New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

You and I

Author's note: This issue seems to come up in high school all the time. There isn't a day when a friend won't...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This issue seems to come up in high school all the time. There isn't a day when a friend won't talk about his or her issue regarding this topic. Whether they are currently harboring these bittersweet secrets or not, it's a topic that people can relate to.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

The Proof

The first few weeks of school passed. It was wonderful. I was with my friends, I was with him. We were all happy and wonderful. It was a great time. All those feelings of doubt I had in my head all summer, had disappeared.
Then the sophomore welcome dance came around. It was a very casual dance, it was more like to have fun and enjoy ourselves. During certain songs, I had gone off and chilled with some of my other friends. But through the corner of my eyes, I knew where my mind was set. It was set on him. And from those same eyes, I saw him laughing and dancing and going crazy. He had a friend with him too.
I couldn’t tell if I was jealous. I couldn’t understand what I was feeling. I didn’t know how I would react to what was about to come at me. But during other songs, we danced together. We had more great moments to add to our list of good times. And then all my other thoughts had just drifted away.

Two days had passed since the dance. We were all in math class, but our teacher was absent that day. Of course, our teacher’s absence meant that we would all sit wherever we desired to sit. I sat next to him. He seemed rather excited. He seemed like he was about to burst out in happiness.
“Clearly you have something you want to share.”
“Guess what?!” I recognized this tone in his voice. I knew where this was headed. But I couldn’t believe it.
“What?” I tried my best to match his tone
“Okay, so remember that dance we had two days ago. Well this girl and I danced to one of the songs. It was really great. And I think she really likes me. I think I’m going to make my move.” I hated it. I hated how he had to end what he had to say. It meant that I would have to answer him. I wasn’t given enough time to answer him. How would I answer him.
I didn’t want to answer him. I was devastated. I was disappointed. Talk about major leading on. Everything was on the line here. A friendship of many years. A trust. A future.
So I didn’t answer him. Instead I started working on proving a geometry problem. To make myself look busy, I asked my friend to the left of me, how she proved the problem. She looked at me, and she said that she couldn’t prove it, not even with all the theorems. It just wasn’t possible to prove. I tried to hide the embarrassment in my cheeks from what he had told me, by trying to find some theorem to prove the problem. But even I couldn’t prove it. It was impossible.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

ani70 said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm:
pleaseee comment!!!