Against All Odds | Teen Ink

Against All Odds

By jadej98, Seatac, Washington
jadej98, Seatac, Washington

Author's note:

I am able to relate to this piece because I am a dancer as well as the protagonist in the story.

Against All Odds
“I know many of you have bright and bubbly faces coming into this new school year along with exciting hopes. I have no idea why, because I know for a fact that most of you that are excited now, will be complaining a couple months later. Anywhoo, to all of you dancers left standing in front of me, the one and only Coach P, now have a legitimate reason to have bright and bubbly faces because you all have completed the audition made this year’s Almond’s High Dance Team! Before you lovely chipmunks go off to post about this accomplishment on social media, there is some important information that I need to release. Starting next week after school Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every other Friday, we’ll begin conditioning and learning choreography. I hope, as a matter of fact, each and every one of you will be practicing the choreography you will be learning outside of rehearsals. An incentive that I have for you guys to practice is that I will be watching you guys’ individual progress on this team. As some of you know, every other year we are invited to the  BSDC, the Battle Squad Dance Competition. Your spot on the team for this competition is far from promised and on top of that, they are adding a solo category. That will only go to one member of this team. The benefits of performing a solo at the BSDC is that there’ll be scouts in the audience searching for dancers to give scholarships to. Because of this, I will be more inclined to choose an upper classmen. The competition is in February but I’ll be selecting students to audition around mid-November and choosing the solo finalist in December! Alright now, that I got the lame logistical stuff out of the way, be free my little rump shakers! Congrats again and see you all next week!”
As the dancers scurried out of the room, Jamilla, a returning member of the dance team, grabbed someone aside from a huddle of girls, “What are your thoughts about the solo Janet?” Jamilla questioned.

