The Adventures of Tom Jimmy and Lisa

By , Fairbanks, AK
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

An unpleasant surprise

Jimmy Smith was a normal 12 year old kid that lived on the outskirts of the small city of Williston North Dakota. Jimmy’s home was positioned on a low hill that could see the city, which happened to be only 3 miles away. Jimmy’s neighborhood was in a large gated community. Each house had 1-2 acres of property, Jimmy and his friends liked his house over most of the other houses because his backyard had a small hill that was fun to sled down in the winter or bike down in the summer. On this particularly cold day in January Jimmy had been outside for hours snowball fighting with Tom, and Lisa. Jimmy could barely feel his toes and even though he didn’t want to look like a wimp compared to Tom and especially Lisa even though she beat him in most things anyway, said, “hey guys my feet are freezing can we go inside?” Tom looked up from behind his shelter and said “sure Jimmy.” Just as Lisa hit him in the face with a snowball for the third time that day. Tom slowly rubbed the snow out of his eyes, while Lisa shouted “WEAK!” at them both for being cold while her teeth chattered a mile a minute. Both Tom and Jimmy didn’t care to look tough at this point and slowly walked away shivering in their coats. Lisa taunted them for another 10 seconds then finally shouted, “Guys wait up for me.” Jimmy rolled his neck and eyes to Tom who did the same, then they both turned around and watched her running toward them. Tom noted both her hands behind her back and said “You better not put that down my back.” Lisa said “Don’t worry I won’t put it down your back.” Tom was naively satisfied with this answer until she got to them and put both hand fulls of snow in each of the boys faces. Jimmy’s instant response was “LISA WHY’D YOU DO THAT?” She replied “Cause I won, you two chickens gave up.” Tom stood in silence for a minute then he walked behind Lisa and proceeded to wipe the snow off of his face onto the back of her jacket, which she responded to by jumping forward and yelling “Hey!” Tom, who could now see again began walking towards Jimmy’s house again. Jimmy and Lisa then dropped their beef over the snow in the face and followed him.
The three friends always went into Jimmy’s house because his mom always took a nap after work and his dad did not restrict the amount of cocoa powder and marshmallows they put into their hot drinks, nor how much time they spent on the TV as long as they had spent at least one hour outside before using it.  As soon as they got inside they proceeded to take off all of their snow gear and place it around the fireplace to melt. Then Jimmy turned the stove on and set it to boil the water in the kettle. While it was heating up they went down stairs and argued over what game they should  play. After much bickering Tom asked if they wanted him to bring over his new PlayStation 3 that his uncle had given to him for his birthday. As the door had barely closed from Tom leaving it opened again and Tom came back in with an odd look on his face and said “Hey guys come out here and look at this.” Lisa and Jimmy both bounded up the stairs and out the door. Once outside they looked down the street from Jimmy’s porch at Tom’s house which had several black SUVs and a large box truck like the ones people used for moving their stuff to new houses. Tom exclaimed “What is going on?” Jimmy and Lisa both replied in unison, “Whoa.” Then they all ran to Tom’s house.
When they got there they all noticed that one of the black SUV’s said in big letters on the side, ‘FIRST NATIONAL BANK’ they also noticed a small black vehicle with a weird antenna and blue and red lights flashing in the back window. Everything seemed quite out of the ordinary to Jimmy. Tom pointed at one the upper windows of his home and Jimmy and Lisa both noticed Tom’s mother talking with an angered look on her face with a man in a black suit. All three of them just stood and watched as men in tuxedos instructed people dressed for work to take all the furniture and items in the house and put in the truck. The three kids stood there for about ten minutes gaping as all the things like the large living room couch and Tom’s bed came through the front door and were put into the truck. Jimmy noticed Tom’s expression change to a frown as two of the men carried his family’s large new flat screen TV out and place it in the truck. Then Jimmy saw trouble, they were carrying Tom’s desktop out. Before he could say anything to stop Tom, Tom ran and lodged is full foot at mach 2 into the man’s crotch who was carrying his desktop, the man dropped the computer into Tom’s hands who was prepared and caught it. Then he turned and ran with the computer right into his father Dave who had just arrived. Dave was a pleasant man