Three Lives, Three Deaths

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

Paris: 1424

I'm so cold. That's the only thought that I can manage.

My long hair is stuck to my skin, my dress and the soles of my feet frozen to the block of ice that is the stone floor and wall of my cell. Having been completely soaked before thrown into the dungeon, my dress is practically attached to my body. I don't dare sit forward for fear of tearing the skin off my back like it did my right hand, so I let the stone draw the heat from my tiny body. The blood from my right hand has frozen to the floor, but my left hand is free. I numbly try to wipe an icicle of hair out of my face, but my pale, blue fingers have long lost their fine motor capabilities.  The snow piles around me, melting from my body heat and then freezing into the layer of ice that is slowly encompassing me. I remember when they had first thrown me into the cell...was it minutes or days ago? I had landed on hands and knees in the snow, desperately coughing water out of my lungs while the guards laughed behind me before slamming the door. No one has come since.

I'm going to die here, I numbly realize. Most of the cells in Paris are insulated, safely away from the horrors of France in January. Everyone else they had tortured for information regarding Gwendolyn's whereabouts had been locked in one of those, assuming they hadn't died in the desperate hunt. It isn't just a coincidence that the only victim of waterboarding had been tossed into the ice and snow. No one's coming.

I cry softly, the tears freezing on my face. I clumsily try to wipe them away, but my fingers may as well be made of stone, if stone could burn with pain. My vision is blurry, but I can see that the place on my wrist that the ropes had rubbed raw is turning strange colors, the blood freezing to the shreds of skin. Is that bad?

The pain is gone, numb. One eye is frozen shut, and I feel safe enough to close the other. Suddenly, my skin begins to feel a touch of warmth, and I give I little cry as the heat enwraps my body because I'm safe, aren't I? The cold is gone so I must be safe at last....

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »