Senior Bucket List | Teen Ink

Senior Bucket List

By phobus99 BRONZE, Richmond Heights, Missouri
phobus99 BRONZE, Richmond Heights, Missouri

Author's note:

I've always wanted to do something reckless, and never had before. So I decided to write about it, and violá a new book was created.

SENIOR BUCKET LIST

Characters:
Main - Jessie O’Donnell and Scarlett Williams.
Secondary - Alex Smith and Derek Chaney.

Character Descriptions:

Jessie O’Donnell - Age: 18. Average height around, 5’6” or 5’7”. Slender frame (body), dark brown hair with bright green eyes. She wears thin framed wayfarer glasses and gets straight A’s in high school while also being at the top of her class. She is a very blunt yet sophisticated girl. She will tell you how it is, without hesitation. Though she can be stubborn at times (always wanting the last word in a conversation), there is a sweet shy side to her. And that only happens around Derek Chaney. Though she doesn’t want to admit she has a little bit of soft spot for him. A best friend is Scarlett Williams. Jessie is a senior. Wants to help Scarlett come out of her shell and finally ask Alex out since Scarlett has been pushing it aside since grade school.

Scarlett Williams - Age: 17. Height around 5’3” or 5’4”. Curvy frame (body), auburn curly hair with dark brown eyes. She gets shy and nervous fairly easily. She’s not into going to parties or crowded areas, she rather read a book. But she has a huge crush on Alex Smith. Jessie is a senior, and it’s fairly good grades A’s and B’s. She much rather watches Netflix at home then go to a rave. She blushes very easily and is not used to being complimented. Fairly polite, and very kind. She has a lack of self-confidence which is why she hasn’t asked out Alex since grade school. But she does have a fiery side once you truly get to know her, her sarcasm is the epitome of that “fiery” side. Her best friend Jessie helps her out and tries to get her out of the books for her last year of high school. She’s being taken to all the parties and concerts she has been missing out on the last three years. Scarlett is just worried how she and Alex will pan out by the end of the year.

Alex Smith - Age: 18. Scarlett Williams’s love interest. Charming, sweet, kind, humorous, all-around good guy, loyal, and respectful. He hasn’t really been involved with Scarlett before unless it was for a class. But he has noticed her staring a lot at him in the hallways at school, which he just smiled in return at her. Hazel eyes and dirty blonde, about 5’10 or 5’11” in height. Dresses pretty well put together has a more preppy kind of popular guy cliche vibe.

Derek Chaney - Age: 18. Jessie O’Donnell’s love interest. Quick-thinker, sarcastic, witty, protective, blunt, jokester, and loves to challenge Jessie and make her mad. Has always been infatuated with Jessie, but never admitted it to her. He fits into the cliche bad boy category, he does what he wants when he wants. Wears the cliche leather jacket almost everywhere he goes. Has piercing blue eyes and dark brown almost black hair. 6’1” or 6’2” in height.

FADE IN

INT. JESSIE’S AND SCARLETT'S LOCKERS AT SCHOOL

Scarlett slams her locker with a deep sigh while Jessie looks at her suspiciously before closing hers.

Jessie

What’s up Scar?

Scarlett

Nothing. Like my life has always been. Full of nothing.

She pouts her lip in annoyance.

Jessie

Shakes her head.

Okay, (closes her locker then stands by her) what’s the big deal?

Scarlett

It’s our senior year, I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything.

Jessie

You’re the number one student in almost all of your classes, on the Honor Roll, you’re fluent in Spanish, volunteer at both the Children’s hospital and Humane Society, Student Council President, and you give to charity. What else do you want?

Scarlett

She looks over longingly at the guy that was across the hallway from the English IV classroom. She sees Alex smile at her, and she quickly looks down blushing letting her hair cover her face. She slowly looks up locking eyes with Alex and tucks her hair behind her ear before giving a small smile back. He nods his head before meeting up with one of his guy friends. She sighs again and looks back at Jessie.

All that stuff is okay and I enjoy doing that. But the thing or person I want to be with it’ll probably won’t happen.

