Lost and Found | Teen Ink

Lost and Found

By alex_kelley13, Stratham, New Hampshire
alex_kelley13, Stratham, New Hampshire

Author's note:

This piece that I wrote is a project called the Author Study. I studied Brian Selznick and the way his characters developed in his story inspired me to write this. 

“Why?” Thomas says cradling her head, “Why would you do this?”
“I wanted to be happy.” Lily sighs.
“I thought you were happy. We were happy.”
“My heart only beats for you. What I did has nothing to do with you and you know that.” A tear slowly streams down her cheek.
“Look up, my beautiful, just look up at the stars.”

Lily, September 26th, 2015
Smack! The noise shatters through the empty house. Smack! Once more, the sounds of the battering and pleading echos off the walls which hide so many secrets. I run to my room holding my red, pounding cheek as tears flow down my face. Outside my door I hear footsteps. Each step makes my heart pound. The door swings open, giving a gust of wind, which is actually soothing for my beaten cheek. My mother walks in, wearing her 6 inch heels and leopard print dress.
“I’m going out.” She says putting red lipstick on her chapped lips.
I just nod. My mother leaves with no recognition that I was just hit by my father. I hear the car door slam, I shutter and gaze out the window only to see car exhaust flooding the driveway. Where’s my father? I think as I slowly crack open my bedroom door. I tiptoe to the living room only to find my father holding a half empty beer bottle in his newly bruised hand. His hair messy with grease and dirt, his clothes all tattered. Why does he think I’m the disgrace of the family? I sneak to the bathroom trying to not make any noise. I look in the mirror to see my puffy, red cheek. Only a bruise and a scratch. I wipe the line of crimson blood off my cheek and look in the mirror again. I take out my makeup bag and cover the scratch as best I can, “Good enough.” I say under my breath. Why does this happen to me?

Thomas, September 26th, 2015
I hear a screech in the other room. It’s my mother; the distinct scream that I hear everyday is not new to me, I could point it out just about anywhere. I put my ear up against the cold, smooth wall only to hear another screech and a slap. I then hear murmurs, nothing I could make out. I know what’s happening in there. The thing I don’t know is if I actually have enough courage to stop it. I crawl over to the corner of my room and sit on my stained, pungent smelling mattress. I cover my ears as sounds of screaming get louder and louder slowly making their way into my mind. I hear the screeching of tires outside my window. It’s the school bus. My escape. Finally time to leave. I creep down the hallway and peek into my parents room. There’s my father, standing over my mother like a bear, he’s wearing a plaid, muddy shirt and jeans. His belt is raised over his head about to hit my mother once more. There are streams of mascara flowing down her face, she’s wearing the same clothes that she was wearing last night, a baggy sweater and yoga pants, she never looked like what most model mothers look like.
I step down the hallway and the floor makes a creak, my father looks over at me, ”Hey!” He shouts.
He steps forward, I run. I make my way to the front door and run to my bus never looking back to that hell house. I walk down the aisle of the bus to my usual seat. I sit on the hot, sticky leather. I see a shadow out of the corner of my eye. A girl. Beautiful.

Both, September 6th, 2015
She sits in the seat in front of him. As she puts her hair in a bun she hears a whisper from the seat behind her.
“Hi,” Thomas says barely making a sound, “I’m Thomas.”
“What?” She asks with an inquisitive look.
“I’m Thomas.” He says once more in much louder tone, “What’s your name?”
“Oh, I’m Lily.” She says holding out one hand while the other is still in the process of making a bun, “I just moved here from Huntsville, Alabama.”
“Oh nice.” Thomas says looking down at his feet.
“So, how long have you gone to Sycamore High?” She says trying to keep the conversation going.
“I’ve lived in this crap town my whole life.” He says with a snicker. The bus starts slowing down.
“Well, we’re here.” She says grabbing her backpack,”I’ll see you around Tom.”
“It’s Thomas.”
“Okay then, Thomas.” She says laughing.

