Devil's Beauty | Teen Ink

Devil's Beauty

January 6, 2012
By MountEverest GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
More by this author
MountEverest GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
17 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why rather, sleep, liest thou in smoky cribs
...
Than in the perfumed chambers of the great,
Under the canopies of costly state,
And lulled with sound of sweetest melody?" By William Shakespeare


Author's note: I naturally have loved horses since i can remember. Writing about horses and romance is very easy for me. Always has been...always will.

Rain falls. The pit-pattering sound soothes me. I lay my head on my horse. She breathes ever so soundly. I look around with my eyes half closed and breathe in the smell of hay. My horse’s chest rises and lowers. She’s still sleeping after her tiresome race to get back home. I move strands of hay off her mane and stroke her ever-so-soft neck. She snorts softly and gently moves her ears to and fro.
Such a wonderful horse, I think to myself, why are you such a devil?
A sudden neigh from one of the stalls disturbs the silence. My horse lifts her head but wincing in pain lowers it once more.

“What should I name you?” I whisper in her ear.

She nudges my hand gently but drops her head and closes her eyes. The peaceful rhythm of her breathing comforts me as I peek at her wound. Stained the bandages look ready to replace so I carefully stand up and crawl to the stall door without making a fuss about the noise. I crack open the door and slip out. Looking around I see darkness. The rain has stopped and the smell of damp earth fills my nostrils.

“Now, where does Uncle Joe keep the bandages?” I say to myself in questioning wonder as I keep looking around.

I walk to the tack room and peer inside. Nothing but the sight of saddles and bridles fills the room. Stumbling in the dark I creep into the hay room and again am disappointed to find nothing but hay and feed.

“Maybe I should call Carter? He ought to know where everything is.”