Jessie

I’m tired of you getting down on yourself. (says sternly) You are a grown woman, take charge of your life. Do something fun. All you been doing since your freshman year is give and give and give, when have you ever did something fun and reckless for once?

Scarlett

She started to think for a second.

Never, to be honest. I’m not like you blunt, sassy, and fun. I’m soft, shy, and dull.

She shrugs.

Jessie

Grabs Scarlett's arms and started speed walking to towards the exit of the school.

Scarlett

Uh, um. Where the hell are we going?

Jessie doesn’t answer her. (continued).

We can’t just leave. (says exasperatedly)

Jessie

Oh yes, we can. Scarlett Elizabeth Williams, we are about to enter a new world. My world.

Scarlett

I don’t think I like the sound of that.

Jessie

She rolls her eyes.

The first thing about entering my world, you do reckless things. Like how we are ditching school today.

Scarlett

Tries to stop Jessie from pulling her along by taking steps back, but Jessie is stronger than her.

We can’t just leave, we haven’t even had the first period yet.

Jessie

Stop being such a goody goody.

Scarlett

But I have an AP Calculus Test today.

Jessie

You're not taking it.

FADE OUT of the scene once both Jessie and Scarlett walk out the doors of the school.

FADE INTO NEXT SCENE.
INT. in Scarlett's car.

Scarlett

You know you're holding me against my will right.

Jessie

You're being a little melodramatic, don’t you think.

Scarlett

She scoffs.

No.

Jessie

She concentrates on texting on her phone while also trying to drive at the same time. Scarlett looks around as she sees that another vehicle almost hit them, and Jessie still hadn’t noticed because she’s on her phone.

Scarlett

I really don’t want to get into a car accident to today.

Jessie

Stop being paranoid and look at this.

She tosses her phone into Scarlett's lap. Scarlett picks up and looks at the phone.

Scarlett

She begins to read the words on the screen which says: SCAR’S SENIOR BUCKET LIST. She looks at Jessie.

I thought people aren’t supposed to make bucket list unless they are going to die soon or something like that.

Jessie
Well, this is kind of like that, you senior year will be dying out soon. So I thought it is good if I created a bucket list for you, and we are doing all of them. We already completed number one on the list

Scarlett

And what was that?

Jessie

Skipping school.

She smiles.

Scarlett

You know my Mom is gonna kill me for doing that, right?

Jessie

She’ll get over it. We're about to go do another one of the things off your bucket list.

Jessie drives into the mall parking lot, then parks the car.

Scarlett

The mall... Why are we at the mall? You know I hate shopping.

Jessie

Starts smirking.

Read number four.

Scarlett

Why do I get the feeling that you put something dirty or bad on here?

Jessie
(continued).
It’s not bad, as long as we don’t get caught.

Scarlett

She reads number four then gasps.

I am not shoplifting!

Jessie

Oh yes, you are. Get out of the car we are going shopping for free today.

Jessie gets out of the car and walks towards the Mall. Scarlett sits in the car not moving, going to sit it out. Jessie rolls her eyes.

How are you gonna get home if you don’t have the keys to your own car?

She lifts an eyebrow dangling the keys to show Scarlett she has them.

Scarlett

Gets annoyed and frustrated gets out of the car, then slams it shut before walking quickly towards the mall entrance passing Jessie.

Jessie

She smiles brightly in victory, then runs up next Scarlett linking their arms together.

This should be fun.

FADE OUT.

CAMERA FADE INTO NEXT SCENE: Dressing room where Jessie is throwing dresses for Scarlett to try on.

Scarlett

I can’t keep trying clothes on Jess, it’s been more than twenty minutes and I’m tired.

She pouts.

Jessie

Opens up the dressing room door quickly then steps in, closing the door behind her.

So, what do you think?

She does a little twirl in her blue long sleeve open back bodycon dress.

Scarlett

It’s a beautiful dress, but you look pretty in everything either way. Why are you getting a dress anyways?

Jessie

We.

She put her hands are Scarlett shoulder.

Are going to a party tonight.

Scarlett

What? No! But I–.

Jessie

No buts. We are going. And it’s number seven on your list.

