The End of Life as I knew It | Teen Ink

The End of Life as I knew It

May 30, 2016
By Anonymous

It was right after my thirteenth birthday when my parents informed we were moving. Moving; defined by leaving your friends, your house, half of your belongings, your school, and basically your entire life. So yeah, happy birthday to me. Now I understand why the superstitions surrounding the number thirteen and more specifically your thirteenth birthday. When my parents told me we were moving, all they told me was dad had a better opportunity waiting for him in Virginia. For a week, I did everything in my power to convince my parents to let me stay and have them move without me. My best friend and I had it all planned out; I would move into her brother’s old room who is at college and I would visit my parents on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and every other weekend. We haven’t exactly gotten her parent’s permission but I know it won’t be a problem. However, when I asked my parents, they said no so I was onto plan B, and I wasn’t giving up! The next week, as my life was being taped up in brown boxes, I stayed locked in my room refusing to come out for almost two days before my provisions of gold fish and m&ms  ran out. Eventually, my hunger got the best of me and I had to abandon camp. All of my other attempts failed and the house I have lived in for exactly thirteen years was completely empty except for the ‘necessities’ as mom likes to call them. 
The dreaded day came and there were many tearful goodbyes and hugs when my best friends came to see us go. We promised to call and write to each other every day and this doesn’t mean we still wouldn’t be best friends. After one last hug, I got into the over packed car and as we pulled away, I rested my face against the glass and said goodbye to my old life and watched as my home faded away in the distance. I just hope that the home we’re moving to has kids in the neighborhood and it’s not filled with old grouchy people.
The drive from Ohio to Virginia was only about a seven hour trip but to me it seemed like an eternity. The novel my mom gifted to me before we left had long lost my interest. She has horrible taste in books and I guess she doesn’t realize that I don’t want to read about a girl who overcame blindness, it’s boring. But I didn’t want to hurt her feelings so I took it anyways. So, with nothing interesting to read, I just watched endless trees fly by me on the highway. I counted cars and I guess I eventually fell asleep because it was long after that I felt a hand nudging me awake and my dad’s voice saying “Honey, wake up, we’re here.”
“Here where?” I asked groggily.
“The house… we’re not in Ohio anymore Dorothy.”
I rolled my eyes. My dad is the king of horrible jokes and its even worse because he thinks he’s’ funny. He pretends to wipe tears from his eyes and slaps his knee.
“That was a good one!” he says chuckling.
Yawning, I sat up and stretched, taking in my surroundings for the first time. The new house looked completely different from my old house. It as white brick with a wraparound porch and huge windows on either side of the door. It had a huge front yard with a grand magnolia tree in the front with a tire swing hanging from one of its thick branches. It looked like something out of a movie; too nice, too new. Homesickness washed over me. It had only been a day and I already hated this place.
“What do you think Bailey? It’s a little different from our old house but we thought you would like it” my mom says cautiously, her eyes going from me to my fathers. Without answering her, I ran into the house and up the stairs to what I guessed would be my bedroom. At this point, I didn’t care and just wanted to get away from my parents, the evil and mean people they are. This was a bad dream that I desperately wanted to wake up from. I even pinched myself and it didn’t work. I threw myself down on the bed and silently began to cry.
I lost track of time but I heard someone come in and sit down on the bed next to me. I sank with their weight but I didn’t bother to look up.
“Leave me alone” my voice came out muffled and angry. “I don’t want to talk to you.
“Bailey” responded my mom’s voice. “I’m sorry this is so upsetting, but you’re going to love it here! You’ll make a ton of new friends and you’ll soon forget about our old home.”
“I don’t want to forget new friends and I don’t want to forget about our old home. No one is going to like me.”
“Of course they’ll like you! Why would you say a thing like that?”
“Because the new girl always gets picked on. Everyone knows that”
“You won’t get picked on. They will love you. Trust me.”
Eventually, I looked at my mom. I was so angry. She leaned in to give me a hug which I definitely didn’t want so I sat there rigidly and waited for her to let go. Sighing, she released me and walked out shutting the door behind her.

Chapter Two
The next morning I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs. At first I didn’t recognize where I was but then I remembered that my parents decided to ruin my life as I knew it and move us to Virginia. I was not in my room nor was this my bed. I was surrounded with brown paper bags waiting to be unpacked. I scowled at them willing them to go away.
When I opened my eyes, they were still there. Sighing, I got out of bed and headed downstairs kicking boxes as I went. Determined to prove to my parents that this was a horrible idea and that I was still mad at them I put on my best scowl. Making it to the kitchen, I hopped up on the stool and sat there.
“Good morning Bailey” my dad greets cheerfully.
I greeted them with silence.
“Bailey, stop this is getting out of hand” my dad said frustrated. He looked at me and frowned, brows furrowed in confusion.
“Bailey! Look at me. Eat your breakfast and go unpack your clothing.”
Arms crossed, eyes glowered, I stared back at my dad. No one was more stubborn than I was. My breakfast sat untouched in front of me just to make a point.
“Katy can you help me out here. She hasn’t said anything all morning” he whined to my mom.
Inwardly, I grinned and immediately knew that I had won. Once my dad turns to my mom for help. I knew victory was mine and before my mom could say something to me, I hopped down my stool and raced upstairs but stopped when I heard my name.
“Bailey’s usually not like this. I didn’t think the move would be this hard on her” my dad said.
“I know. I knew she would be upset but I never thought she would completely stop talking” came my mom’s soft reply.
“What should we do? I really don’t want to threaten her or be the ‘bad parent’ but this has gone on long enough.”
“I think that if she doesn’t start talking by tomorrow, we will have to take action. Or, we can hope this is just a pre-tween stage and she’s being her stubborn self.”
“You may be right. Let’s give her till tomorrow evening.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.