My New Life

Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves somewhere else and hates her new life, the story is based on her making fun of her neighbor's different ways. The plot of my story has nothing to do with the show, but the idea did come to me from that show.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

The return of Carly

I waited anxiously around the house, walking back and forth, pacing up and down the stairs, waiting, just waiting for my mom to come in that bright yellow taxi cab and see me for the first time, my father said that she had resurrected out of her possessed body and that she had become normal again, but we had to make sure she took her medicine, because if she did not, she would go crazy again. He also mentioned that she might not remember us the first second she sees us and that she might not even
Return of Carly :(
know where she is but we have to tell her the whole story without mentioning the part that she is crazy, and that I could not say the word “crazy” around the house anymore. This was going to be hard, but my mother resurrecting was the best thing that ever happened, and it was worth everything.
I finally heard a knock on the door and sprang up off of the couch; I had been reading a seventeen magazine that my father had subscribed me to. I fluffed my skirt, the pillows, fixed my hair, and was ready to say hello to my mother for the first time.
It was Grayson, and he said he had come to help me through this period of time, and also to keep me company, I just smiled a slight smile, he knew that I thought he had been my mother, but he came in anyways and wanted to make me less tense and actually ready for when she came.
He read my magazine with me, and pointed out a couple of things that his older sister always talked about, his older sister was in college but they had once been extremely close to each other.
My dad walked down the stairs and jumped at the sight of Grayson, he scratched his neck,
“Holy cow, sonny, I didn’t see you there.” I had never heard him talk like this before, I think it was because my mother used to talk like that, and he was practicing for her. All this waiting was messing us up and tearing us apart and jolting us in every which way opposite direction.
“Oh, sorry about that Mr. Canopy,” yes, it is about time you have learned me last name, Canopy, like what you would lay down in under the bright shining sun of Wyoming and read your brand new book from the new book store down the street with. It was the kind of last name that reminded me a lot of Wyoming.
“It’s fine, don’t worry about it, I’m just really tense about Carly coming home and all.”
“Don’t worry sir; I am sure everything will turn out just fine.” He smiled at me, looked down, and kissed my cheek again, and then we went back to reading the magazine.
“I miss my Carly,” My father said this right after Grayson kissed me on the cheek. I felt awful, because I knew that he used to kiss Carly on the cheek all the time.
“She is coming soon,” Was all Grayson could say, I could tell this was a little bit awkward for him to be talking about so we went back to reading the magazine again.
“I want to buy a dog, I will be right back.” He threw on his fleece brown jacket off of the only coat hanger that I knew had still existed in the houses of La Jolla and opened the door.
“Dad, just wait, she is coming, and be patient.” I said this right before he stepped out the door, he looked to me, looked to the door, and then looked back to me, as if he were making a huge decision, like on those game shows, where you don’t know which answer to choose, but one will win you one million dollars.
He opened the door all the way and walked out without even closing the door, he knew he had just made the wrong decision, but I knew that he needed some time to catch his breath. I told Grayson I would be right back and chased after my father in my short dress, leggings and ballet flats, as you can tell, a lot of people wear ballet flats these days.
I chased after my father, I chased after him as fast as I possibly could, but he had gotten a thirty second head start, he would have to be in the pet store for at least thirty minutes before choosing a dog anyways, but I still jogged the mile to get to the pet store, my dad was beginning to go crazy.
I finally landed right before the pet store, bent over, breathing heavily, trying to catch my breath, and almost sweating. It had been at least fifty degrees outside but it certainly was not warm, it felt like sixty nine.
I walked into the pet store after I had caught my breath and found my dad. He was crying, looking at a puppy. I tapped him on the shoulder; he turned around and said,
“I can’t do this, what if she really is crazy again and kills us all? What if she’s dead and has been dead for a while and we are just getting a phony of her?” He had been crying for the first time in my life,
“Dad, Carly is going to be okay, it might take some time to get used to her, but it might be just like raising a newborn, we have to teach it everything first and then once it gets used to everything, we will be one big family again.” I felt a tear roll down my eye and hoped my mascara was not bleeding out.
“I trust you, and I hope you are right,” I took his hand after he said this and walked him back to the house. I felt a buzz in my pocket when we were about five minutes away from the house, it said,
“I think Carly’s cab is here, but I am not sure if it knows which house is yours.”
I ran back to the house, which took about two minutes, and then I washed myself off really quickly, we caught our breaths and we were all ready to greet Carly.