Lily, September 26th, 2015
Ugh, where’s room G14. I think stumbling around like a lost puppy. “Finally.” I say under my breath. I sit down on the cold, smooth chair and take out the only school supplies that I could scrounge from around my house.
“Hello students,” the science teacher says with a kind of convincing yet frightening grin, “I’m Mrs. Kingsley. This year, my lovely students, with be the best year.”
I roll my eyes and snort. Everything in that plain first period was a blur. I could only think about that boy I met on the bus. Sweet. I let out a smirk. He was so nice and cute. I wonder if I will see him in the hallway? I look at the clock anxiously waiting for the bell to ring so I can search the hallways for Thomas. Ring. I grab all of my things and race out the classroom door. I stand on my tippytoes looking for him. All I can see are blank stares.

Thomas, September 26th, 2015
I didn’t pay attention to anything in first period. Did I just have English or History? I think to myself then my mind goes to Lily. This was the struggle I had to face all first period. Walking in the hallways was hard enough. I’m invisible to everyone. Then I feel a brush against my shoulder. It's Lily. I'm not invisible to her.

Both, September 26th, 2015
“Hey.” Lily says nervously with a twinkle in her eye.
“Hey.”
“So, where are you heading?”
“Second period.” Thomas says trying to be smooth.
“I know that,” she says giggling, “I meant the class.”
“Oh, uh, math class with Mr. Higgins.”
“Same.” she says trying not to smile, but it was almost impossible.
Lily and Thomas walk to second period together in the longest awkward silence there could be.

Lily, September 26th, 2015
When I am around this boy I feel like we are the only two people on earth. He seems perfect. All of the boys at my old school in Alabama were players. Here, I feel hope, for the first time in almost forever. The bell rings once more signaling the class starting. The sound stings my ears.
“My name is Mr. Higgins,” the teacher says with the most horrid frown, “And this is algebra. Now most of you are use to pre everything or you are stupid and taking this class for a second time, but now is the time to get down to business, we will be learning everything on time. Here are the schedules, follow them or fail.”
Everything about this teacher was terrible. His demeanor seemed, well, the only way I could explain this would be tense. Something must be bothering him or he just doesn't like his life. I shouldn't care this much. Thomas. He creeps into my mind again as I look over and see his deep green eyes stare into mine. Once a stranger eyes that I would have never looked into in this way are now eyes with a sparkle of love in them. A feeling I've never felt before starts beating through my body. My cheeks get flushed, my heart pounds faster every second. I couldn't breath.

Thomas, September 26th, 2015
I look over to Lily. I start shaking. I can't stop looking into her beautiful blue eyes, at her perfectly rosy cheeks. Something is coming over me. A feeling. Love. I've never felt this before. I'm slowly getting nervous, but a good kind of nervous. A kind of nervous that I've never felt before. What should I do? My conscience sneaks into my mind, talk to her. “So do you like math,” I say, my voice is trembling, stupid question.
“I love math,” she says putting her pencil up to her lips, “It’s my favorite subject. What about you?”
“Oh, umm, yeah math is cool, but I'm a bigger fan of science.”
“Nice I like science too.”
“No talking in my class!” Mr. Higgins shouts holding a ruler, slowly raising it above his head, “Am I going to have to separate you two?”
“No, no.” I say squinting, almost waiting for him to hit me. The ruler reminds my of my father, I just want to escape that place.

Lily, September 26th, 2015
When Mr. Higgins raises the ruler above his head I cower. I guess I'm just use to seeing that. He walks away, my body becomes relaxed. I still have fear. I will never completely untense. I look up at the board as Mr. Higgins write equations.
“Complete these.” He says, it seems that he is getting more upset by the minute. I wonder what he will look like by the end of the year.
He leaves and I look over to Thomas. Just talk to him. I bite my lip. Three, two, one. “So, do you like Mr. Higgins?” Ugh, that was stupid, who would ever like Mr. Higgins?
“What do you think?” He chuckles, “That guy is a complete jerk.”
“Yeah, I mean look at him, he looks like he has never seen daylight.” Smooth Lily.  Mr. Higgins stands up and looks over at me and Thomas.
“One more peep out of you two,” he says waving his ruler in the air, “And detention for the rest of the week.”
Thomas and I sit in silence for the rest of class.

