Music Lover

Author's note: My music is my refuge, and my headphones are my protection from hearing things that I don't want...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My music is my refuge, and my headphones are my protection from hearing things that I don't want to hear. But there is a difference between escaping for a time, and locking yourself inside your own head.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

headphones off

Morning classes have never taken so long, and when lunch break arrives, he can’t help but look around the cafeteria.
He surprises himself when he actually finds David, who is sitting at a crowded table, immersed in an animated conversation. Asher watches them for a little while.
Then David looks up, and somehow manages to meet Asher’s eyes from all the way across the room. He waves cheerily, and Asher can’t help but offer a wave of his own, albeit less energetic. Then, David gathers up his things, and his tray, and makes his way across the cafeteria floor. Asher just watches him with a flabbergasted expression.
“Hey,” David greets him.
“What are you doing here?” Asher hisses.
“We agreed that we’d talk again yesterday,” David says as if it’s the most obvious thing in the world.
“But what about your friends?” Asher asks.
“Oh, they’ll be fine without me,” David assures him, waving it off. Asher mentally begs to differ. He looks over to the table David has just left, and sees David’s friends throwing him strange looks and talking amongst themselves.
David sits down, oblivious, and proceeds to munch on his slice of pizza.
“More importantly, have you done today’s math homework?” he asks. Asher nods slowly, still having trouble adjusting to the sight of someone else eating at his table. David swallows his mouthful of food. “Great, could I copy it?” Asher is about to just nod again, when he realizes what David’s just asked.
“Why?” he asks.
“I didn’t do it. You lied to me, you said the chapter we were covering was easy,” David accuses.
“But it is,” Asher replies. David shakes his head.
“No it’s not. Please just let me copy yours?” he pleads. “I’ll let you come over to my house if you do.”
“Wait, what?” It shouldn’t be possible for so many different things to happen at once. David is looking at him with an expression that practically repels refusal. “Fine, you can copy it,” Asher sighs. “But just this once.”
He winds up whispering advice to David all throughout their math class. The moment the bell rings, David stands up and smiles at him.
“You want to call your mom or something?” he asks. Asher gives him a tired look.
“Why would I want to do that?”
“Because you’re coming over to my house,” David repeats.
“You were serious about that?”
“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”
“I…don’t know.” Every routine aspect of his school life is being altered; he supposes there is no point in being surprised anymore. David ushers him towards the bus, but Asher can’t help but dig his feet into the ground a little when he hears David say,
“I can’t wait till my mom meets you.”
“Why?” Asher asks. David laughs a little, poking him in the ribs.
“She’s going to stuff you like a turkey, seeing how thin you are. Now come on, the bus’s leaving soon.”
It’s a very short trip; only two stops. David herds Asher off the bus, and has to practically drag him to his house. He only has to knock once on the door before it’s opened.
“Welcome home David. Oh, you didn’t tell me you were bringing a friend.”
“Sorry Mom, this is Asher,” David says, patting him on the shoulder.
Asher tenses as David’s mother looks him over. He feels his stomach drop an inch or two when she frowns.
“You look like you need some cookies,” she declares.
“See? What’d I tell you?” David tells him triumphantly. Then he grabs Asher’s hand and pulls him towards the stairs. “Call us down when they’re ready,” he yells over his shoulder.
“She’s actually going to make cookies?” Asher questions dubiously.
“Yeah, she is,” David says, grinning. “And here’s my room.” It’s messy, like Asher expected. He almost trips, one foot tangling in a discarded sweat jacket. The floor is covered completely by a layer of odd things. “You can sit on the bed if you’d like,” David offers. “The floor’s a bit of a danger zone.”
Asher decides the description fits remarkably well as he almost steps on a plastic figurine, and then sits down. David has opened his closet door and is shoving things into it in an effort to clear out some floor space. Asher takes the opportunity to survey the natural habitat of his very unique new friend.
There are posters of music bands everywhere. The desk is a mess of notebooks and binders. What really catches his eyes however, are the electric and acoustic guitars beside it.
“You play?” he can’t help but ask. David looks up from his impromptu cleaning.
“Oh, yeah,” he says, dropping the armful of junk he had been attempting to cram into the already stuffed closet. He walks over to the instruments, scrubbing his hands off on his pants before picking up the electric guitar carefully. “It took me ages of begging and kowtowing to my mom though. These things are expensive.” He lifts the strap over his head and turns it on. He plays out a chord, then another. Then he flashes a cheeky grin at Asher and starts playing.
It’s a One Street Over song, a rock ballad. After a little while, Asher starts humming along, and then he begins to sing. David looks up at him in surprise, but doesn’t stop playing. It turns out they both have the entire song memorized. When they finish, David is grinning like a maniac.
“That was great; your voice isn’t bad at all,” he says excitedly. Asher shrugs. “Neither is your smile,” David adds, and Asher gives a start, before he turns away self consciously. “Aw, don’t hide it, it looks good on you,” David laughs. “Let’s play another one, what others do you know?”
“David!” David’s mother calls from downstairs. Asher winces, feeling guilty. They were being pretty loud.
“Yes mom?” David calls back.
“Turn up the volume; I can’t hear you that well.”
Rather than walking home, he rides the bus with David. Rather than sneaking food from the refrigerator late at night, he eats at a table with David and his mother. It seems so natural, and Asher doesn’t wear his headphones at all.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

This book has 5 comments. Post your own now!

Ianultraman said...
Jul. 28, 2015 at 11:39 am
_Beautiful story!_

DreamAngel said...
I loved this so much. Please keep working on it.

AisuP said...
Please continue! 

KimenSnow said...
I like it.

Jensam This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much for your compliment.  It really means a lot.  (^_^)