Jessie quickly steps out then comes back in with a black dress hanging from hanger then hands it to Scarlett.

Here’s the last dress I’m handing to you, I think you're gonna like this one.

Scarlett

She quickly changes while Jessie turns around facing the door, the dress fits like a glove and Jessie turns around. The dress is a long sleeve black v-neck bodycon dress. It didn’t show too much cleavage but was enough to still look a little sexy than conservative.

Both characters

Wow.

They both giggle afterwards.

Jessie

This is the dress.

Scarlett

I love it.

She runs her hands over her hips and checks herself out in the mirror.

Jessie

Good, now take off the tag. We getting these babies for free.

She rips off her tag and waits till Scarlett gives in with a smile, rips off hers.

Scarlett

Now, what?

Jessie

We put our clothes back on over these ones, good thing we wore baggy clothes today. Hurry, I’ll meet you at the entrance.

She scurries out of the dressing room.

Scarlett

Quickly pulls on her hoodie and sweatpants, then sneaks out of the dressing room undetected. She looks around while searching for Jessie to see if she made it out but Scarlett ends up bumping into Alex.

Alex

Aw, s***. Sorry, I didn’t see you there.

Scarlett

Gapes at Alex before clearing her throat.

N-no. It’s f-fine.

Alex

How come you're not at school? Did you ditch?

Smirks are her.

Scarlett

She smiles shyly.

Um, yeah.

Alex

The goody goody is becoming a bad girl. It’s kind of cliche but I like it.

Scarlett

She blushes.

Why are you skipping school?

Alex

Didn’t feel like going to my second class.

He shrugs.

Scarlett

So are you going to the party tonight?

Alex

Lindsey Wallace’s party? Yeah, I’m going. Will I get to see you there?

Scarlett

All she does is nod her head since she is surprised by what he said.

Alex

Cool. I would have been bummed out if you didn’t. I’ll see you tonight then.

He smiles then walks away.

Scarlett

U-uh. Bye!

Alex

Looks back then winks at Scarlett, and she practically swoons.

Scarlett

She sighs with a big goofy smile on her face.

Jessie

MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!

Jessie comes running past Scarlett. Scarlett hurries up and runs.

Scarlett

Who are we running from?

Jessie

Security guards.

She points back at the large group of them, behind them. Scarlett's eyes go wide.

Scarlett

Aw, s***!

Then starts sprinting along with Jessie.

Jessie

You just cursed, you’ve never cursed. That’s number two on the list! Yes!

She laughs and Scarlett rolls her eyes as they continue to run until they are out of the store and into the car.

Scarlett

Now that was scary.

Jessie

But fun, now let’s get ready for that party tonight.

Scarlett

It’s only 3 something the party doesn’t start until 7:30 I thought.

Jessie

I know, but we will need all the time we can get.

Jessie starts the car then drives off.

Now let’s get this pretty face all dolled up.

She pinches Scarlett's cheek while Scarlett scrunches up her nose in annoyance. Jessie just laughs.

CAMERA FADE OUT.

CAMERA FADE IN AGAIN.
INT. LINDSEY’S HOUSE

CAMERA PANS TO TWO GIRLS BACKS WALKING INTO A LARGE HOUSE. SWEATY BODIES DANCE A WALK AROUND THE ROOM WHILE RANDOM LIQUOR BOTTLES ARE PLACED EVERYWHERE, AS WELL AS LOUD PULSATING EDM (ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC) MUSIC PLAYS.

Jessie ONE THE RIGHT WEARING A BLUE LONG SLEEVE OPEN BACK BODYCON DRESS, Scarlett ON THE LEFT IN BLACK LONG SLEEVE V-NECK BODYCON DRESS.

Jessie

Makes a disgusted look.

Ugh… Either someone has been drinking a large amount of alcohol, or something just died in here.

Scarlett

Oh god, I haven’t even been on the dance floor and I’m already sweating like a pig.

She says raising her arm and sniffing her armpits.

Jessie

It’s not that bad.

She looks around at the crowd of people trying to spot someone.

You can hardly tell.

Scarlett
Really?
Jessie looks back at Alex, then looks forward again.

Jessie

No, you like you just came out of a pool.

Scarlett

She makes an embarrassed expression.

Jessie

Finds Alex then smiles while looking back at Scarlett.

Hey, cheer up. Alex is here.

Scarlett

She looks up and see Alex standing by all the drinks, talking to random people

Oh god, he is. I’m so nervous Jessie…

Jessie

Well don’t get too nervous, you’ll start dripping on the floor.

They walk a little further while behind them a random drunk girl named Lindsey runs into the hallway Jessie and Scarlett just walked off of.

CUT TO FALLING SCENE:

Lindsey

She raises her arms up.

Let’s Party! WOOOOOOO!

She slips on sweet spot left behind by Scarlett, Lindsey falls on her back hard.

Crowd

Oh!

Lindsey

S*** who forgot to put up the wet floor sign.
(continued.)
Groans trying to push herself back up. She stumbles as she gets back on her feet.

Random Girl

You okay, Lindsey?

Lindsey

She begins to pout.

I want to go home.

Random Girl

Shakes her head.

You are at home. This your house.

Lindsey
Oh…

Makes a confused expression then smiles.

Right. Best party EVER!

Emphasizes the syllables in the word “ever” while yelling towards the crowd.

Crowd

WOOOO!

Lindsey

Tries to walk but stumbles a little, Random Girl catches her. She giggles.

I’m fine…

She pets random girl’s head like she’s a dog. Then has a realization moment.
(continued.)
I need more happy juice.

She walks away stumbling into people.

Random Girl

Make good choices!

INT. to PEP TALK SCENE:

Jessie and Scarlett stand in the wide doorway where Alex is about 20 or so feet away, standing by the drinks sipping out of a solo cup.

Jessie

Okay, there he is.

Scarlett

I’m so nervous. He’s gonna think I’m total a spazz.

Says nervously and brings a strand a hair over to her mouth starts to gnaw on it.

Jessie

What are you doing?

Looks Scarlett up and down.

Scarlett

What?

Looks down and then realizes what she’s doing

Oh, I usually do that when I’m really nervous.

she continues to gnaw on hair, in panic.

Jessie
(continued)
Well, stop. You're chewing on your hair like some crazy bastard has been depriving you of food for the last two weeks until you start rubbing lotion on yourself. Now listen.

Scarlett stops and pushes the strand of hair away and tries to act normal.

Jessie

You're a tough girl, just get in there.

Her hand rests on Scarlett's shoulder.

Scarlett

Yeah.

She nods her head in agreements.

Jessie

Just go over there, do a little chit chat, and then ask him to dance.

Scarlett

Yeah, I will.

She nods head in again while looking over at Alex.

Jessie

Alright, got get him.

Smiles brightly and playfully pushes Scarlett's shoulder.

Scarlett

Maybe later.

nods heads… (continued)

Or tomorrow? Maybe after school tomorrow.
nods head then looks at Jessie.

Yeah, that’ll work.

begins to walk the other direction, Jessie grabs Scarlett and brings Scarlett back over to her side.

Jessie

Not so fast…

Scarlett

Ugh…

groans in annoyance.

Jessie

I busted my ass to get both of us into this party. And I do not want my best friend to miss out on this opportunity of getting some arm candy that got da best-looking ass out of all the dudes in the entire state of Ohio.

Scarlett

laughs

Jessie

You know it's true.

giggles then compose himself.

Anyways, just act natural. Everything will be fine.

says calmly and soothingly.

(camera focuses in on Scarlett as she walks towards Alex)

Scarlett

Yeah… I can do that

begins to walk towards Alex (continued)

Act natural…

takes a deep breath.

(cuts from Scarlett,focuses on Jessie)

SCENE 3 --

A guy name Derek (in a dark blue v-neck and dark jeans)walks into the room and leans against the wall by Jessie.

Jessie

Please don’t mess this up.

bites bottom lip nervously

(Camera finally expands to show full picture of both characters [audience get a glimpse of derek], then moves to just headshots)
Derek

Don’t mess up what?

Derek drinks out of the solo cup while Jessie is startled and looks at Derek [who is on the other side of Jessie, leaning against the wall] with a questioning look.

