Pinky Promise

Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!
Author's note: This is something I wrote about two years ago, but tell me what you think!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next »

Nickol

(October 17, Monday)
“A
re you ready for your first day of school, Nickol? You look beautiful, sweetie.”
“Thanks, Sara. I’m really, really nervous.”
“Oh, sweets, you’ll do fine.”
“I hope so.”
“Do you want me to drive you to school in the limo, Nickol?” My dad calls from the living room. Sara and I are sitting at the kitchen table, and I’m wearing one of the outfits that I had bought with Sara yesterday. It was a green short-sleeved
Tell me what you think!
top and a pair of short jean shorts. I was also wearing my hair up the way that Sara taught me how to do. It was in a French braid twirled up around my head. I was wearing a pair of golden flip-flops, golden earrings, bangle bracelets, and a long necklace, all gold.
“No thanks. But don’t you have to call ahead to get it, anyway?”
“Honey, I’m Joe Mackey, I can get whatever I want when I want it.” He laughs.
“Sure, sure.” I answer. “Besides, I don’t want to attract attention.”
My dad walks into the kitchen. “I thought you liked to be the center of attention.”
“Only with people I know, not complete strangers.”
“Okay, you don’t have to, I was just offering.” He says, putting his hands in front of his face like a shield. I roll my eyes at him and swipe on a fresh cover of lip-gloss. “Is Sara driving you to school in the SUV?”
“Yeah…I think.”
“Of course I will!” Sara says, rejoining the conversation. “Actually, I think that we should leave now, so you can get there a little early.”
“Okay.” Sara and I walk outside and get in the car. When we get to the school, she kisses me on the cheek, whispers good luck, and shows me the main office. And now, I’m on my own.
I walk into the front office, head high, trying to look like I belong. Most people stare at me as I walk by, but I don’t look at them. When I get to the front office desk, I tell them my name.
“Oh! Hi Nickol. Let’s see…” She rummages around in a draw for a minute and then hands me a schedule. “Here’s your schedule. Find someone in your home room who’s in your next class so they can take you to your first class.” She tells me how to get to my homeroom, and ships me off into a world of strangers.

When I get into homeroom, I’m bombarded with stares from various kids. I can tell who is popular because they whisper in my general direction and laugh. I can tell who are nerds because they are too busy concentrating on writing who knows what to look at me. And I can tell who’s going to be nice enough to talk to me, which all just seem to be boys.
A guy with shaggy brown hair and a big smile walks up to me. He flicks his hair out of his eyes and I notice he’s wearing skinny jeans. And there purple.
Total skateboarder.
I gaze into his eyes, which look like a jungle. They are the prettiest eyes I have ever seen. There is green for the trees, brown for the mud, and blue for the rain. There are gold flecks that reminded me of the sun glinting off the blue water. As I watch, his eyes smolder, and they go almost completely blue and brown; the green gone.
“Whoa.” I say almost silently.
“Hey. I’m Taylor.” He says, while checking me out. He stops in the general direction of my boobs, and I bend down to look him in the eye.
“Hi. I’m Nickol.” He flushes red and brings his jungle eyes to my face, keeping them there, not allowing me to look away. I am dazzled. Now they are green without the brown.
“Uh…do you need help finding your first class?” He asks.
His buds in the back of the class laugh. Now I turn red. He ignores them, and looks at me for an answer.
“Sure. I’m going to room 105 for social studies.”
“Oh! Cool, so am I.”
Just then the bell rings to begin homeroom and a short sturdy women enters the room.
“Get in your seats!” she calls out.
I walk up to her desk and tell her that I’m here temporarily.
“Oh, hello. I’m Mrs. Venture. You’re Nickol?”
“Yes. Uh, where should I sit?”
“Well. Why don’t you sit right here.” She points to an empty seat towards the back, near a girl with short, pink hair and a nice smile.
“Okay.” I walk towards the seat and sit down.
“Hi! I’m Kelly. You must be Nickol.” The girl with the pink hair says.
“Yeah. I like your hair.”
“Thanks. I hear you have social studies first?”
“How did you hear that?” I ask.
“If you haven’t noticed, Taylor is kind of loud. And cute! He’s totally crushing on you.”
“I don’t know why.”
“Your new, your pretty, confident, what boy wouldn’t like you?” I feel the red seep up my cheeks.
“Thanks. What-” The bell cuts me off. Taylor gets up and heads in my direction.
“Off to social studies we go!” he cheers.
“Whoo-hoo.” I say sarcastically.
“Who peed in your coffee?” He asks as if we are old friends.
“I just want to go home. And see my sister.”
“Your sister?”
“Well, yeah, I’m here by myself because…because…I’m helping my dad, Joe Mackey, film his next movie.” I lie. I figure that if I tell a few white lies, I would become popular. And it’s not like a few little white lies here and there could hurt anyone, right?
“No way!” He says. “That’s awesome.”
“Sure, sure.”
* * *
(October 17, Monday)
I go to the bathroom during english to text Kate:

