freedoms hope | Teen Ink

freedoms hope

By Bite_Glory, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Bite_Glory, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

It all began in fifth grade, I was 11. My two best friends Lottie and Rhys were sitting on the steps of our school, clear lake middle school. Lottie was sketching in her notebook. She looked up at Rhys and me.

" So where are you guys for high school? " She asked. Lottie Vincent was a smart girl, we've been friends since kindergarten. Her parents moved from France to clear lake before she was born. They both have thick French accents, Lottie's isn't as thick. She has long brown hair and glasses, just like her mom.

Rhys answered before I could. " Emory and I are both going to Blackwood on the east side, there's supposed to be a lot of different people there! ". Rhys looked over at me and smiled. Rhys Bryant was my best friend, though I only met him last year. He had thick black curly hair and freckles littered over his face. He lived with his dad and sister, Pacey. His mom had moved to Seattle, Rhys only sees her on holidays. Rhys is sweet and shy, he doesn't talk to other people except for Lottie and me.

" Ya, It's really crowded though, " I said looking at Rhys. He looked down and said, " Well, at least you'll be there. I'm happy that I don't have to go alone. "

I smiled and turned to Lottie. " What school are you going to? "

" Oh, I'm moving to France for a couple of years, so some school over there. " Lottie answered and brushed her hair off her shoulder. Lottie was an artist, she draws people and landscapes a lot. She's kind of snobby, but I've known her for so long, so I'm used to it.

A ringing noise started to sound. Lottie picked up her sketchbook and book bag. " C'mon guys, we can't be late for graduation! " She told us, as she runs up the stairs. I grab my lunch box and bag. The cartoon cat on my bag glows in the sun. Rhys attempts to grab his bag, but it falls out of his hands. Pencils, paper, binders, etc fall onto the stairs.

" Oh no! " Rhys yelped " my stuff! ". I jumped to the ground with Rhys and started picking up his stuff, he quickly organized the papers into binders and put pencils into the bag.

" Thanks, Emory for helping, I'm really clumsy, aren't I? ", He asked sheepishly laughing. Before I could answer he started walking up the stairs. I followed him up to the building.

Inside was our graduation from elementary school, all of our parents were there. Mr. and Mrs. Vincent were in the front row. Mrs. Vincent wore a long red flower print skirt and Mr, Vincent had a blue suit on. I didn't see Mr. Bryant, he's always late. My mom, dad, older brother, and sister were here. My older brother Remo was on his phone, probably texting his girlfriend as he is always. Mom waved at me, I was going to ignore her, but I decided not too. I waved and walked to Rhys. He looked kind of sad.

" Hey, Rhys! Are you excited for graduation? " I asked, patting him on the back. He looked up at me and forced a smile.

" Ya I guess, My dad isn't here yet though. I hope he makes it" He said looking concerned. I grabbed his hand and looked at his face.

" Don't worry dude, he'll come. He wouldn't miss this. Trust me, " I let go of his hand and turned towards the stage curtain, and Rhys followed me. Lottie was looking through the curtain. Her hair was now tied back in a long braid that laid over her shoulder. She had a blue short dress on and wore black heels. She looked so grown up, unlike me.

" There you guys are! What took so long? " She asked tapping her foot impatiently.

" We had a little problem, that's all! " I answered laughing " Rhys dropped his bag and it spilled all over the stairs. " Lottie didn't look satisfied with the answer.

" OK, everyone! Get ready for the ceremony. Your parents and family members are waiting! " Our teacher Mrs. Lubwick called. All the eighth graders scurried into their places. Lottie ran over to the girls' side, she stood between to popular girls, They began to chat excitedly. Rhys and I walked to the boys' side. There were more boys than girls in the eighth, which I didn't really mind. When the curtain rose the whole crowd clapped. Lottie's parents seemed to clap the loudest.

I noticed Mr. Bryant in the back row with Pacey. Mr. Bryant sure cleaned up well for this.

I nudged Rhys in the arm and whispered: " Look who made it. ". Rhys seemed to have tears in his eyes. His smile was brighter than all the lights in the room.

" Welcome everyone to the 2008 eighth grade graduation! Please welcome our hostess for the night, Lottie Vincent! " Our teacher spoke into the microphone. Lottie walked towards the microphone and grabbed it off the stand. She cleared her throat and started talking.

" Hello, ladies and gentlemen! I hope everyone is having a fantastic night so far! My years in clear lake middle school have been the best so far. I'm going to miss this place so much. These people have changed my life and that means so much to me! Well, I'll let Mrs. Lubwick continue,". Everyone clapped and cheered for Lottie. She walked back to her spot, and the graduation continued.

My mom ran up to me and hugged me tightly. She swung me around and set me back down. My dad ruffled my hair and laughed.

" Good job champ! You're one step closer to adulthood, " he laughed. My brother stood next to us, not looking at me. Rhys stood by me and smiled. My mom hugged him too.

" Good job boys! I'm so proud of you two, you're so grown up now, " she said hugging us again. Rhys laughed, I noticed his tie was crooked. I reached over to him and straightened his tie. When I looked up at him his cheeks were bright red.

" Oops sorry dude, I couldn't help myself. It was crooked, " I apologized while giggling. He started to laugh along with me, soon we couldn't stop laughing. Mr. Bryant walked over to us and waved.

" Hiya pal! " He called to Rhys. Rhys jumped onto his dad, Mr. Bryant swung him around.

" Well pal, you ready to go home? It's late and I bet you're tired, " he asked his son. Rhys, his dad, and his sister left the building, we left soon after. I said goodbye to Lottie and her family, and we got in the car and drove home.