Red Popsicle Summers

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 23 24 25

Things Can Turn Out Good In The End

After Adam stalked off, I walked back with Max and said good bye.
I woke up the next morning with good thoughts in my head. I think Max and I will be okay after all this. It looks like it right now. I just keep fixing things and it feels good. Everything seems to back to the way I want them to be except for my relationship with Adam. I don’t know if that will happen though. He seems to really hate my guts. But Amy had just proved me right, hadn’t she? He should be over here right now apologizing but I will give him time.
But just as I was thinking that the doorbell rang and there Adam was on my doorstep. He was waiting for me on the same porch swing Max had been on, in the same spot. But this was Adam not Max and he was looking at me apologetically.
“I’m really sorry Hannah. Can you ever forgive me?”
“Well Adam, I don’t know what to say. I’m biting back saying I told you so because I know that’s really mean. But I want to say it so badly.”
“Go ahead, I deserve it.”
“No you don’t. You were as mesmerized by Amy as any guy is and she really fooled you. You didn’t know her like I do. It’s not your fault. It’s her I should be mad at, and I am.”
“I’m mad at her too.”
“Well it’s nice to know we have something in common.”
“Yeah, Hannah, do you think we could still be friends?”
“Yeah I would like that. It seems everyone is my friend these days. It’s not necessarily a bad thing.” I said with a smile.
“I’m really sorry about calling you a whore, you’re not one. Amy had just been really getting to me. I treated everyone like crap and I’m sorry. It was uncalled for.” He looked deep into my eyes and I could tell that he really meant what he said.
“It’s really okay. I understand. I once thought Amy was a good person too but she never really was one. And I doubt with the way she’s growing up, she ever will be.”
“Yeah,”
“Adam, thank you for coming over and talking. I really appreciate it.”
“Any time Hannah.” He said and got up of the swing. “Well I have a baseball game to get to.”
“Okay, I wish you luck!”
“Thanks! Bye!”
“Bye.” I said and walked back inside.
My mom was sitting on the couch pretending not to listen but she totally was.
“Mom! You eavesdropper!”
“I thought I did a good job hiding it.” She said smiling at me. “I see your problems have been solved?”
“Yeah, they all have and life is looking up.”
“I’m glad. I love you Hannah. I just wanted you to know that.”
“I do mom. I really do. And I love you too.”
I went back up to my room and called Katie, to fill her in on all the things that had happened. She celebrated with me and sent me a hug through the phone. After hanging up I went to work on my homework.

I woke up Monday morning and put on an Aqua sleeveless top, a white cardigan and dark wash jeans. I pulled my hair up into a messy ponytail and passed up my make up drawer. I wanted to be all natural today. I walked downstairs and entered the kitchen to my surprise my mom made blueberry pancakes and placed two on a plate for me. I greedily dug in and then rushed up stairs to brush my teeth and grab my brown bag and then met my mom at the car.
We drove to school and I hopped out meeting Max on the steps. We walked in together and it felt just like the first day of school to me. No problems, walking with Max, it was all so familiar. I stopped at my locker and grabbed my science book and then met Max at his.
“Hey Alicia.” I said walking up beside Max’s locker.
“Oh hey Hannah.” She said happily. “I’m so glad you and Max aren’t mad at each other anymore. Now we can all hang out.”
“Yeah we can.” I said thoughtfully. “What do you guys have planned for Halloween?”
“I don’t know yet. But we should all go together.”
“Definitely.”
The bell rang so we all walked to homeroom. Alicia left us two doors down from Max and I’s room.
The day went by fast and soon it was already lunch. I sat down at Max’s table for the first time in so long, a month I think. It felt weird but good at the same time. The girls followed me and sat down at the table too. We were all squished and finally someone came up with the idea to connect two tables together and so we did that. Alicia joined us too and we discussed plans for Halloween.
“So we should all go together, don’t you think?” I said.
“I think so.” Max said.
“Yeah but where should we go?” Emily asked.
“What do you mean where? We all live in the same neighborhood. So we go in that neighborhood.” I said.
“Right. I forgot we all live so close. I used to never be near you guys.” She replied.
“Yes, and thank God your parents moved.” Katie added.
All of a sudden Adam came up behind me.
“Hey you guys.” He said merrily, “Can I join you?”
“Definitely, Adam.” I said for everyone.
As he sat down Amy walked by and gave him the death glare but he just ignored her. She had her little posse of friends with her.
“Like I said Adam, watch your back!” She called out.
“Get a life Amy!” He called back without turning around.
We all laughed and so did he and Amy just stalked off, defeated.
Soon my first fun lunch of seventh grade was over and it was time to go to fifth period English.
For our journal we had to write one thing that happened today that we were proud of. I wrote about performing my monologue in Drama. I was very nervous but I knew I was ready. I had found one in an old book we had at home and it’s about a girl who is about to die but she can feel her dad holding her and telling her not to leave him. And she must make the decision to go into the light or go back down to him. It’s a serious and sad piece but I can relate to it so much, making it the perfect choice.
I stood up in front of everyone and took a deep breath.
“I know what holds me. It’s Dad. The look on his face is just terrible. The look of grief. I’ve seen it only once before- the day Mom died.”
I could see everyone was captivated and Ms. Stephiano looked like she was going to cry.
“I hear you, Dad. I hear you –and I’m coming.” I finished a real tear in my eye.
Everyone applauded and I sat down. Ms. Stephiano really was crying now.
After English I was supposed to be going to Lacrosse but we had the day off so I walked outside with Max and my mom picked both of us up and went home.
We walked Bailey around the block and then had Fettuccini Alfredo made by my mom and then he left. I went upstairs to find something to do and when I couldn’t think of anything. I booted up my new computer, but I didn’t know what I was going to do on there when suddenly I got an amazing idea.
I opened Microsoft Word and opened a black document. There it was staring at me, the completely white page. I started typing “My Fifteenth Year”.

After writing for a good two hours I got up, climbed in bed and fell asleep, dreaming pleasant dreams of Halloween night with my full group of friends and no problems running through my head. Everything’s is back to normal, for now at least. It was heaven.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 23 24 25

This book has 8 comments. Post your own now!

wordlover27This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:37 am
This is the first time I read a whole book on Teen Ink! I was hooked on your story and just HAD to finish it! Just wondering though, why is it called "Red Popsicle Summers"?

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:40 am

The title is tentative right now. It refers to the memory of Max's sitting out on the tree with Hannah, eating red popsicles. I'm really bad at titling my work. :/

Just wondering, would you pick up the book in the store

ThespianChickAnnie said...

Oh MAN, this is good! Like, seriously. Amazing. :)

I agree with remembermyname, you should TOTALLY write a sequel. :)

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Thank you :)

remembermyname said...

Okay, first thing first, I freaking love this! It was not what I was expecting. AND that's a good thing. I was expecting the whole typical love story cliche. I loved.

Secondly, I was really hoping for Max and Hannah to fall in love, but when they didn't I was like, "Wow! That turned out pretty good anyway!" =)

Thirdly, MAKE A SUEQUEL OR SOMETHING! I was yearning for more when I  new I was almost done with the 25th chapter. I hate when the story ends at a re... (more »)

cdmswimmer9 replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 11:11 am
Thank you so much! I will definitely look at your work. I wrote this a couple years ago and it was m first, so it makes me very happy to hear such great things about it. :)

remembermyname replied...
NO problem!  Do you think you will make a sequel? It is going to be fantistic!

cdmswimmer9 replied...
I have already started one. But I only did a few chapters before I stopped. This was about a year ago, I haven't really looked at it since.