“I mean, I’m definitely interested because, well, it’s our senior year and college isn't going to pay for itself. I need to find any outlet possible to help me financially. I really want to at least try to get noticed for it, I don’t know if I’ll get it though since it’s my first year on the team..” her voice trailed off, “ Hey, you joined the team last year, what to do you think my odds are?”
“Hmm.. Well, there are definitely a few girls who are going to be strong contenders. But, if you practice like Coach P says and work hard, you’ll definitely get noticed.”
“I’ll definitely take your advice. Especially since you’re the one who encouraged me to join this dance team in the first place! I’m headed home though, see ya tomorrow Jamilla!”
“Bye Janet!”
When Janet arrived home, she laid in bed imagining scenarios of how practices are going to be as well at the competitions. She had no idea if they had the potential to be as rigorous as she heard. She imagined the friendships she could potentially make, what would happen if she was announced as the solo finalist for the BSDC, and  so much more. She found herself day dreaming practically the rest of the evening before she went to bed early.
The following week seemed to zoom by as Janet was anticipating her first rehearsal on the dance team. Before she knew it, she found herself in the room where rehearsal was going to take place in 10 minutes. She decided to find a spot to stand and stretch near the middle because she didn’t want to be in the front row on her first practice, yet she still desired to be noticed. After landing herself a spot, more people, including her best friend Jamilla, flowed into the room. Minutes later, as the clock signaled for class to start, Coach P waltzed into the front of the room and without saying anything, she began the warmup exercises. Everyone instinctively knew to follow her lead. The warmup soon transitioned smoothly to learning choreography for the group dance by Coach P delivering a mini speech. Janet was in slight awe of her personality because she was lean, on the taller side, and had slightly intimidating looks. Yet when people got to know her personally, there’s nothing to be frightful of. During practice, Coach P was scanning the room intensely correcting various dancers for the choreography learned thus far. Soon she stopped in front of Janet and told her she was coming along nicely and to keep up the good work. Janet received the compliment humbly and Jamilla grinned at her from across the room. This small acknowledgement pushed Janet to work hard through the end of practice. She could not wait to go home and tell her parents, Rosey and Khalil, what happened during practice.
As Janet grabbed her belongings to meet Jamilla outside, she stood up to see a girl standing in front of her, glaring. She was the same height as her with curly dark-brown hair and piercing hazel eyes. Janet thought she was pretty and smiled at her only to receive an unchanging glare in return. Confused, Janet introduced herself, “Hey.. My name is Jan-“
 “Yeah, whatever, I know who you are. I’m not standing here to be friends with you. My name is Rhonda and I’m wasting my precious time to tell you that if you think you have a chance at becoming a solo finalist, you don’t. I’ve been on this team for three years and I will not let some inexperienced, bubbly faced dancer take my spot. That’s all. I’m leaving.” she threatened with a fake smile and left before Janet had the chance to process what happened.
As weeks went on, Janet and Jamilla continued to practice together. Jamilla would help critique and point out what Janet needs to work on in order to get properly noticed for the solo audition. As a result of this, there had been progress in both of their dance skills. Soon, they realized that Coach P was going to make the announcement of those eligible to audition the next day. They both discussed how nervous they were for it. Janet was nervous because she got her hopes up and was now expecting a chance for a solo spot while Jamilla was nervous for her.  After their dinner, they went home and prepare for what tomorrow had to offer them.
“Attention ladies,” Coach P exclaimed loud enough for the dancers to quiet down and pay attention to her, “today is the day many of you are looking forward to.  I won’t make this super long and sentimental, however, I do want you guys to know I’ve seen tremendous progress in many of you since the season has started. The three, yes I said three, girls that I’m choosing to audition just happen to have a certain “it factor” that I believe the judges at BSDC will love. Without further ado, here are the three people I have chosen…” During this slight pause before she announced the candidates, the room became filled with more nervous tension than there was before. Janet quickly exchanged looks with Jamilla and then looked around the room to see that there were many other dancers that appeared as nervous as she was. “Please hold the applause until the end. In no particular order I have chosen: Alicia, Rhonda, and Janet. Congratulations chipmunks. You’re all dismissed except for the three names I just called.” There was a loud round of applause along with some sad faces as the students filed out of the room. Jamilla gave Janet a tight hug before she rushed out of the room with the crowd.
“I just wanted to let you guys know, one, how proud I am of each of you and, two, how this audition thingy is going to work. You will prepare two different one and a half minute to three minute pieces to show to me, two other judges, and the rest of your dance team.  Within your two pieces, you will need to find a way to incorporate tap, hip-hop, and jazz. For example, one dance can have jazz and hip-hop while the other has tap. Feel free to mix up it up, girls! Your audition will be on the Friday after the next one, which is two weeks. I’m done saying things now, you three bubbly faced seniors can leave.”
As the three students were leaving, Alicia walked by to congratulate Janet while Rhonda just glared at both of them. Alicia and Janet walked to each others car and got to know each other better. Alicia and Janet both realized that they’d end up being good friends no matter who won in the end. As Janet went inside of her car she checked her phone to see if she had any notifications. The first thing she noticed was a text from an unknown number. She opened it and it read, “Congrats today. I hope you let this happiness last because I will be sure to see to you not becoming the solo finalist over me. Watch out, -Rhonda ;)” Janet simply rolled her eyes in response and continued to drive home to tell her parents about the news. Both of her parents were amazed and so excited for her.
