Before You Know It

By , Cali, Colombia
Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »

Prologue

It was New Year. My brother and I were on the lake that night. It was a full moon and all the stars that light up the sky reflected the lake making it look like a dream. I had a red dress that fell to the floor, with my red lipstick that accented my red hair. The new year was just around the corner only a few minutes. We had a plan that day, we were going to my happy and no one would tell us what to do, no longer.

But a tragedy occurred when the clock hit 12:00, in that instant we lost control of the boat. It hit a large rock we had not notice and made turn the boat upside down. Lucky me I was able to get out and swim to the edge of the lake.

There was no sign of my brother, I don’t know if he got out of there or if he was still there. I screamed and screamed like a maniac but there was no answer from him.

“JASON! JASON!” I cried with all my force, “Where are you? Can you hear me?”

Finally, after 20 minutes had passed I decided to call the cops and tell them what happen. In a just a matter of seconds, everyone was there. Cops, ambulance, my mother and my father, reporters and almost all the town of  Winterfield.

I was surrounded by doctors, they were checked if I was doing fine and that I would not have any contusions. They cleaned up my bruises so that they wouldn’t get infected. I had two big ones on the right leg and one on the face that wasn't so big.

When the doctors finished doing their jobs. The cops came in but I couldn’t stop crying and telling them to go look for my brother that hadn’t come to the edge.

Immediately, they sent a patrol to look after him, but there was no sign at least for another 20 minutes. Until they saw a red-haired head floating. I was Jason’s body. They brought him to the shore where I can see him. He was dead. No pulse and he had some serious wounds. I thought to myself, only if I had called them before maybe, just maybe he would be alive and the could save him. I started to cry more and more.

When my parents got to the place of the accident they treated me like always, like if I was trash. They only looked for my brother, of course, he was their favorite. But when they saw him there cast in the dirt, dead, with his face without color, his eyes fully open like his soul already had left his body and the temperature of his skin cold like ice. My mom’s reaction was surprising, I would never imagine my mother so wreck. She threw herself to the ground and started to cry and do a scandal.

“Oh my baby, my poor baby. Who has done this to you? Why this happen to you?” She said to herself repeatedly.

While my father was behind her with his eyes shocked and crying like a baby but unlike my mother, he was in silence. I have never seen my dad like that, not even a single time. He never showed his soft side.

“Ho-ho- honey I think we should let the doctors and the police do their job, please let's go back home,” my father told my mother through his crack voice and his watery eyes.

“No! What you think he is Maxon?” My mother exasperated answered my father.

She never called my father by his name, almost never in her life. I had only heard her call him Maxon one time, it was a long time my father once got drunk enough he couldn’t walked my mother almost kicked him out the house. My mom has always had a strong temperament that is difficult to control. If someone does something that disturb, she takes it as a sign of war. Making that person’s life miserable.

“Honey they need the body to look at it and examine it. So please, I am begging you to give them space to do it.”

“But- but he is our baby honey, our Jason that is now dead!” She broke down again in tears but this time she backed up to let the doctors and the police do their job.

After they took his body all the reporters started to intervene with all these questions.What happen? was the first question I heard from one of them. What was the cause? I was in shock I didn’t knew how to respond.

My father calmed down the reporters and told them that we wouldn’t answer any questions then he took me first and apart from everyone else and directly to a big fat police officer. He started to asked me some questions.

“What happened?” This big fat cop asked me like of he blame me for what just happen.

Then I carried on with my part of the story and told them exactly what happened, well not exactly I don’t tell them our intentions on the boat and why we were there I change it a little. 

“I- I was in the boat with my brother celebrating the New Year and when the clock hit midnight the boat hit some type of rock and I the boat lost balance and flipped. Everything was on fire so we tried to go out as fast as possible. The last thing I saw was my brother behind me, but when I got out. I lost him. I couldn’t find him. When I got to the shore I tried to look for a sign but there was nothing, then I call the cops.” I couldn’t hold it more I started to cry to tears. My heart was devastated and my Jason is dead. Now I am alone.

The cops let me go and send to my parents. My mother took me by the arm and pull me like if I was an animal to the back of the white Range Rover. F***, I thought, now is all screw-up. After a few minutes had passed and both of my parents finished talking to the cops we could finally go.

In all the way back their mansion, they didn't say a single word. Anyways, not that I wanted to talk to them. they got in the garage parked the car. I when out faster than them and went straight to my room. Start to cry again and repeat the event in my mind a thousand times in my mind. Thinking and saying to myself that changes always happen on a new moon.

Chapters:   1 2 3 Next »