My New Life

Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: The idea originated from a new show on ABC entitled Suburgatory, about a new teenager that moves somewhere else and hates her new life, the story is based on her making fun of her neighbor's different ways. The plot of my story has nothing to do with the show, but the idea did come to me from that show.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Getting used to the new life

By the time I unpacked everything, I was time to go to school the next day. I spent that entire day going school shopping for supplies, and made sure it did not have the sign, “authorized retailer” on it. I walked in; bought everything I needed, and was out in about an hour or so. I was rushed, then I drove back home as quickly as I could and put all of my school supplies together. Yes, it was a difficult process, and I am a new driver, so you could say I may have ran a light or so, but besides
Unpacking "I'm Min-get" Salt and sugar
that, I was a totally safe driver.
I was finished putting all of my school supplies together by eight o’clock that night, it was a rush to get finished then too, and then I ate my dinner and took a shower. I just relaxed until about ten thirty when I figured I should sleep.
The next day was a little hard, figuring out where I was and which classes belonged where. Luckily, Christen showed me around or else I would have been completely lost for the next four days. She showed me exactly where all of my classes belonged.
School was not interesting at all, not one thing in that science class amused me, and except for how the teacher’s beard moved up and down every single time he talked. It made me laugh for half a second in class and I kept smiling every time I looked at his beard, my eyes just would not go off of his beard until he called on me,
“And how does sublimation occur with ice on a snowy mountain in Lake Tahoe and how does this compare to condensation of water vapor when you get out of the shower?” I had no idea what he was talking about. I just made a random guess,
“The ice will melt because it observes the energy around it, and condensation happens when the atoms and molecules are taken enough energy away from themselves that they turn into more of a liquid than anything.” I tried to sound as smart as possible, smiling and I acted as if I knew it was the right answer
“Correct!” I was really surprised when that word came out from above his beard. I liked the word because it looked even funnier when he was saying it, his r made his lips go into an oval shape, and it also made him seem like a pirate.
At home, I did my homework in complete silence for one of the first times in a while. It was completely silent though, no dogs barking, no texts, no music, no old ladies pounding on my door, no wasted ice cream truck men, no crying children, no teens my age coming up to the door, complete silence, and then I reconsidered that fact when I heard a knock on the door, again.
I walked down the stairs with a huff and puff in each step, my dad called it pouting, but I just called it being annoyed. Christen was at the door again, and she wanted to talk to me upstairs in my room. It seemed like it was urgent, so I allowed her access to it.
“Ok so, wait-“She walked over to my desk and picked up my paper that I had been doing notes on for science, “you actually take notes in science class? You know Mr. Humphrey literally says the entire book in a class period, and he repeats everything every single class.” She picked up the papers that contained my notes and read them to her, her lips mouthing each word she was reading,
“I don’t really need them; I’m just practicing my handwriting is all.” I snatched the papers from her and threw them in the trash.
“Well, you have bad handwriting, I can only imagine what it looked like before you were practicing, and do you have any gum?” Christen turned out to be really annoying and obnoxious.
“First of all, why did you come to my house in the first place?” I picked up my purse and scavenged through it in hopes to find some gum to shut her up,
“I just wanted to tell you something real quick.” She walked over to me, whispered really lightly, snatched the gum as well, and walked downstairs, to the door and outside back to her house.
I put the words together, put she was not really good at whispering, I heard something like,
“I’m min-get” and that did not make any sense what so ever. I kept trying to put the pieces together and then realized what she had said, and it was something quite disturbing, but what she had meant to say was,
“I am a lesbian.” No wonder she was in such a rush to get out of my house so quickly. No wonder she had snatched the gum and whispered in my ear, I always thought something was up with her, but my biggest fear out of them all was that she liked me.
The next day at school, I confirmed what she had said, and she didn’t deny it. Then I asked her if she had liked me, crossing my fingers behind my back to pray to God that she didn’t. And those crossing of the fingers worked, because she didn’t, or at least I hoped she hadn’t lied. Do girls do that to girls just like girls do it to guys? I just went with no, because it was high school and no immature person lied about who they liked, because the faster you admit it, the more lifetimes you have to decide who you truly want to be with.
I remembered a story about this girl once and her entire life, she denied that she had ever liked anyone, she just straight up denied it. She went through her entire life with guys asking her out, because she was told in the story to be a really beautiful girl. She denied everyone of liking anyone, until one day when she turned fifty years old, a man came up to her and asked to marry her, and she accepted. It turned out that he had been her soul mate for life, and it got me to wondering that maybe you should wait until you are fifty to find your soul mate. Maybe you really shouldn’t ever admit to liking someone, but if that was true, then I was long past expired. I had had three boyfriends in the past.
You could say I felt bad about crossing my fingers and hoping that she didn’t like me, because don’t you always want someone to like you? For me I view it as a video game, and every person that likes you, you gain bonus points and you can use them, not the person but the points, I would flirt with them and then see what they were like when they liked me, I got a kick out of it until I realized it was wrong to do so at the end of seventh grade, because people actually thought that I had liked them back and that their fairy tale ending would end with me dating them for the rest of their lives, but I only have one life, at least only one life that I know about right now, so I have to make the right moves with the right people.