and had a way with people that few people had, and took Tom’s computer away from him and handed it to the worker who was still evidently in pain although he took it and put it in the truck. Dave said a few words to him and the man seemed to go on with his work apparently accepting the apology of the boy’s father. After this Dave came over to the children and explained how he had not been able to keep up payments on the house and that the bank had decided to take it from them, and all that was in it. He furthermore instructed Tom that if he wanted to save any of his valuables that he should do it before it was put into the truck and while it was still in the house, and to put it in Jimmy’s house as they would be staying with them until Tom’s family was back on their feet again and could move into a new house. This was good news to Jimmy, he said “This will be a party!” Dave chuckled at this statement but did not say anything against it. Then Dave went inside and left Lisa, Tom, and Jimmy outside alone. Tom said, “Let’s go inside and see if they haven’t taken some of my valuable stuff.” “Ok” Jimmy and Lisa simultaneously agreed. As the three walked inside they noticed how empty the house was for the first time. The bank movers had already taken most of the large furniture outside, they had not emptied the drawers of cabinets and other storage containers they simply were taking stuff out of the house as a whole and putting it in the moving truck. They reached Tom’s room and noticed that the bed had been taken out but his dresser, desk, and nightstand were still in his room. The three kids quickly went through his drawers and found Tom’s camera and his two cell phones. Each kid stuffed their pockets with as much valuable items as they could to the point of pulling their pants down. They slowly made their way out of the house so they could avoid the movers’ and the bank’s suspicious eye.
Once outside the house they walked to Jimmy’s house and emptied their loads on Jimmy’s bed. As Jimmy passed the guest bedroom he noticed that his mom was making the guest bed, this confirmed that Tom’s family was actually going to be staying with them and that Tom’s dad Mr. Dave had not been joking.
As Tom, Jimmy, and Lisa entered Tom’s house for the second time they noticed for the first time how fast the movers were working to clear the house of all of its goods. The whole upstairs was completely empty. Tom’s room was on the upstairs floor. “I hope they aren’t finished with my room yet.” Said Tom with only a hint of hope. When they reached Tom’s room they found it empty and Tom despairingly put his face into the wall and stood there in silence. Lisa comforted him with a hand on his back and reassuringly told him, “Don’t worry Tom I’m sure your parents will work everything out with the bank and that you will get your stuff back eventually.” Tom mumbled, “I sure hope so.” Jimmy said nothing as he felt that what could be said about the situation had already been said by Lisa who always reacted the quickest and best to a situation. The three walked out of Tom’s house and went back up the street to Jimmy’s house.
Once they were back in Jimmy’s room, they found a second mattress laid out on the floor with a pillow and some blankets on it that had been laid out for Tom. Jimmy’s mother poked her head around the corner of the door and said, “Tom, you and Jimmy will be sleeping in the same room for awhile so I suggest you guys get used to it. Oh and supper is ready, Lisa you are welcome to stay if you would like.” Lisa nodded, but said nothing. Tom, Jimmy, and Lisa went up stairs and sat around the dining room table while Mrs. Smith poured them all a hot bowl of soup. Jimmy stared into the soup as it flowed out of the steaming pot. Then he coughed from the steam. Tom solemnly said, “Excuse you.” None of the kids’ minds were at the supper table. Jimmy was both shocked and excited about Tom’s family being kicked out of their house, and that Tom would get to sleep in Jimmy’s room for what could be months. Tom couldn’t stop thinking about his desktop and PS3 that were somewhere in the back of the large box truck with the rest of his and his family’s belongings. Lisa was overwhelmed but not as shocked as the two boys since her life would not be affected by all of this. After supper the three kids went down and played video games for 2 hours. The games seemed to take all the horrible happenings of the day away and place them far away from their minds. Mrs. Smith did not interrupt them or limit their time on the TV either since she was busy talking with Tom’s parents late through the night. At 9 o’clock she poked she yelled for the boys to go to bed and for Lisa to head home. After Lisa had left the house both boys crawled in to bed. However they did not fall asleep.

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »