New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Pinky Promise

Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!
Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Next »

Katelyn

(October 19, Wednesday)
O
kay, as weird as this sounds, I like working on the farm. It’s calm, quiet, and peaceful. I mean, sure it’s hard work and all, but it still can be fun. Especially when I’m with Makenz. She’s always joking around. But I’ve only done it twice, and it wasn’t for a long time.
Sometimes, I play a little game with myself. I watch all the boys that I see and pretend that they are my secret admirer. I try to picture myself with them. Sometimes it’s
Tell me what you think!
a good picture, and sometimes it’s not. I hope that my secret admirer is Max. He is definitely the cutest of all the boys. And those eyes...

(October 20, Thursday)
It’s the next morning. “Hello? Katelyn? You Hoo!” Makenz is waving a hand in front of my face. “If you don’t hurry up and finish your breakfast we’re going to be late for school.”
“What? Oh! Sorry, I was just daydreaming.”
“Hey, maybe your secret admirer will have left something on your desk again this morning!”
“Maybe.” I say in between chewing my Frosted Flakes.
“Okay, are you done now? We have to leave.”
“Yes, I’m done. Yeesh. Let’s go.” We head out the front door and grab our lunches that Bernie makes every morning for us. To get to the schoolhouse we have to pass by the creek that runs from a big city in Texas. As we pass it, I spot something furry in the water, stopped on a log.
“Hey! What’s that? I think it’s a muskrat! And it looks hurt!” I call out to Makenz.
“Oh My Gosh! I think your right!” Makenz shouts in her Texas accent. She runs over to the animal with me right behind her. Somehow, I get there first.
“Oh, God. Makenz, come quick, it’s a puppy!” I shout, only to realize that Makenz is right behind me. “Get it out of the water!” I say, though I’m already on my hands and knees reaching for the puppy.
When I pull it out, I realize that it’s a chocolate lab. It’s teeny and shivering from the cold.
“Let’s take it to Dr. Adams, maybe he can help.” Makenz suggests.
* * *
(October 20, Thursday)
“Well, I think that he’s going to be alright.” Dr. Adams explains. “I’ve wrapped his paw in gauze, and if he starts biting on it, please tell him to stop. If he does it excessively, than we will have to go and see a real vet and get a cone to put on his neck so he won’t be able to bite his foot.”
“Okay, thank you so much Dr. Adams. This is very nice of you. How much?” I ask in my most grown up voice.
“Well, I have just one question for you. Are you keeping this dog?”
“Um…we’re going to ask my dad…” I say, just as he walks in.
“Girls? Why on earth weren’t ya’ll in school? I just went all the way to your school because Makenz forgot her inhaler to find out that you girls hadn’t shown up! Where have you been? I’ve checked every house for you. You are in big trouble!” I can see that he is fuming. Makenz and I share a nervous look.
“I-I’m really sorry dad. I mean- we found this puppy on the way to school.” I pointed to the dog whimpering on the table. “And we just had to help it. It was in the creek, so we brought it here, and Dr. Adams helped us.”
“Well, whatever the cost is, you girls are going to pay for.” I glance at Makenz as my father turns to Dr. Adams. “Doctor, what is the cost for this?”
“Well, I took an x-ray, which costs about 34 dollars for you, and the rest was just putting on gauze, which is free.” He says half-heartedly.
“Can we pay you back as soon as the girls get the money?”
“Yeah, that would be fine.”
“Okay, I think that we’ll do that. Girls, get outside now. I need to talk to Dr. Adams alone.” As we walk outside, we can hear Dr. Adams telling our father that it was all for the better, and that he should be proud of us for doing the right thing and saving the dogs life.
“Don’t worry, Ken, I got the money. I brought one hundred dollars with me. As long as he can make change, we’re good.”
“Oh, would you? I’m so sorry I don’t have any money...”
“It’s okay. I got it.” I confirm.
When we get to school, I find a small box in my desk, with my name on it. My dad talks to Mrs. Pinsetti, and explains why we’re late.
“Oh my! You found a puppy?” She exclaims.
“Sure did.” Makenz says. “Well, it was really Katelyn who found him. She saved him!”
I turn beet red and reply, “Makenz, you helped too.”
“It was all you.” She says.
“Look, Makenz. I found another box!” I whisper to her once we’re sitting.
“Open it at lunch!” She giggles.

We sit outside at lunch and I bring the box with me. It is in the shape of a heart and is pink. When I open the box, I find chocolates. They are the kind of chocolates that you don’t know what’s inside them. There is also a note. It says: Tomorrow night I will reveal my true identity to you, but only if you meet me in the back of the schoolhouse while the stars have just started lighting the sky. Love, your secret admirer.
We spend the rest of lunch watching all the guys, analyzing their reactions when they see me looking at them. No one seems overly suspicious.
When we get home at two, the end of the school day, Bernie is waiting with a smile on her face, a sleeping chocolate lab in her arms.
“Awww! How cute!” I shout.
“Shh! He’s sleeping!” Bernie whispers to me.
“Oh! Sorry!” I whisper back. “What are we going to do with him?”
“I think that it would be okay for you to keep him, Katelyn.”
“Keep him!” I shout with excitement, waking him up. “Sorry, sorry Creek.” I say leaning in to pet him. He jumps out of Bernie’s arms and lands on the ground in a powder of dust.
“Creek?” Makenz asks.
“Yeah…” I blush. “I want to name him that because we found him in the creek.” “Oh, that’s a great name for him.” She agrees.
“Sure is.” Bernie says. I lean down to scratch Creek’s back and rub behind his ears. I’m s excited, so I run upstairs and text Nickol:

Bunnyluv54: hey! Guess what? I got a puppy!
Nicki95: no way! What kind?
Bunnyluv54: chocolate lab. His name is Creek cuz I found him in the creek
Nicki95: cool! When did u find him?
Bunnyluv54:on our way to school so we were really late and my dad was really mad
Nicki95: uh oh not good my dad has been ignoring me l8ly I don’t know y
Bunnyluv54: he’s probably just really busy
Nicki95: probably
Bunnyluv54: don’t worry
Nicki95: im in class so I have to go. call me l8r
Bunnyluv54: kk bye luv u
Nicki95: luv u too

That night, Makenz goes and keeps watch while I go to meet my secret admirer.
Sneaking out it is almost too easy. Bernie and my dad are both snoring loudly and Makenz says that they sleep like rocks.
I get out of bed and creep towards the door. I’m already in clothes and have make-up on, but nothing on my lips. In case we kiss.
Once I get outside it is a piece of cake. I take the short walk to the back of the schoolhouse, passing the creek. I peer through the dark, trying to keep my balance in the weeds and long grass. I can see a figure in the dark, slouching on the wall.
Finally I am almost there. No one says anything. Then, my foot gets stuck on a root and I go flying right into the arms of my secret admirer.

WritingLoverForever said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 11:47 am:
Wow! One of the characters has my name (katelyn) and it's even spelled the same way! lol

Azrael said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm:
wait, if nickol is younger cuz u said she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997, how is nickol in ninth grade???im just super curious but i loved ur story great job

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm :
haha well if she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997 then nickol IS older by two years....think about it haha...but thanks, this is only chapter one so i hope you read the rest!:)