Lost | Teen Ink

Lost

December 14, 2018
By Anonymous

The author's comments:

I don’t know anyone named Liam, let’s just get that straight.

I was a regular cat, with a great owner. My owners name was Liam, and he was the best. He always played with me, let me wander around outside, and fed me. But there was one moment that changed my life forever. It was a normal day, I was running around outside, my black pelt gleaming in the light. I spotted a light yellow butterfly, and couldn’t help but chase it. I ran around the yard, and got closer and closer to the road. I heard Liam call my name just as I pinned the butterfly onto the ground in the middle of the road. He sounded scared, his voice getting louder and louder. I turned around and saw a car racing towards me. I yelped and started running, Liam still calling my name.

I didn’t know how long I was running for, but by the time I stopped, my legs hurt so much! I lifted my head, there was something different. I tasted the air, this was not my home. I realized what happened. I was running for far to long, and now I was lost.  I desperately cried out, but realized it was useless. ‘Why did this happen?’ I asked myself. I was so scared, I didn’t know what to do. I just began to walk, tasting the air every chance I got, trying to find his scent. As I walked, the sun slowly began to dip down below the horizon, turning the sky a shade of scarlet. My night vision began to kick in, and I found that it was a lot better than I thought it was. I continued to search through the night, and found that I was cold and hungry. I sniffed the air again, the bitter cold of the night piercing my nose, but I needed to find food. I sniffed some food, faint, but it was there. I ran towards it, and found a trash can. I sniffed the stale pizza slice inside and almost gagged at the smell. But it was probably going to be my only food for a while. I gulped down the pizza and slept by the heater nearby.

I blinked my eyes open as the sun peeked through the thick clouds. I got up, realizing how sore my legs were. The ground was so stiff, unlike my soft bed at home. I rummaged through the garbage can again, and found a small can of tuna. It wasn’t open, but I didn’t question it. I started trying to open the stubborn can and heard a voice behind me.

“Need some help with that?” The voice was like velvet, smooth and refined, with a twinge of humor. I turned and saw a sleek grey tabby gracefully jump down from the heater, looking like she was trying not to laugh.

“Yeah, I do,” I said softly, my head lowering in defeat.

The cat smiled. “Here, look,” She slid the can over to herself. “There is this little tab right here, and if you just wedge your claw under there,” She showed me by wrestling her claw under the small metal tab. “You can push down and pull it open! Easy!” She peeled the tin top off of the can, revealing the tasty tuna underneath. “Here,” She said. “I just ate today.”

“Thanks,” I said as she slid the can over to me. “By the way, what’s your name?”

“Storm, and yours?” She asked in response.

“Mittens. Are you trying to get somewhere?” I looked up, and saw Storms face fall.

“No, not anymore,” Storm whispered. “I’m all alone, a stray, abandoned by my owners.”

I looked at her, shocked. “Really? I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be, they were terrible anyway,” Storm chuckled sadly. “I should have run away a long time ago,” Storm padded closer, watching me eat the tuna. “Anyway, why do you ask?”

“I have an owner I’m trying to return to,” I said plainly.

“Oh, well then, have fun. Bye,” Storm said, padding off. I watched her go, and wondered if I should have asked if she could help, but it was too late. I padded in the other direction, tasting the air every few seconds, looking for Liam’s scent. I thought of him, probably tearing up the town in a frantic search. He loved me, and I loved him. Then I thought of Storm, whose owners probably didn’t care if she ran away. I felt sad, Storm was a great cat, and deserved better. I shook that off, Storm could handle herself. I continued to pad around, getting any food I could, and sleeping in any spot I could, still lost, scared, and missing my owner.

A month had passed, and still nothing. I was beginning to tire, food was becoming more scarce as Winter rolled in, and I still wasn’t even close to home. I padded into an alley, where the best dumpsters were, and began digging around for food.

“Hey! What are you doin’ in our dumpsters, scrap?” A voice hissed behind me. I turned and saw the hairless cat, injured and mad.