Stifling my footsteps I head back to my horse’s stall and check on her briefly. She lies in her bed of straw and hay resting peacefully but painfully as her breathing staggers. I blow a kiss of comfort in her direction and head for the barn door. Creaking it open just a crack I slip outside.
I peer around and again see nothing but darkness. Carter’s house is not but a mile away and about 30 minutes walking and 15 minutes on horse. I have no choice but to walk seeing as most of the horses are broncos or just old. Taking a last glance at the barn I go off running as fast as I can.
“Don’t worry horse, I’ll be back soon!”
Catching my breathe I slow down and jog most of the way. Within a couple of long minutes I see a porch light in the distance. Carter! He must be home. I doubt his parents are awake. They usually have to wake up before dawn to take care of the ranch. He must be outside. I run faster as I see the house more clearly. I reach the porch and come to an immediate halt. Peering about I scan the ranch and look for Carter.
“Where is he? I don’t see him!” I cry in desperation.
Coming to my last resort I knock on the door and when no answer comes I knock again. Suddenly I hear shuffling inside and in a couples seconds Carter opens the door wearing his pajamas.
“Eh, hi.” He says rubbing his eyes and stretching.
“Oh were you sleeping?” I ask frantic.
“Uh, yea. Why are you here? I thought you were taking care of Diablita.” He opens his large brown hazel eyes and I can tell right away he’s concerned.
“That’s why I came! I can’t find where the clean bandages are. Hers are looking really dirty. Do you know where they are?”
“Um, I think so. Let me get changed I’ll be right there, but por mientras, for now, go get two horses ready I’ll meet you at the barn.” He quickly turned around and headed for his room leaving the door open for me to go through the back.
Following him he led me to the back door and as I went to the barn he quickly changed. Knowing his favorite horse I saddled up Grey, a strong black stallion, for him, and took Buttercup, a chestnut mare, for myself. As I led the two horses towards the front Carter caught up with me and took the reins of Grey. We got on the horses and rode towards Uncle Joe’s ranch.
“How long has it been since you’ve changed the bandages?” Carter asked.
“I don’t remember. Maybe like two to three days?” I responded.
“Ay! That’s too long she might get an infection! We need to hurry!”
He urged Grey on faster and I did the same with Buttercup. Within no time we reached the ranch and as we got off the horses Carter dashed inside the barn not caring about the creaking of the doors. I followed closely behind him.
“Como estas Hermosa? How are you beautiful? Let’s see your wound.” Carter whispered as he opened her stall and kneeled down next to my horse, “Where’s the medicine Joe has for edidas, injuries? The bandages might be in the tack room where the polishes are.” Carter instructed.
“Um, he never told me anything of where anything was. I’ll go check.”
I rushed off into the tack room once again and underneath the polish rags were eight perfect roles of pure white bandages. I picked two and got some of the wound crème. I rushed back to Carter and handed him the necessities and rushed off once more for more hay. As I came back Carter was standing and wiping his hands on a rag.
“Is everything alright?” I asked.
“Yep everything seems alright. Watch her more carefully though, she might need assistance when she eats. Other than that you should be all right.” He advised looking me in the eye with his huge hazel brown eyes.
“Thanks Carter.”
“Your welcome. I gotta get home. I’ll come back in the morning, okay?”
“Ok, fine with me. You wouldn’t happen to know when Uncle Joe is coming back would you.” I asked curious at being left any longer by myself.
“No se, I don’t know sorry.” He took some steps away from my horse and walked out of the stall.
He gave me the bandages and crème and headed out of the barn. I looked at the necessities and rubbed my fingers across the white linen.
So smooth, I thought, too bad its only priority is to wipe off blood and be laid on an infected wound.
I turned back to my horse and started thinking of a name. Her velvety brown and black coat reminded me of the wet earth outside. I wondered if the rain had ceased and the ground was once more dry. I walked to the barn door and peeked outside. Darkness and quiet smashed me in the face along with a gust of moist wind. Still not dry. I shook my head and stepped back inside the barn listening. The sound of wind screaming outside and horses maneuvering inside filled my ears. This was going to be a long night.
“Why hadn’t Carter stayed? He could’ve kept me company!” I wined to myself.
I sighed and walked back to where my horse was. I layed near her and gently stroked her soft neck taking care not to touch her bandage-covered shoulder. She had become my horse not a month ago when my Uncle Joe had caught her in a wild horse round-up. She was very tame but had a strong spirit when he had caught her. That was when I came to his ranch and hoping to become a veterinarian helped him with the animals.
A couple of weeks ago she
was let out of her pasture by some lunatic. We suspected she roamed about some hours before we could actually locate her and when we did she was in the middle of the wolf-forest. We couldn’t go in there without getting our horses injured or worse eaten. Thankfully, though, nothing happened to her while we tried to maneuver our way into the forest.
Tragedy struck when we had finally reached her. My uncle and I cornered her and were about to catch her when a pack of devil-dogs pounced and got her first before we could. She thrashed and kicked until she couldn’t move anymore, and meanwhile we shot and shot at the dogs. All of that was no use and until we could finally scare them off it was too late for her and we had to call in reinforcements.
When the vet had examined her, he had shaken his head and said she wouldn’t make it. I took a look at her myself and cried all night. We decided on taking her to a hospital and when we did they sewed her up and gave her stitches which did her wonders. In a couple of days we took her home and started taking care of her ourselves. Since I showed the most affection for her Uncle Joe gave her to me, and I accepted her gratefully.
Now that my uncle left for New Hampshire to pick up the horses he bought from a distant relative of his he left me in charge of the ranch. And now here I am looking after my horse that doesn’t have a name yet. When Uncle Joe left he had said he would be back in a couple of days or maybe weeks, but if I ever needed anything I should just ask my friend Carter who knew the ranch better than me.
I looked at my beauty again and smiled as she opened an eye and peered at me. Her eyes were hazel-brown, just like Carter’s. I giggled softly thinking that maybe Carter was watching me through my horse. That was impossible but even then just to make sure I waved. Laughing to myself I stifled a yawn. Sleepy I rested my head on a clean patch of straw and slept.