Nickol95: hey Kate
Bunnyluv54: hi hows school
Nickol95: good im in english u?
Bunnyluv54: good im doing math…boring…
Nickol95: =/ I have math next
Bunnyluv54: o. poor u
Nickol95: I no right
Bunnyluv54: gotta go gonna get caught
Nickol95: kk bye xoxo
Bunnyluv54: xoxo luv u

“Hey, Nickol, why don’t you sit with us and the guys at lunch?” Cameron, a popular girl whose been following me around like a puppy all day asks.
“Sure.”
“Your boyfriend will be there!” she squeals.
“He’s not my boyfriend.” I say hotly.
“He wants to be!”
“No he doesn’t.”
“Yeah huh. He asked me in art if I would ask you to sit with us.”
“You’re lying.”
“Not uh!” she protests, an honest look on her face.
“Okay, fine. Maybe he likes me a little.”
“And you like him back! Anyway…I heard you tell Taylor that your dad is Joe Mackey and you’re here helping him on his movie. That’s pretty cool. My mom’s famous, too.”
“Who is she?”
“That’s for me to know, and you not to find out.” This of course makes my very curious. “Most of the kids here have famous parents. Oh and by the way…a few years back my mom and your dad dated. So that makes us practically sisters.” She whispers icily in my ear. I wonder why she seems so upset about that. “But remember,” She continues, “It’s a secret.”

At lunch, I sit with a variety of popular girls and jocks. Cameron informs me that Taylor is the best guy on the football team and the quarterback, number 23.
“Hey, babe.” Taylor says to me. I blush again. I wonder if this is going to be a new habit for me.
“Hey.” I say. I sit in between him and Cameron, only to realize that I have to go and buy a lunch. “Cameron?” I ask.
She whips her head around from talking to her friend. “What.” She says angrily, like I’ve interrupted her or something.
“Will you come and show me how to buy a lunch?”
“Can’t you see I’m a little busy right now?” She says.
“Okay then.” I say to no one in particular. Then, Kelly comes up to me and says, “Come on. I’ll show you.”
“Thanks.” I say. We walk to the lunch line and I buy a pizza.
“Want to sit with me?” she asks, a sliver of hope in her voice.
“Sorry, I’m sitting with Taylor and Cameron.” I apologize.
“Right.” She says under her breath.
At the end of lunch, I walk into the bathroom to text Katelyn.

Nicki95: hey katie what up
Bunnyluv54: nuthin much how bout u
Nicki95: at lunch
Bunnyluv54: cool
Nicki95: whatcha learnin 2day
Bunnyluv54: bout the presidents algebra same old u?
Nicki95: nuthin much pre- calc
Bunnyluv54: call me l8r
Nicki95: kk xo
Bunnyluv54: xo
* * *
(October 18, Tuesday)
“Hey, Kate.” I say into the phone. It’s the next morning and I’m calling Kate as promised.
“Hi Nicki! Guess what!” She doesn’t give me a chance to reply. “My secret admirer gave me another note! It says: Every time I walk by you, my heart flutters, my eyes pop, my heart sings. Every time you speak, my ears ring, my heart grows, my ears tingle. Every time you meet my gaze, my eyes smile, my breath catches, my eyes won’t look away. Every time you’re here, my heart gushes, my heart gushes, my heart gushes, with the love I have for you. Isn’t that so romantic?!”
“Wow. That’s cool.” I hate to admit it to myself, but I am a little jealous. So I brag. “I went to school today, and this adorable guy is crushing on me. He’s tall, and funny, and sweet.” I sigh for good measure.
“Oh. Cool.” I can tell that I’ve bursted her bubble, and now I’m guilty. “How was school?” she asks.
“Good. I met this nice girl named Kelly and she has pink hair.”
“Pink?”
“Yup. It’s totally cool. How was your day at school?”
“Good.”
“So where was the note, anyway?”
And she goes off into a whole new story.

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

WritingLoverForever said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 11:47 am
Wow! One of the characters has my name (katelyn) and it's even spelled the same way! lol

Azrael said...
wait, if nickol is younger cuz u said she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997, how is nickol in ninth grade???im just super curious but i loved ur story great job

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
haha well if she was born in 1995 and katelyn in 1997 then nickol IS older by two years....think about it haha...but thanks, this is only chapter one so i hope you read the rest!:)