I straightened my posture, trying to look fierce and intimidating. “I am here to eat, and if your as smart as you think you are, you’d scram.” I hissed, extending my claws. The cat barked a dry laugh.

“That’s pathetic! You’re a house cat, I can see your collar!” The cat retaliated. I remembered my collar, I had forgotten about it, it didn’t have a bell, thank goodness, but it was a very vibrant pink on my black fur, so it was obvious that I was a pet.

“You want to underestimate me? I didn’t know you were that stupid.” I mused. The cats eyes drilled into mine, and I felt I had just made a bad mistake.

“You called me stupid?” The cat growled, pacing closer to me.

“Yes, I did, did I hurt your feelings? I’m sorry.” I snarled, feigning a sorrowful look. The cat roared in anger and leapt at me. I dodged out of the way with a yelp of surprise and began to run. The cat was hard in my tail, his snarl close. I jumped onto a dumpster, then another, and another. The cat wasn’t that well a climber, I could tell, because he remained on the ground. I was really scared, but I couldn’t show it. I continued to run until I was out of the alley, and the cat had retreated. I sank to the ground, panting. I can’t believe I did that! I stood up to a cat I didn’t know, and survived it!

“Nice job, Mittens! Stone doesn’t react kindly to unwanted visitors,” A familiar voice chuckled. Storm! I turned and saw the kind tabby jumping down from the top of a fire escape.

“Storm! It’s so good to see you!” I exclaimed, nuzzling her in greeting. Storm purred, obviously glad to see me as well. I looked around at the city, the buildings towering above me. I had seen these tall buildings from a high hill in our backyard, wondering what it was like. Then I realized, I had seen this city from my backyard! I was getting closer, but I had to navigate this maze of a city. I had definitely gotten thinner over the past two months, since I had been scraping a tiny amount of food each day. It had become a pattern, so much so that I really didn’t need more than a cans worth of food each day.

“Hey, Mittens, mind if I join you?” Storm knocked me out of my thoughts with that question, and that was the question I was waiting to hear.

“YES. I totally want your help to navigate to city, you seem to know a few cats here!” I said, smiling. Storm smiled back and motioned for me to follow her. She jumped onto the fire escape and walked up the steps, me close behind. We continued to climb until we reached the top of the towering building. “Whoa…” I breathed. I could see everything from here! But there was something that stood out. A large green hill, and beyond that hill…

“Want to go home?” Storm asked. I looked at her, and nodded.

I thought for a moment. “I want to go home, but I want you by my side,” I said. “I can’t think of a world without my friend.”

Storm seemed shocked at first, but then nodded. “Ok, I’ll come with you.” I felt my chest burst with happiness, and followed Storm down the fire exit. We ran through streets and stopped occasionally for food. Then I saw a large hill, and didn’t feel that lost anymore. I was so close, just one more obstacle. We ran to the top of the hill, and looked down at the small yellow house in front of us.

“Look! There’s Liam!” I exclaimed, motioning for Storm to follow. I ran towards my owner, meowing, and his face lit up.

“Mittens!” He called, his eyes filling up with tears. “I missed you so much!” He dropped to his knees and gave me a hug. Storm just sat, smiling at our reunion. “Is this cat your friend? But she has a collar!” I just noticed it, a light blue collar, with Storm’s name on it. Storm meowed, showing that she was a stray. Liam looked sad. “Bad owner huh?” Storm nodded sadly. “Well, I think I can handle one more cat, huh?” Storm’s face lit up and she bounded over. Liam pet Storm and Storm began to purr. ‘I’m home.’ I thought. ‘I’m home, and with my best friend.’ I looked to the sky. ‘This will be a moment I never forget.’ I leaned into Liam, purring as well. I was happy, and safe. And I knew, with all my heart, that if I was lost, I would always find my way back home. I remembered a story that Liam read to me, about a dog who got lost and came back. “A Cats Way Home” Now that would be a good story. I smiled and ran up the hill with Storm. We sat on the cold grass, and watched the sunset. Liam sat down on the hill as well. This was my home, my owner, and my best friend.

The End



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.