Thomas, September 26th, 2015
Second period was the best and worst part of my day. All I could think about was the sheer awkwardness I just went through. Ugh, Thomas, Lily is walking with you in the halls listen to her dummy. But I just couldn’t, my mind just shut off. Lily was talking to me and I was ruining it.
She stops.
I stop.
She waves.
I wave.
She leaves.
I’m crushed.

Lily, September 26th, 2015
Self-centered is the only word that I could describe myself right now. All I did was talk to him, did he talk? No. Is he even interested in me? I ask myself. My confidence level is getting pretty low. I walk to third period. History. Why do we even need to know about the past? I mean the Renaissance, really? - Thomas. My mind keeps going to him. My heart starts beating faster and faster. The bell rings. That was quick. Lunchtime. I walk to my locker and grab my lunch, a brown paper bag consisting of a bruised banana and crap brand Cheerios, oh no I mean, Toasty O’s. I roll my eyes and walk to the lunchroom. It looks like a madhouse in here. Like a jungle filled with wild animals with no human decency at all. Not much of a difference from actual teenagers here. I sit in the corner of the cafeteria and peel my slimy banana trying to choke it down. Some girls walk past me with their insulated lunch boxes and prissy lunches, they giggle and point. I don't really care. But you do care? My conscience hates me.

Thomas, September 26th, 2015
I walk over to the cafeteria doors. I know what's going to happen in there. I am going to sit down as the jocks come over and torment and taunt me. Of course I’m just going to take it like I always do. I try to take a step, but I can’t. I walk upstairs and try to find a new place to eat. Walking past the art room, I look in to see Miss. Monroe. She’s painting. Painting something beautiful.
“Oh, hey Thomas.” She says with a welcoming wave, “Come on in, I need your opinion on something.”
I walk over, not making a peep. How does she know my name?
“I’ve been working on this painting for weeks and it just needs something, a little oomph.”
“I guess you could add some blue over there,” I whisper.
“You’re right.” She says with a beaming smile, “You’re a natural.”
I smirk. Maybe I am. I’ve been drawing for years. I am a natural. 

Lily, September 26th, 2015
The rest of the day meant nothing. I stare at the clock, each tick feels like an eternity. I can’t wait to see Thomas again but, I don’t want to go back home.
“Lily,” Mr. Stevens looks at me with the most uppity attitude, “I’m sorry but the day won’t go by any faster.”

Lily’s Diary

Dear Diary,

I met a boy today. His name is Thomas Peterson. He is one of the sweetest guys I have ever met. I really feel something special. I have never felt this way about someone before. This was the best ever. He actually asked me for my number! I never thought love at first sight was real but, now I'm feeling it.

Both, September 26th, 2015
The bell rings. Glory. Thomas runs outside and looks into the bus window. There she is. As beautiful as ever. He walks onto the bus, trembling.
“Hey.” He says with a shaky voice, “What’s up?”
“Not much.” Lily says in reply, “What about you?”
“Nothin’.”
They both sit in silence for a few moments until- “Can I have you number?” Thomas says, looking down at his feet.
“Sure.” Lily takes out a scrap piece of paper, shaking.
The bus stops at his house and Thomas grabs the paper and runs off the bus, smiling from ear to ear.

Thomas, September 26th, 2015
This is the first time in forever that I have ever been this happy so close to my house before. I crack open the door and look over to the floor. There’s my mother. Cold. Pale. Has she been drinking? I walk over and tap her. She doesn’t move. A uneasy feeling comes over me. She’s not breathing. I run over to the phone. My heart starts racing a mile a minute.
“911, What’s your emergency?” The operator says in a monotone voice.
I have no response. I’m in a state of complete shock.
“Sir, are you hurt?”
“No, my mother is. Send an ambulance to 3 Trinity Way please.” I hear footsteps squeaking on the kitchen floor behind me. I slowly hang up the phone.
“Whatcha doin’ boy?” My father says in a deep voice.
I turn around and look in his eyes. Blood shot. Drunk? “Nothin’.” I say. I look down at his hands, making no movement, he’s holding his belt. Blue and red lights start flashing outside the window. There’s a knock at the door
“Fire Department, we are here to help your mother, son.”
My dad grabs me and covers my mouth. I can’t scream. Once I get out of my father grip, with all my lung power, I scream. They break open the door and everything starts slowing down. I felt like I was in slow motion.
The policemen put my father in cuffs and he looks at me, “You’re gonna regret
this boy.” He says struggling.
I stare into his blank eyes. Nothing. I look over to my mother. Her limp body is being placed on stretcher and she is being covered with a white sheet. I shed a tear. I know what that means, but my emotions are locked inside.

Lily, September 26th, 2015
I start walking down my driveway up to my front door. All I can think about is- Thomas. There I go again. I put my hand on the doorknob. I feel pain. I open the door and brown, shimmering glass flies everywhere. I dart for my room.
“Hey!” My father shouts heading towards me.
I shut my door and cover my ears hoping he just goes away. Why won’t this nightmare just go away. Wake up. My door breaks open and my father hits me across my forehead with the broken beer bottle. Everything turns black. Did I wake up or did I get what I’ve been wishing for?

Thomas, Midnight, September 27th, 2015
The room is empty. Just like my heart right now. Yet, I am not completely alone, my thoughts are here. Your father is in jail, where he belongs. But at what cost. Your mother is dead. You have nothing. Nothing. There’s a knock at the door. It cracks open and a petite, red-haired woman walks in with a fake smile.
“Hello.” She says trying to comfort me. It’s not working. “My name is Melinda Court and I am a social services worker. I know this must be hard for you but I need to ask you a few questions. Is that okay?”
I nod.
“Okay, has your father ever been violent like this before?”
“For as long as I can remember, he just has never killed anyone before, as far as I know.”
“Thank you. Now you have two choices. You can be placed into a foster family or you can get emancipated early.”
“I want to get emancipated early.” The words shoot out of my mouth like bullets.
“Alright then. I just need your father to sign a consent form and the judge will look it over and you will be on your way. Thank you.”
Being “on my way” is not how I am thinking about this. Especially when she said that my father has to sign a form. His goal in life is to make me miserable.
“Let’s go see your father now, sweetie.”

Lily, Midnight, September 27th, 2015
It’s blurry. What happened? It’s dark outside. My head hurts. The house is silent. I look down at my hands, they are covered in blood. My head is pounding. I stumble to the bathroom and look in the cloudy mirror. I gasp and cover my mouth. My face is dripping with streams of crimson blood. I grab a roll of paper towels and wet them. This gash is too large to cover with makeup. What should I do? Hospital? I run over to the garage and start riding my bike to the hospital. Okay, Lily, what’s the story? I was riding my bike then I crashed into the curb. Yeah, that’s good. I pull into the hospital parking lot and walk in.
“Sign these forms please,” the front desk nurse says without a care in the world, “A doctor will be with you in a moment.”
I look down at the form. Health insurance? Do I even have health insurance?
“Lily Stevens.” The doctor waves me into the room. “I am Dr. Goodwin, what do we have here?”
“Well, I was um, riding my bike and uh, I ran into the curb.”
“Okay, It looks like you will need a few stitches. I need your parents consent to do the procedure. Are they here?”
“No.” I say nervously, my eyes are darting around the room.
“Could you get them on the phone?”
“I don’t think I can.”
“I’m sorry sweetheart, I need to get your parents approval before I can do the procedure.”
I look down at my feet. What am I going to do? A few moments later the door swings open. It’s my father.
“And who are you?” Dr. Goodwin says crossing her arms.
“I am Lily’s father.” He looks over at me, “Are you okay, sweetie?”
This is the first time in forever he has even been concerned. Wait, he’s lying, isn’t he?
“She’s fine. She only needs a few stitches and she will have a minor headache for a few hours but, I will give her some Zomig for that.”
“Okay, I will be outside. See you in a few minutes, Lily.”
Dr. Goodwin starts stitching me up but, I feel no pain. Only the pain in my heart that my father would do anything to have him not get in trouble for abusing me. He only cares about himself, not his own daughter. No one cares.

