You and I

Author's note: This issue seems to come up in high school all the time. There isn't a day when a friend won't...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This issue seems to come up in high school all the time. There isn't a day when a friend won't talk about his or her issue regarding this topic. Whether they are currently harboring these bittersweet secrets or not, it's a topic that people can relate to.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Summer's End

Mid of August strolled in. In the mail, we had all gotten letters and schedules. We were given what classes we had, and who our teachers would be, and when we would have those classes. It was a rather jittery time for all of us. It was full of emotion. Would we be in the same classes? Would we have teachers who could actually teach?
In that week, it was all about the usual ritual. Constantly checking emails and our cells. It was call after call, message after message. I was lucky enough to have the majority of my friends to end up as my peers for our second year in high school.
The schedule in my hands for the twentieth time, he called. And like a crazy person, I stared at my phone. I just stared at it, while it vibrated and wiggled on my desk. Unbelievable. He was calling me after about two months or so. Then again, I hadn’t called him anytime either.
“Hey!” I sounded rather too enthusiastic.
“Hey, I haven’t talked to you in so long.”
“Well people get busy during the summer. Family stuff…and stuff.”
“Yeah. Oh my goodness! Read me your schedule!”
“Yeah okay.”
I had about 32 credits out of the recommended 30. It took me forever to read it. Because with each class, I could picture him going through his schedule and shaking his head.
“Well..?”
“Well we don’t have all our classes together.”
“Well isn’t that a bit obvious?”
“But…we have math, science and gym together!” That was good enough for me. That was more than good enough for me. That was superb for me! That was splendid for me! So there was some hope.
“This is great!”
“Yeah! It really is. I’m so glad we have more classes together than last year.”
“Yeah me too.” He laughed.
“When we’re in a class together, it always makes the class more fun. But I have to say, we do add influential ideas into the discussions.”
“Yes, that we do indeed.” I laughed. He laughed.
“So how was your summer?”
“Eh, not too bad. It was actually great.”
“Oh really now?”
“Yeah.”
“What you do?”
“Went here and there.”
“Oh.”
“Yeah, how about you?”
“Me? Um…I went here and there too. Finished up all that summer work though.”
“I still haven’t finished.”
“Well you should.”
“Geez, you sound like my mother.”
“I’ve heard that before.”
After that we talked nearly every single day. It was all really school related. More like me helping him out with the summer work. We ended up playing a few more rounds of that would you rather game before the last day of summer finally arrived.
The last evening of summer was picture perfect. The dragonflies were buzzing everywhere. The sky had become a lush blend of orange and hot pink and royal blue. The sun was diving behind my neighbor’s house. I was out playing badmitton with family friends. Then my pocket started going insane. It was my phone. It was him.
“What are you wearing tomorrow?”
“Well, I did get a couple of new t-shirts and one plaid shirt. So I might mix and match between those. But still wearing jeans.”
“You always wear jeans.”
“I love em.”
“Well I don’t know what to wear tomorrow.”
“Dude, you sound like a girl.”
“Hey, a very manly guy like myself can worry about first day of school clothes too, you know.”
“Well you have been worrying about that kind of stuff since forever.”
“Are you excited?”
“Of course. Sophomore year. No more being called a frosh.”
“Nobody ever called me a frosh. I deceived them.”
“Well, aren’t you lucky. Did you finish all your summer work?”
“Every bit of it. Just this afternoon.”
“That took you a long time.”
“I like to take my time, thank you very much.”
“Alright.”
“Can’t believe we’re starting another year of highschool.”
“Yeah, I know, it’s exciting.”
“I wonder what new adventures we might go through next.”
“If you mean love…then I’m not going through any of it.”
“By the way, have you wondered what might have become of us?”
“Well here we are, you and me, on the phone. It’s as good as it gets.” I couldn’t understand. I wanted to tell him. Yes, I have thought about it. In fact I spent my entire summer thinking about it. Where was my serious tone? What on earth?
“I guess so. Well. I hope you wear something blue tomorrow. We can coordinate.”
“See ya tomorrow!”
“Bye!”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

This book has 60 comments. Post your own now!

aud45450 said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:29 am
pretty good. nice metaphors. keep writing!

ani70 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:49 am
thanks! 

ani70 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:51 am
i tried to use symbols and metaphors in there. 

Sly3 said...
Nice story! Liked theending!  

ani70 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:33 am
thanks! 

ani70 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:53 am
yeah i really wanted the ending to kind of surprise people and kind of set my ending away from typical teenage love endings...

amandaranda said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:52 am
It's really good! You seem to have poured your emotions into this!!! Please continue writing!

ani70 replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:55 am
Thank you! I suppose this story is emotional I'm glad if these emotions were thoroughly expressed with you. Yes I am continuing to write more and more stories.

ani70 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 9:06 am
Do you think I should write a second part to this? Or leave it as it is?

ELM522 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's intriguing!!!  I like your wide variety of vocab.  Most young adult novels seem to be lacking that, so I find it refreshing.  Please post more of it!!!

ani70 replied...
wow thank you so much! yes, using new kinds of vocabulary that actually make sense is a good thing, so i try to do that. I will definitely be posting more. I'm writing two others stories. one is a second part to You and I and the other is a quite different then this story.
Please keep reading if i post more. Thank you so much for commenting. Very much appreciated!

urr8 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 7:49 am
I loved this story! Especially the ending. Most normal books you read have a happy ending but this one is so much more awesome and realistic!

ani70 replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

yay im glad this story appealed to you. yeah and i'm a strong believer that the ending is the most important piece of the book.

thanks so much!

ani70 replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 9:20 am
I'm in the process of writing two others, I hope you come back and read those as well!

sxzhg07 said...

nicee. i found the metaphors especially interesting and well-placed.

one thing though. in the dialogue with the phone conversation. you might want to add some description as to how they're both feeling. i know it's a phone conversation and all, but you could still put something like "i could feel my palms starting to get clammy" haha that was cheesy. but you get the idea. create atmosphere.

and also, make sure it's clear on who says what. i got a bit lost sometimes because there... (more »)

ani70 replied...
thanks so much for your comment. im glad you could identify the metaphors. haha :D
i will def take your advice regarding the phone call. looking back at it, i see what you mean. so thank you!

mikeyd said...
ths is so gd!!! esp the ending! keep writing!

ani70 replied...
thanks so much! yeah i mean...teenage love stories are sappy as they are. but they always end up the way you would want it to end up. this....well..this is my realistic twist on it.

ani70 said...
and pleaseee please please vote/rate it!!!

ani70 said...
pleaseee comment!!!