The morning sunlight coming through the stall window woke me up. I stretched and rubbed my eyes as I looked over my horse. Still sleeping, she gently cocked her ears. Rubbing her neck I gently checked her shoulder. Clean. Smiling to myself I get up and walked out of the stall and onto checking the other horses.
Grabbing fresh hay I refilled all the horses feed and poured fresh water. After all the necessary chores I opened the barn doors to let in some fresh air. The day was beautiful.
“What should I do now?” I smiled to myself.
Looking towards Carter’s house I immediately remembered what he had said. Looking down at myself I grunted in disgust and looked towards Uncle Joe’s house. I ran until I reached the porch steps.
“Where did I leave the key?” I yelled at myself as I searched my pockets.
Happily I pulled the key out of my back pocket and pushed it into the lock. The door creaked open and a gush of cold damp wind tickled my face.
“Doesn’t he have a heater somewhere?” I asked in frustration to the cold.
I walked in and ran to the guest bedroom where my clothes were, all the while rubbing my arms to keep them warm. Reaching the last door in the hallway which was my room I pushed the door open to find all of Uncle Joe’s four blood-hounds upon my bed.
“Get off! This is my bed not yours!” I yelled as I pushed them generously off.
They slid as easily as butter and ran off somewhere in the house only leaving behind the distant jingling noise of their collars. I dusted off the best and went to work on my wardrobe. I picked through my clothes and found a clean black t-shirt and a pair of jeans. My shoes were dirty and smelled foul so I traded them for my cowboy boots. Looking in the mirror I saw that my hair was a mess so I slicked it back into a neat pony tail.
Seeing that I was ready to go I quickly washed my face and ran back towards the barn where I found one of the hound puppies smelling the fresh hay.
“Whoa little guy don’t mark your business there.” I say as I picked the pup up and set it on the ground near the door.
Yapping happily it wandered off outside and sighing with relief I went to my horse’s stall. Finding her in good health I changed her bandages and wiped her wound clean. She didn’t flinch when I patted her neck and I took that as a sign of healing. Looking at her head I figured it was time to coax her up and get her walking again.
“C’mon beauty! Let’s get you up and give you your munchies!” I whispered in her ears gently patting her head.
Tenderly I pushed my hands underneath her belly and started lifting her up carefully. Tired from the weight I figured Carter ought to help me out so standing I went to go call his house.
I dialed his number and waited and three rings sounded then on the fourth he picked up.
“Hello?” He sounded tired and somewhat annoyed.
“Carter, it’s me Adele, can you come over please? I need your help.”
“Sure, but not right now I’m helping Papa tame a bronco. Call me later in the after noon maybe I’ll be free.” He said.
“Alright, but what would you suggest for coaxing a horse to stand up?”
“Standing up? Don’t tell me you’re trying to get Diablita to stand? You know what I’ll be right there. That seems more important than getting my back kicked.” He chuckled to himself.
“Okay, but hurry I think it’ll take the whole day if not then some hours to get her up.”
“Alright I’m on my way. Bye.”
“Bye” I hung up and quickly went back to my horse.
I soothed her achingly red wound and sang her a lullaby:

In the mountains far and wide
Their spirits held with loathsome pride
Far they gather distance spread
The gallant manes and feet ahead
Pounding lofty and pounding strong
They reach their site and gather round
For the horses of the mountains
Their home so ever sweet
They gather round and ever soundly sleep.

She lifts her head at the sound of my voice and snorts softly. Just then something strikes me and a name pops in my head.
“You know something girl? You’re very beautiful; it’s almost like a sin. I think I know what to name you.” I say and wipe off dirt from her golden brown neck. I stand up and look down at her.
“Hello, Devil’s Beauty.” I smile to myself and carefully walk out of the stall and find the name plate on the door.
The name before had been Black Jack. I saw it was marked with a pencil so spitting on it I erased the name and went into the tack room to find a marker. Looking under the oils and polish I found a charcoal pencil and used it instead. Walking back to the stall door I wrote neatly on the name plate: “Devil’s Beauty” then I stood back and admired my creativity.
Devil’s Beauty fit her perfectly seeing as her golden brown coat and black mane made her a precious animal and her hazel-brown eyes made her magnificent. My smile broadened when she swished her head trying to shoo away the flies almost lifting her neck off the bedding a full two feet.
“You’re on your way Devil’s Beauty! Just a little more!” I exclaim.
I hear horse hooves clomping down the cobbled path to the barn and wonder who that must be. I quickly run toward the barn door and spy through the crack. Carter! He finally came and right on time too seeing as Devil’s Beauty was ready to get to work.

