The Wish Girl

Author's note: I wrote this as a short story but it ended up being long. It's really not a novel, only 3 small...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this as a short story but it ended up being long. It's really not a novel, only 3 small parts, but it's over 3,000 words.

The idea for this stemmed from a "what if" moment I had while lying in bed. My heart was pounding for some odd reason, and I thought "I wish my heart would stop beating," Realizing what I'd just thought, I quickly added "So fast," and then proceeded to wonder what would it be like to have all your wishes come true? What would be good? What would be bad? And hence stemmed forth "The Wish Girl"  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

PART II: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

I had been experimenting all night. Sandry hated me and refused to talk to me for lying to her. I’d also learned a few things about this newfound power of mine. Like that I couldn’t wish that Rico would put a sock in it when he was being obnoxious. Poor Rico had to brush his teeth 5 times to get the dirty gym sock smell out of his mouth. And I had to be careful not to wish something stupid, like I were a bird or fish, since it would come true. To tell you the truth, this new power really scared me sometimes. Before you can say “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” once, I could save the world, establish world peace and end world hunger all with a few words. I could wish away diseases; I could get rich by charging people for their wishes, like a little genie for hire. And just as quickly, I could destroy the world. Needless to say I was extremely frightened by the power I held.
In the meantime, I could keep my little brother out of my hair. But do I really want to control people’s minds? Do I want to become someone like that?
Just then, my phone rang. I picked it up and Sandry screeched in my ear. “You’ll never guess what happened!”
“Peter Kurten asked you out,” I guessed dryly.
“How did you know? Are you a physic now, too?”
“No, but all my other wishes have come true. Rico put a gym sock in his mouth. I guess it just took time.”
“Whoa… I’m sorry I was harsh and mean…” She sounded like Lily Maskavitz on Princess Diaries when she finds out Mia is a princess. I let her apologize and was glad to have my only friend back. After a few excited minutes and some suggestions on what to wear (mostly my clothes) to her first date with Peter, I hung up and went to help my mother make dinner.
“What’s for dinner?” I asked. “I wish…” I began. I was going to say “we were having lasagna,” my favorite food, but my mother cut me off.
“Be careful what you wish for, Caitlynn,” she warned.
“'Cuz it just might come true?” I finished for her. “Believe, Mother, I know.” She looked confused for a moment, but then went back to making dinner. It was not lasagna. Did I really want to take advantage of all this? I don’t want to be an all powerful dictator with the world at my fingertips. It seems like cheating. Everyone else has to work hard to succeed and all I have to do is wish? It’s just not fair. It’s not like they have a choice. Do you really think Rico would voluntarily put Dad’s dirty gym sock in his mouth just because I wished he would? No way. And I could make people do things like that. I could wish people would kill themselves, and they would. It was like a backwards Ella Enchanted. Instead of being choice-less, I was choice-full, and I held the potential future of the world on my little 10th grade shoulders. Okay, this is scaring me. When I got this wishing power, did I get enhanced thoughts or something? I never used to be so philosophical. Great, now I’m using huge words, too.

~*~

With every new day that passed, I scared myself more and more. I found myself wasting my power making people do stupid things and then forget it ever happened. I felt like I was losing sight of what was important. I had to have been given this gift for a reason other than making bullies dance around like little undignified cows. No offense to cows.
I had found no limit on my power. So far, anyway. I hadn’t wished for anything huge- my biggest wish had been for Sandry. I felt guilty for not helping the people of the world. But what would happen if I wished that there were no more world hunger? Would I upset the balance of the world or something? Would there be a domino effect or what? I could change the world.
And yet, I did absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nada. Diddly-squat. The angel on my shoulder lectured me each day, adding more guilt to my already guilty-enough conscience. You need to help people, Caitlynn. You have an opportunity that no one has ever had before in history. You can change the world, make a difference. And yet, you are using this only for your own good. It’s fine that you want to help yourself, but can’t you be generous?
Leave me alone, I told Miss Wings. Just leave me alone! What am I supposed to do? Just wish the world would be a happy place where everyone eats rainbows and poops butterflies?
Maybe, the invisible, intangible angel said softly. What happens when your power runs out? She did have me there. It’s become too much of a crutch for you. What will you do when all of a sudden none of your wishes come true anymore?
I won’t lose my power, I thought defiantly. If thoughts can even be defiant.
It’s your power, all yours, the devil snarled, well, devilishly, evilly. Use it for whatever you want. His tone was enticing and alluring, entrancing, trying to lure me into the depths of Hell.
I didn’t want to do what the devil on my shoulder said, but I didn’t want to do what the angel said either. Even though he hadn’t said as much, I knew if I let the devil know I was listening to him, he’d put ideas of world chaos in my head. And before I realized it, I would have wished to destroy the world. So what does Miss Procrastinator Caitlynn do? I ignored both of them. Maybe this wishing thing wasn’t all I’d thought it was. What if it was a curse, instead of a gift?
Be careful what you wish for… my mother’s voice echoed in my head. You just might get it.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Just.wanna.be.Me said...
i loved it :) good job

MercyChristine replied...
Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:34 am :
thanks so much!

wilderose121 said...
aw... this is so sweet! I love this! 5/roses to you! and update