Thomas, September 27th, 2015
Everything is silent in my mind. Miss. Court and my father are talking about my future. All I can hear are all of the no’s and all I can see are the shaking of his head. My life is crumbling in a million different pieces like a stale cookie. My life will have no story anymore. No beginning, middle, or end. I have no regret for anything. I stand up out of my chair as fast as a lightning bolt. “No!” I shout in a deep voice. They both just stare at me. I look over to my father and run out of the room. I slide down the wall in tears. Everything seems like the reality I dreamed of isn’t what it seemed.

Lily’s Diary

Dear Diary,

I don't know what to think of my father right now. He beat me and then came to the hospital to save himself. My life means nothing. Should I even exist on this earth anymore? 

Thomas, September 27th, 2015 
The rest of the night meant nothing. I was brought to a foster family. Meeting everyone was a blur. All I could think about was my future. I have no Identity. What am I going to do?
“Hey!” I am woken up by someone violently shaking my shoulder, “Get up! You’re going to be late for school.”
I get out of bed. All of the screaming kids running around everywhere helps me wake up. I get changed, grab my bag and head out the door.

Lily, September 27th, 2015
I wake up to silence. My parents must be out. Drinking. I start putting my makeup on. The gash is healing nicely. I shouldn’t be this okay about the scar. I get dressed and head out the door. I can't wait to see Thomas. I walk on the bus and look over to his seat. There he is. I look into his eyes and he looks into mine. I felt like I haven’t seen him in forever.

Thomas, After School, October 6th, 2015
The past week or so has been the best time of my life. I thought being in a foster family would be torture but, it’s kind of nice to feel safe in your my own home. Lily and I have gotten much closer. The only thing that I am worried about is that she had a mark on her forehead and it looked like she tried to cover it up with makeup. Maybe, she was beaten just like I was.

Lily’s Diary

Dear Diary,

I haven't written in a while, I've been pretty busy, thinking about Thomas. The past two weeks have been amazing. He is so nice and cute. He is such a gentleman. He hasn't asked me on a date though. I wonder why? It's not like I could go anyway. My father will do anything to make my life miserable. He hasn't hit me that hard in a while so, that's good. The scar from the beer bottle gash is healing nicely and no one noticed it. Thomas had a big black eye a few days ago and he wouldn't tell me where he got it. That makes me worried. What is he's in the same dilemma I'm in? 

Lily, October 15th, 2015
Smash! I fly over the the table. Glass shatters everywhere. My body pierces like a thousand knives stabbing me all at once. I run to my room. It’s time.

Lily’s Note

My life was over before it started. I wish I had done this before I had a reason to stay. I just feel like this is the right choice. I only caused people problems and regret, including myself. 

To my parents:

You are the main reason I am doing this. I may be a mistake in your eye but, you are the ones who made me this way. I hope you read this and realize what you have done. Goodbye.

To Thomas:

Love at first sight is real between us. You are the one who made me want to stay but, I feel like you will be better off without me. Find true love. Love that won't complicate things. I love you.

- Lily 

Thomas, October 15th, 2015
Should I go over Lily’s house. No, that would be too weird. My conscience sneaks into my mind, Come on she will love it. I grab my bike and ride a couple blocks down to her house. The door is open. I walk in, confused. There’s a note on the table. It reads, To my parents and Thomas.  I open the letter, immediately I know what’s happening. What do I do? Where do I go? I run to my special place. My vision is blurred from the tears streaming down my face. I walk over to the tree that I always go to when I’m upset. I look over and I see a girl. Lily. I run over and look at her. I look down at her arms. Their mutilated but, not just from right now, there are old scars as well. I wish I had known she was in this much trouble. It’s all coming together now, I get it.

Lily, October 15th, 2015
He’s here. Did he know I was here? Did he read the note? I feel safe now but, he’s too late.

Thomas, October 15th, 2015
“Why,” I say to her as I cradle her head in my arms, “Why would you do this.”
“I wanted to be happy.” She says in a soft whisper.
“I thought you were happy.” I say brushing my hands through her hair, “We were happy.”

Lily was saved that night, in the arms of someone who truly loved her. They can now begin their journey of healing together with a life full of hope and promise.