Jessie

Why are you here, Derek?

Derek

Why can’t I be here?

Jessie

Why are you answering my question with another question?

Derek

Why are you asking so many questions?

He looks at the dancing crowd.

Jessie

Cause I can, you jerk.

She crosses her arms.

Derek

Why are you so uptight?

He looks at Jessie.

Jessie

I am not uptight.

She scoffs.

Derek

Oh really,

He rolls eyes.

So why aren’t you on the dancefloor twerking like the rest of the girls?

Jessie

I don’t need to twerk,

She looks down at herself.

anything, just go away.

She sternly says at the end.

-silence for a few seconds-

Derek

Do you wanna get out of here?

He takes another sip out of his cup.

Jessie

No.

She says annoyed.

Derek

Do you….wanna make out?

Jessie

She scoffs again

No!

She says flabbergasted crosses arms, but secretly gazes at Derek.

Derek

He shrugs

Okay.

He hands the cup to another random person that happens to be walking by, then pops neck.

Wanna dance?

Jessie

No...

She says quietly and looks down, Derek grabs Jessie's hand and drags Jessie to the dance floor.

Hey!

Derek

Smiles brightly. (continued).

Jessie

Derek, I can’t dance like this…

She says loudly cause the music is pounding while other people bumping up next to her.

There're too many people.

Derek

I guess we just have to get closer.

He grabs Jessie by her waist and brings her body closer to his.

Just follow my lead.

Derek says into Jessie’s ear, Jessie nods their head and nervously smiles.

-Music fills the room while Jessie and Derek start dancing close together as they get lost into the music.-

(camera zooms quickly pass roaming and drunk teenagers, occasional slow-mo moments but quickly shows the next scene)

SCENE 4--

Alex (continued).

Oh, hey.

He smiles.

Scarlett

Hi.

She nervously laughs.

Alex

Great party, right?

Scarelett (continued).
Yeah, it’s a great party. An awesome party. Like who doesn’t like parties,

Points to herself.

I LOVE (emphasis) parties. I’m the party QUEEN.

Alex

Gives Scarlett with questioning look, then chuckles.

Scarlett

Uh yeah, so do you come here...

She tries to lean against the dresser that was right by them, but didn’t notice a few other guys by them, moved the item

Often?

Scarlett falls to the floor.

Alex

Aw s***, you okay?

He squats down to see if Scarlett is okay.

Scarlett

Besides falling on my ass and making a fool out of myself in front of the entirely drunk student body, I think I’ll survive.

She says sarcastically.

Alex

He chuckles.

Here,

He stretches his hand down to Scarlett.

Let me help you up.

Scarlett

She smiles and grabs Alex’s hand and is lifted up by Alex, where Scarlett is back up on their feet

Thank you.

And she blushes in embarrassment.

Alex

Your welcome… Maybe I should keep an eye on you.

Scarlett

What? Why?

She asks quickly.

Alex

You seem accident prone, plus I have nothing else to do besides drink. But I have to be a designated driver tonight, so maybe keeping an eye on you will distract me from staying here with the booze.

He smirks at Scarlett.

Scarlett

Scarlett starts to get anxious and nervous...

Thank you, but that will not be necessary…

She begins backing up.

And I’m not accident prone.

-Two random guys (extras) are holding up a couch walk towards the two (Scarlett and Alex) to get pass-

Random Guy 1

Heads up!

Scarlett

She turns around hitting her head against the wood bottom frame of the couch, then begins to fall backwards by the force of it all.

Alex

He comes in and catches Scarlett.

Watch where you’re going!

He yells at the two guys holding up couch

Random Guy 1 and 2

Sorry, man!

Scarlett

She squints her eyes and begins to rub her slowly beginning to swell forehead. She then groans afterwards from the pain.

Alex

He looks down at Scarlett.

Are you okay?

Scarlett

Stares at Alex with a duh expression on her face.

Alex

Right. That was a stupid question to ask. Let’s get you some ice.

He lifts Scarlett into their arms and carries her to the kitchen while Scarlett just nods her head was not knowing how to respond.

(camera dissolves to black)