I decided to walk around my neighborhood so that people could look at me and acknowledge me as the new girl in the neighborhood, but instead, everyone was too busy on their own with planting seeds in their garden or chasing down their kid so that a car didn’t run over them, or talking on the phone or doing anything but just relaxing. I decided to finish by running back to my house when a small child came up to me and gave me a hug. I couldn’t figure out why he had done so until I realized that it was the small boy I had given the ten dollars to.
My father made his delicious meat loaf with a side of vegetables; it is my favorite meal that he makes me by far. He always adds a tint of a pile of salt on the side because he knows that I love it, and whenever he adds the salt he says,
“At least I can tell the difference between salt and sugar.”
If you haven’t figured it out by now, that is his catch phrase, and it has taught me a lot ever since I was a small child. It taught me the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, and the difference between my mom and my dad, my mom, who was crazy, and my dad, who was a two in one package, I could ask him about anything and he could tell me advice and he knew practically everything because he earned a master’s degree in science. He was always telling me about the molecules in liquids VS solids VS gases. Now that I think of it, that was just how I answered the question my science teacher, Mr. Humphrey asked me.
I had asked my dad many times before if I could be homeschooled, and each time he told me no. These were his reasons why: because he would have to pay for all of my books, I would not make any new friends over the years, I would only gain the knowledge that he contained (which I honestly think is more than all of my teachers combined), and because he did not have the time.
I asked him again that night at the dinner table, but he said no because I had apparently made a new life and he wanted me to try it out, and if I really didn’t like it, then I had to promise to maintain all of my friendships, but I had to be the most popular person in school in order to be home schooled, so that option was completely taken out of my wants. How could you be the most popular person at school if you didn’t even go to the school?
My dad was full of little mysteries like these. But his salt and sugar story was his famous one, he made it more interesting because I know the difference between good and bad, but you can’t actually tell which one is which until you try it. This is what my dad taught me, that I need to be careful, so that I don’t have to be already skin deep in the relationship when I realize they are the salt. Even though my dad knows I love salt, compared to sugar, salt it a burdened, and even I know that.
My father also taught me that at the end of the day, you could tell the salts from the sugars because the sugars still remained, the salts were those “friends” who took advantage of you, and when you told them who you liked at school, they would tell everyone, then you would be left with either denying it or moving along with the day and ending up going out with them, but the more people who know, the worse the situation gets.
I had tried doing it once in the kitchen, taking salt and sugar and mixing them together, only if you looked really closely could you see the salts because they were clear, and you could easily move through them, but the good people in life were hard to get through, it was the same with deaths, when someone died that was not a good person, you hardly see it, but when a white grain of sugar kind of person passes away, you will always see it in your life, and it will never really disappear. I tried mixing them together and then tasting it, it had two tastes, sugary and salty, and reminded me of a chocolate pretzel, but it also reminded me of at school how you can have to different views, sometimes it can be a really sweet view, and sometimes a salty one. They are all mixed together and each person takes on the two different flavors differently, they either only focus on the sugar or only focus on the salt, the ones who focus on the sugar are always much happier.
This was a main lesson in life that my dad had tried to teach me, because it worked in practically every situation, the sweet and the salty, and it actually helped me solve a lot of problems in my life the correct way.
Anyways, as I was about to sleep that night, that was what was on my mind. And you know how you dream of what you had been talking about the day before, and that dreams are a direct reflection of your mind? At least this is what my dad had told me, but I had a dream that two white blobs had walked up to me, one of them slapped me, and another hugged me, it was a strange dream in deed, but it was so incredibly easy to figure out, just like me.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

zadiekatie23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, this looks like a cool book! When I get a chance, I'll try to read it. I love the cover!!! :)

RunningFree said...
Please comment on this, I need a link back to the story and then I'll read some more, haha, yeah, bye.

Jellybeann replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:03 pm :
i would really appreciate it if you would read my work, it would mean the world to me. Even if it's only the summary. Thanks :)

savetheplanet said...
It's a good storyline, and I really like it.  But nothing happens really in your story, and it doesn't feel resolved at the end.  I mean you have an ending but it happened so abruptly it didn't feel right.  But your story has so much potential!  Keep writing! :D

I.Just.Wanna.Be.Me.Lovee replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:06 pm :
It looks so good!

SN3RD replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm :
Besides for the few grammar mistakes, it looks good. Want to return the favor and check me out? I wrote Hunter's Point and Perspective

Jellybeann replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm :
Thanks! Yes, I know I really do need to work on my grammar. That's the ONLY part I dislike about writing, and writer's block.... hopefully I willl grow out of that stage and enjoy editing just at much as writing.

Ghrenqi replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm :
to me, editing is a part of writing, it's the final step to making your work a masterpiece. It is an essential part that if you don't do, will make the work look like slop.