Carly walked in through the door, she looked confused, she had brown, short hair, just like mine, and she was wearing a long dress with heels. She had with him a large suite case, but only one. A yellow sun hat was held in her hair that went along just perfectly with her peach dress. She saw me, me, and she smiled.
“Ashley?” She smiled so incredibly wide and cried, I ran up to her
“Mom, you remember me?” Our hug lasted for at least two minutes, and my dad stood there, awkwardly hoping that my mom would remember him.
I let go of the hug, I saw a large black smudge from the side of my nose, and my mascara was ruined. I went to the restroom to fix it, but it took about two seconds, when I came out, my father was still standing there, hoping my mom remembered him. She looked at him, confused, but then all of a sudden, a light bulb went on in her head, and she smiled,
“William?” This was my dad’s name, he did not like it at all, but when Carly said this, my dad smiled as wide as I have ever seen him smile before, and they cried and hugged each other for about five minutes.
“I missed you,” She said, and they let go of the hug.
Grayson stood there; he was standing awkwardly, smiling. He was confusing my mom.
“Oh dear, did I have two children dear?” Carly looked worried,
“I am Ashley’s boyfriend.” He smiled
“Oh, very nice to meet you young man,” They shook hands
We sat on the couch together for the next five hours discussing what had happened. She looked confusing during some of the parts, but she then remembered them later on. My dad was the happiest I had seen him for ten years, or more. The thing that both my dad and I had hoped was that my mother would stay this way.
My mother tucked me into bed that night, oh how happy I was to have her there. To have her no longer crazy, I was so incredibly happy.
The next morning, she had prepared us breakfast, but it was not very good, like my father had said, “She didn’t know the difference between salt and sugar.”
All things were going well with my mother for about a month and a half, until one day she came back from her new job, and not only was she stoned, but she was drunk as well.
She slammed open the door, smiled, fell on the ground, and then walked into the kitchen, she smelt awful.
“Hey honey boo,” She either meant to say her nick name for my dad which was honey boo or she meant to scare my father and say hey honey. I was scared of her, but most of all, I feared me father’s disappointment. If she became crazy again, I was afraid my dad would practically commit suicide, literally, if he found that my mother had turned crazy again.
I watched from a peek in the stair well on top of the stairs, so that they couldn’t see or hear me but I could both see and hear them.
“Guess what?” My mother messily grabbed my father’s front part of his jeans, if you know what I mean, he looked surprised, and pulled her hand away, he knew what was happening.
“Honey, now is not the time, I have to make dinner.” He said this in the kindest way possible
“But I wanted to do it tonight.” I stuck out my tongue, this was disgusting. My father smiled and said,
“Maybe tomorrow,” He didn’t want her because she was drunk, she wanted her because he had only loved her, and he wanted her when she actually wanted him, and it was not because of the alcohol.
“But I wore my special undies tonight.” Carly took off her jeans right in the middle of the kitchen, she was wearing lace panties. My father looked down at her and repeated what he had said, “But I even brought protection!” Carly screamed
My dad was scared, and he knew it was either have “fun” with her or watches her go crazy, so, after I went to bed that night, as they thought I had gone to bed, I watched from the stairwell or what they were really doing.
He actually had “fun” with her, but it was not because he loved her this time, it was because it was this or let her go crazy. I walked back up to my room after I saw what they were doing, and I didn’t want to describe any of it, even though I was eighteen.
I went to sleep that night feeling guilty for my father. My poor father, he had loved Carly so much, but the next morning I found out that Carly had gotten an STD from someone in the crazy home, and that my father now had it. I felt so horrible for him, so incredibly horrible for him, I could not bear it. I had to kick my mother out of my house, she had to leave, now, she was ruining my life, and my father’s.
She got home that night with a wide smile on her face, and she was even more drunk and stoned than she was the night before. She wanted to do it again with my father, but right as she was asking, I ran down the stairs. I knew what I had to do.
“Mom, get out of here, you are half stoned to death and wasted out of your minds, my father loves you, not he drugs and alcohol, get out of here” I said this in a much different way, my father told me later, but this is what I remember saying.
“You,” The rest of the sentence was all cussing words, and she came over to me, slapped me across the face, pushed me to the ground, and left, just like that. She had no cab, no cell phone, no money, and no clothes in a suite case, but my father would bring it to the hotel in which she said she was staying at tomorrow.
“Thank-You,” my father said this in way that I could not tell was sarcasm or not, but I knew that he would not be able to tell Carly himself, so I had to do it for him.
“You’re Welcome,” this was the only thing I could say to that.

It turned out that my mother was never meant to live with us, and also that my dad could never have “fun” again in his life because of my selfish mother. I hated her for the rest of my life; she was the only salty family member.
Grayson cheered me up, and he also told me that he could see it in her eyes the first seconds that he met her, but he felt I had to figure it out on my own.
My father found someone else later on, but they never did anything nasty, they were just there for each other, and they each had an STD so that they could to it, but it would only do badly for each of them. We all ended up living together as a family, and Grayson and I never broke up, but to this day, he hasn’t asked me to marry him, I don’t know where things will lead us, I know I am on the right track, but for now, I am a sugar, Grayson is a sugar, I am surrounded by sugars, and at least I know the difference between salt and sugar.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

This book has 8 comments. Post your own now!

zadiekatie23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, this looks like a cool book! When I get a chance, I'll try to read it. I love the cover!!! :)

RunningFree said...
Please comment on this, I need a link back to the story and then I'll read some more, haha, yeah, bye.

Jellybeann replied...
i would really appreciate it if you would read my work, it would mean the world to me. Even if it's only the summary. Thanks :)

savetheplanet said...
It's a good storyline, and I really like it.  But nothing happens really in your story, and it doesn't feel resolved at the end.  I mean you have an ending but it happened so abruptly it didn't feel right.  But your story has so much potential!  Keep writing! :D

I.Just.Wanna.Be.Me.Lovee replied...
It looks so good!

SN3RD replied...
Besides for the few grammar mistakes, it looks good. Want to return the favor and check me out? I wrote Hunter's Point and Perspective

Jellybeann replied...
Thanks! Yes, I know I really do need to work on my grammar. That's the ONLY part I dislike about writing, and writer's block.... hopefully I willl grow out of that stage and enjoy editing just at much as writing.

Ghrenqi replied...
to me, editing is a part of writing, it's the final step to making your work a masterpiece. It is an essential part that if you don't do, will make the work look like slop.