Ghost In The Bathroom

Author's note: I was inspired to write this piece because of a rumor I heard in third grade that a ghost...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I was inspired to write this piece because of a rumor I heard in third grade that a ghost haunted the elementary school bathroom. I've always loved ghost stories, so I decided to write one!

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

ending

“Tessa, you can’t be late for Thomas and Arianna’s wedding! They’re our best friends! Hurry up!” Kyle shouts up the stairs. You fix your red hair up into a bun and slide on your dress, joining your boyfriend of nine years near the door to your house. You follow him to the car and settle down in the passenger seat. He smiles and says, “How can you not miss murder trials or art shows but you can almost miss your best friends getting married to each other? It’s weird!” You laugh and ruffle his hair as he drives down the road until he gets to the church.

The ceremony is long and mildly uninteresting, but you like it anyways because Arianna’s dress is beautiful and Thomas is shy like always but then they kiss and he giggles and you laugh too, just because it’s so darn amazing to see your childhood friends get married.

It finally ends and there’s an outdoor luncheon right next to the church cemetery. For some reason, you feel drawn to it. You kick off your shoes and excuse yourself and walk out to the cemetery. Your feet skim the dewy grass until you almost walk into one gravestone. You look up to see a small cliche-looking headstone, but that’s not what makes you stop. What makes you freeze is the name engraved into it.

Clarissa Annelise Sargent
Born 8 October 2000, Died 8 October 2012

Not a day past twelve. Childhood memories resurface, memories of a pretty face with blue eyes and black hair. Of a too-big cerulean dress and an impish grin. Of tears and blood and lips against lips. And a name. Rissa.

You sit down and look at the grave, and think. You think about your childhood and of those girls who bullied you. You swore you saw Britney working at a Wendy’s you stopped off to eat at during a break during one of the trials you worked for.

“Rissa?” you ask to the grave. “Are you there?”

There’s no response, just a breeze that seems to whisper Tessie, Tessie, Tessie.

“I know nobody’s spoken to you in years, and you feel as if nobody loves you because of what you did, and you feel like nobody cares, but…” You take a deep breath. “I still think about you, Rissa. I always do. I miss you.”

Silence.

“I forgive you, Rissa. And I hope you know that I’m sorry for all of this.”

There was no response except just a simple whisper: Thank you.

And you knew that she was sorry. You knew she felt remorse. You knew she still cared for you, because she let you live your life, which showed that she really did love you.

And to be honest? You loved her back.

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6