After the announcement, Janet and Alicia worked nearly every day to either help each other better their solos with the help of Jamilla. After about two weeks of balancing school work and their dance routines, the time finally came for the audition. Janet drove to the audition by herself so she could minimize her distractions. When she walked into the room, the feelings of nervousness seemed to smack her in the face. She continued to walk into the back room despite her newfound emotions. During her walk, she took account to all of the dancers that were sitting on the floor talking amongst themselves. Next, she noticed Coach P and the two strangers that were sitting in a table next to where the dancers were sitting. Coach P was distributing paper to all of them while creating small talk. Janet soon found herself in the back room where both Rhonda and Alicia were already there warming up on opposite sides of the room. Alicia caught a glimpse of Janet and skipped over to embrace her then returned to warm up. Minutes later, Coach P joined them in the back room to deliver a mini prep talk and to inform them who was going first and last. Alicia would go, then Rhonda, then Janet. After Coach P finished talking, she departed back to the judges table. Before Alicia was called up, Janet gave her a hug and wished her luck. During Alicia’s performance, she began to feel more nervous because this was really happening. It was then Rhonda’s turn and she didn’t interact with either Alicia or Janet before she went on. As they both watched Rhonda’s dance, Janet was slightly irritated that Rhonda was actually a great dancer. She didn’t let it get to her because she knew she could do better and she was determined to. As Rhonda walked off and Janet was to walk out, Rhonda smirked at her and made a snide comment under her breath. Janet made her way to the front of the small crowd and when she stood in her first position, the music started and she embodied the music and the character of the performance. Soon she finished both of her performances, and there was a clamorous applause upon her ending. After the applause died down, Coach P came up and called all three participants back out and explained that the winner would be on the bulletin board Monday then dismissed everyone. Janet decided to go home after the audition. To her surprise, when she arrived home there was a special dinner waiting for her created by her parents. Her mother, Rosey, told her daughter that no matter what happened, the outcome should not determine who she was. Her father, Khalil, told her that they were extremely proud of her progress and ability to balance school work and excel in dance during her senior year.
The next school day, Jamilla offered to pick Janet up so they could look at the bulletin board together. During the car ride, they talked about the most random topics. Soon enough, they found themselves in front of the bulletin board both with their jaws wide open.  “I cannot believe  I actually did it Jamilla!” Janet exclaimed, “I actually, really, wholeheartedly did it!”
“I can! Omg, I feel like a proud mom,” Jamilla admitted as she wrapped her arms around Janet. “I can’t wait to see the look on Rhonda’s face.”
The training Janet endured to prepare for the BSDC started immediately. What was strange was that she hasn’t heard a word from Rhonda since the winner was announced. This didn’t sadden her though because the only thing Rhonda did was cause unnecessary stress in her life. December whizzed by and the pressure was building to perfect both Janet’s solo and her role in the group dance. In the first half of January, Jamilla was helping Janet practice her solo. They were both walking out of the school to ride home together when Janet realized she had forgotten her water bottle and told Jamilla to meet her outside. Janet went back to grab her water bottle and when she turned around to head towards the door, Rhonda was standing in the doorway. “I thought I missed you,” Rhonda stated pretending like she really cared as she walked towards Janet, “I never got around to congratulating you. That’s really amazing how you managed to become a solo finalist on your first and final year on the team.” Janet found herself backing away from Rhonda, “It’d be a real shame if something unfortunate happ-“ before she could finish her sentence, Janet tripped on the ballet barre and landed awkwardly. She let out a pain filled scream in response. Rhonda expressed a genuine look of surprise but immediately wiped the look off of her face. She turned around and went to go get Jamilla and left. Unfortunately, Janet sprained her ankle. Jamilla drove her to the hospital and had her parents meet her there. The doctor told her that it would recover in three to five weeks if she took care of it properly. Janet’s father interjected to ask about her competition which was in about three weeks. The doctor advised to act with extreme caution for the weeks following up to it. When Coach P caught wind of her sprained ankle and how it happened, she suspended Rhonda off of the team. Coach P advised that Alicia should attend as her backup incase her ankle would prohibit her from performing on the competition day.
For the next three weeks, Janet did everything the doctor advised. The day came when the dance team boarded the bus for a six hour bus ride to the BSDC. The bus ride was filled with many memorable and fun filled experiences. Soon enough, they arrived to the hotel that evening and after everyone checked in their rooms. After settling in, everyone broke apart to find things to do within the hotel. Jamilla, Janet, and Alicia spent bonding time in the hot tub before they went off to bed.
The next day, was the day everyone was looking forward to. It was the day of the Battle Squad Dance Competition. All of the dancers were warming up backstage when Coach P gave a speech to them reminding them how proud she was of them and to go out and kick butt. While the dancers were behind stage waiting to go on stage, they said a quick prayer and proceeded to walk on stage. When Janet looked out into the audience, beyond the first ten rows, it looked like a sea of black space. The feelings she had when she was dancing was amazing, there was no feeling that could compare with it. When they walked off the stage Janet was limping because her foot was bothering her again, but she didn’t let it take over her thoughts. She needed to quickly get ready for her next performance. Coach P came back to see Janet and noticed her ankle was beginning to swell. Janet ensured that she could perform her solo and to not worry about it even though she was in a lot more pain than she expressed. Regardless, she found herself backstage saying her quick prayer before she walked on stage hoping that her ankle wouldn’t hinder her from performing to her full ability. She walked on, got in her first position, took a deep inhale then exhale. This was it. This was the moment she was looking forward to all year, she finally made it.