jessie explained while walking off with her phone held to her ear.

“Is that your girlfriend?” Payton asked with a grin on her face.

“no, she’s just a friend okay?”I explained messing up her hair.
“Hey! Now it’s all mest up!” She yelled playfully as I did so.
“Well she said okay!” Jessie said walkingtowards us. “Your hairs all mest up want me to fix it?” She asked helpful.
“You’ll do a better job than him!” Payton exclaimed laughing. And Jessie pulled her hair bsck into a neat ponytail.
“You have such long pretty hair”, she said “It’s just like my younger sister Lindsey’s she’s about your age how old are you?”
“I’m 7!”
“So she!”
“Wait Lindsey Welsh? She’s in my class!”
“Yup that’s her.”
“Well we better get going its already past your bed time ms. Payton” I said as we piled into the old beat up truck.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


TheHiddenOne said...
on Apr. 14 2012 at 12:12 am
TheHiddenOne, Ticonderoga, New York
0 articles 1 photo 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Heal the past; Live in the present; And dream the future!!

Please write more