“C’mon, Carter! She’s already trying to get up.” I exaggerated to make him walk faster.

“Ya voy! No me apures! I’m coming don’t worry, Adele.” He said hauling his horse behind him.

“Okay. Guess what?” I asked as I helped him put Grey into one of the empty stalls.

“What?”

“I named my horse. Want to know her name?”

“Si por favor. Yes please.” He replied.

“Her name is Devil’s Beauty.” I informed him with a smile.

“That’s a pretty name. How’d you come up with it? El Diablo’s Hermosa, that’s pretty cool.” He smiled back as he walked toward her stall.

We both looked at her as she swished her tail to and fro trying to swat flies. Sensing our presence she raised her head and neighed hello. I laughed and soon Carter started laughing too.

“She looks pretty good.” Carter acknowledges.

“Yeah, I can’t wait for her to get up. That way I can start riding her.”

I walk into the stall and brush her mane away from her eyes. She breathes heavily and softly snorts into the straw bed. I pat her neck and look at Carter.

“What do we start with?” I ask.

“First we need to lure her up, maybe with some carrots or treats.”

“Last time I checked there were carrots and some salt blocks in the feed room. Can you go get some?”

“Yes, I’ll be right back.”

As I watch Carter go I realize I had been absentmindedly stroking Beauty’s forearm and that caused her to close her eyes. I smile and whistle to get her attention, and then I dig my hands underneath her and gently push upwards. She thrusts her legs and in no time she’s halfway up but not completely. I sigh and wipe sweat from my brow as I get up and dust my jeans.

“Here are the carrots, Adele!” Carter exclaims while he walks into the stall.

“Thanks. I think she can get up without them. All we need to do is help her.”

“You already tried it?”

“Yes.”

He nods his head and says, “Ok then lets get to work!”

“Alright.”

He instructs me to take command of her head area while he gets the rear. Once we’re in our place we both count to three and push her upwards. She neighs and shudders at the impact.

We only succeed in raising her into a sitting position when Carter comes to my sides and says, “Ok help me push her up from the rear but grab a halter and slip it on her head, ok? Then keep grab of the rope to help urge her.”

“Aye-aye Captain!” I respond as I find a halter by the door.

Once the halter is on and the rope attached I slide into place by Carter and once he counts to three we push together and I pull hard on the rope. Sweat dripping down from my face I blink away dirt and exhale deeply the smell of horse. Carter does the same and on the count of three we push again and this time Devil’s Beauty comes to stand. Smiling I wipe away the drizzle on my face.

“We did it!” I exclaim as I watch her settle herself to where she can drink her water.

“Yes, we did.” Carter sighs.

As I look over at his face he catches me staring so he smiles and grabs my arm pulling me out of the stall. Curious I open my mouth to speak but he shushes me and gestures to stay quiet but follow him. I obey and soon he leads me out towards one of the big pastures that have been over run by weeds. We keep walking until he stops in front of a rose bush and peeks inside. After several minutes he looks at me and gestures to come look.

I bend over and peek. What I see amazes me. A bird’s nest in the midst of many thorns carries four baby birds. I watch them and smile as they rest their little heads on each other for warmth.

“How long have you known they were here?” I ask whispering.

“I barely found out today. I heard them screaming for their mom when I got to the ranch so I came to check it out.” He said looking at my amused face and chuckling to himself.

I gently touch their tiny heads and feel soft fluffy feathers beginning to grow. Awed I step back quietly not to awaken them in case their mom comes back to watch over them. I walk away slowly and Carter follows close behind.

“I am really tired what about you?” I yawn.

“Just a little. I want to stay outside.” He looks up toward the sun and the light reflects off his hazel brown eyes.

A feeling like I’m falling overcomes me and I realize something big. I’m in love with Carter!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.